i30 Owners Club

New Generation i30 diesel service schedule

Horizon · 15 · 8708

Offline Horizon

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Sheffield
Just joined and first post so please be gentle!  :confused:

I am a driving instructor and have just bought an 18 plate i30 1.6 CRDI SE model with 5500 on the clock. I do around 40-50k miles a year and want to keep the engine in tip top condition so want it servicing regularly but don't want to pay main dealer prices.

I know the service interval is 20k miles, and that different levels of service are required at different mileages, but what I'm trying to find (and can't find it on the 'net) is what each different service is comprised of so that I can take the schedule to my local garage and get them to price it up and to do the service for me.  Does anyone have any links?

Also, would you recommend an oil and filter change halfway between services?
  • i30 1.6 CRDI SE

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Welcome :)

All service schedules and requirement checks should be listed in your Owners Manual and Service and Warranty Passport.

Personally I've never understood why Euro service intervals are set so high, 20,000 miles is double our service interval times and even at that length the oil is nearing it's usefullness, pure synthetic PAO oils have the longest protection capabilities and even those say maximum 19,000km's = 11.800miles.

Being a new car I think your services would be capped through Hyundai so they might be quite competitive in service costs for the first few years at least :undecided:
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 13:14:17 by CraigB »

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :whsaid:

If you don't have it, get it from your vendor. :TutTut:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcome:

:wts:  Wow! I'm surprised at such big mileage.  Normally big mileage in a short time is good for an engine,  but I'm guessing yours is made up of many short trips so for the reasons Craig said would be worth doing interim oil and filter changes. We can help you identify the right oil and filter for your car so you can source them cheaply, maybe even in bulk to reduce ongoing costs too.  :victory:

At least you will be able to claim a tax deduction I guess too.  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
I've attached a service schedule from when my car was last serviced. It's a 2015 i30 but I think the schedule is the same. It goes without saying that not having it serviced by a dealer could give then an excuse for not honouring the warranty. I change the engine oil myself every 10,000 miles, using the recommended Shell Helix AG, and a genuine Hyundai filter (which is a Mahle branded part). Although the manual states the oil capacity is 5.3 litres, I find that a 5 litre can of oil fills it up to the MAX mark on the dipstick.

The 2 year service interval is to make the car cheaper to run for the benefit of the big fleet buyers. They're not bothered as long as the car will last for 3 years by which time they will have sold it on.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 21:14:11 by CraigB »
  • i30 CRD

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Make sure you read the severe operating conditions servicing conditions which generally will state more frequent changes.

Personal preference , I do my FD diesels @ 6 months or 10000km, oil + filter change.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline marti30

• 3rd Gear
My original 2009.5 model year UK spec 1.6 crdi had a 12,500 mile service interval. From the outset I had it serviced independently every 20,000 miles and kept it for just over 8 years and 288,800 miles. Warranty issues were still dealt with by the supplying dealer.
Its replacement is a new PD 1.6 crdi which in 6 just over months has clocked up over 25,000 miles. It has a 20,000 mile service interval and had its first service at 20,000 miles at the tried and trusted independent garage that maintained my previous one.
In my experience frequent servicing and oil changes are not necessary and decent independent garages can obtain all the information and parts that they need.

Offline Horizon

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Sheffield

Offline Brian_45

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Edinburgh
I collected a new i30 tourer diesel model year 2019 last week and can confirm that neither the owners manual or the service record book give a maintenance schedule. The record book provides for annual or 10000 mile services but nowhere is it indicated precisely what is to be done at each service.

Asking for a 5 year service plan gave:

20000 Miles/ 1 Year Service 2017
Age at Service: 1 | Service Date: Oct 2019
£161.60

40000 Miles/ 2 Year Service 2017
Age at Service: 2 | Service Date: Oct 2020
£318.64

60000 Miles/ 3 Year Service 2017
Age at Service: 3 | Service Date: Oct 2021
£169.78

80000 Miles/ 4 Year Service 2017
Age at Service: 4 | Service Date: Oct 2022
£334.77

100000 Miles/ 5 Year Service 2017
Age at Service: 5 | Service Date: Oct 2023
£178.38

(notice 20000 miles, not 10000)

I asked a dealer service department what the "annual free vehicle health checks" meant and wouldn't they be part of a service anyway? Apparently they are different - a service carries out listed tasks and doesn't check the general health of the vehicle!

Searching the web for service schedules turned up an Irish dealership where things seem to be clearer and bi annual services seem to be the requirement with intermediate free vehicle health checks.

I wonder if the UK obscurity is to make things difficult for independent garage servicing?
  • I30 Tourer Premium SE 1.6 diesel manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Welcome Brian, Thanks for that. Very interesting. We in OZ have always been fascinated and a little concerned by your longer service intervals. In Australia our Diesels have always been 12 months or 15,000 kilometres whichever comes 1st.

Some of our Aussie members do an interim oil change at 7,500 kms.!

My petrol Turbo 2017 model is every 10,000 kms which is a right pain at times considering I'm in the habit of doing regular 4000 and 5000 kilometre road trips!  :crazy1:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Welcome Brian, Thanks for that. Very interesting. We in OZ have always been fascinated and a little concerned by your longer service intervals. In Australia our Diesels have always been 12 months or 15,000 kilometres whichever comes 1st.

Some of our Aussie members do an interim oil change at 7,500 kms.!

My petrol Turbo 2017 model is every 10,000 kms which is a right pain at times considering I'm in the habit of doing regular 4000 and 5000 kilometre road trips!  :crazy1:

Toyota desiels  used to every 5000kms to try to stop sludge build up in the block. At one stage my work hilux was getting its oil changed every 2 weeks.  Working away for 11 days at a time.
Oils must be better now  (?) , but I  look at the oil colour difference between petrol and desiel after a couple of months and the desiel looks crap .  :crazy1:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Brian_45

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Edinburgh
I asked Hyundai for the service schedule for my car classified as "after 1st September 2017" diesel. Services are yearly or 20000 miles whichever comes first.
There seems to be no provision for lower mileage services (the more usual 10000 per annum) in that (rather unusually for the UK) brake fluid has to be changed every year and cabin filters every 2 years.

See the attached file for the schedule.
  • I30 Tourer Premium SE 1.6 diesel manual

Offline MT-RED

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Nottingham, England
Not a chance I would leave it 20k to be honest. With the changes in oils over the years I don't think 3 or 6 monthly is critical anymore (as I used to do) but I would be doing an oil change and general service every 10k or 12m, whichever came first.

It really depends on your ownership plans though I suppose. If you are on PCP and will be swapping every 3 years I am sure you will just stick with the schedule and ensure your warranty is covered that way.

I buy to own for as long as it behaves and hence service as part of a longer term investment
  • 2017 GD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6, Manual, Grey

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Not a chance I would leave it 20k to be honest. With the changes in oils over the years I don't think 3 or 6 monthly is critical anymore (as I used to do) but I would be doing an oil change and general service every 10k or 12m, whichever came first.

It really depends on your ownership plans though I suppose. If you are on PCP and will be swapping every 3 years I am sure you will just stick with the schedule and ensure your warranty is covered that way.

I buy to own for a long as it behaves and hence service as part of a longer term investment

That is pretty much in line with how things are done in Australia with the diesel. 12 months or 15,000 kilometres.

You have made some excellent comments/ observations in your first few posts.  :thanks:

Offline MT-RED

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Nottingham, England
Cheers mate, hope I can add more value as I learn more about the car from you experts  :goodjob:
  • 2017 GD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6, Manual, Grey

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal