i30 Owners Club

i30 Diesel -09 -Glowplugs problem

Offline Knotvillage

• 1st Gear

• se Sweden
I have have a i30 and when i turn on the ignition the glowindicator only lights up for about 1 sec. I have changed the relay on the right fender. There is another relay that click under the dashboard. When that click the glowindicator turns OFF.
  • I30 Diesel -09

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I have have a i30 and when i turn on the ignition the glowindicator only lights up for about 1 sec. I have changed the relay on the right fender. There is another relay that click under the dashboard. When that click the glowindicator turns OFF.
SO what's the question? Just because the indicator goes out does not mean ithas stopped glowing. Have yo placed a volt meter on the connector to the glow plug buss bar to see what voltage is present and for how long after the key is initially turned to on?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Knotvillage

• 1st Gear

• se Sweden
The plugs have power about the same time. 1-2 seconds. There must be some sort of timerelay.
  • I30 Diesel -09

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
The plugs have power about the same time. 1-2 seconds. There must be some sort of timerelay.
There is, but I've never worked it all out. I know on mine it stays lit for a few seconds  but can have power still applied up to 30 seconds and is temperature dependant.

I'll have a read, It has a big fusible link but have you also checked resistance in the circuit?

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
It reckons it should stay lit for 6 seconds, and stays powered for another 30 seconds, 36 seconds in total and that's with a coolant temp of 20C

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
It says when the voltage or continuity time is not normal, check terminal voltage in glow control unit and single parts. Interesting wording, could be more specific.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
All I see circuit wise is the ECM that drives the Glow Plug Relay which would be in the engine bay

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
The main relay is also in the engine bay, I wonder what relay inside You are hearing?

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
And the glow time lamp indicator comes straight from the ECM to the cluster.

Offline Knotvillage

• 1st Gear

• se Sweden
I Aldo wonder what that i. When i turn on the ignition it click and after 1-2 seconds it click again and the glowindicator turns off. So the CEM decides the time of the glow?
  • I30 Diesel -09

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I Aldo wonder what that i. When i turn on the ignition it click and after 1-2 seconds it click again and the glowindicator turns off. So the CEM decides the time of the glow?
That's the impression I get based on the Engine coolant sensor. It does not go into it in great detail on any safety circuits.

Not sure if checking the  temp sensor will reveal anything. Could it be a bad ECM? I have no answers for you.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
And the glow time lamp indicator comes straight from the ECM to the cluster.

Been having same conversation

:link: Long Crank on Cold Start.

Probable verdict = ECM,  circuit and cheap remedy provided.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal