i30 Owners Club

Issues: steering and clutch noise

Rikki · 10 · 5201

Offline Rikki

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hi all, new to the forum!

I was hoping someone could provide some input.

I purchased a 2012 i30 Active  just over a week ago, as far as the model goes I love it, I have driven a few, however this car appears to have a few issues.

There is a chirping sound from the clutch pedal/gear box region on gear changes, mostly 1st to 3rd.  The steering is heavier to the right than the left and almost spring loaded pulling back to the centre to the point that I almost side swiped a car changing when lanes.  When rolling to a stop with the clutch down there appears to be a low grumbling, rotating sound from the rear.

I've had it back to the dealer and in standard dealer fashion they state that they can't hear a sound from the clutch although it was perfectly audible when I picked it up again, they balanced the steering which has made it slightly better but still heavier to the right.  There is a whirling sound on the steering louder to the right than the left at low speed however I can assume this is the EPS.

Is there a steering lock on this i30? If so this also does not appear to work.

Apologies for the long moan but I would be interested on everyone's opinion before I reject the car.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 22:23:49 by Rikki »
  • 2012 i30 1.4 Active

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Rikki,

Really sorry to hear this. Not a good start. Yes, definitely a steering lock on all models of i30.

EPS problems can be expensive to fix (usually requires replacement) Hard to say if the clutch issue is major or not.

I hate the standard dealer "no fault found" BS.. so frustrating.

Might be safest to reject the car and look for a better one, while you still have the chance.

Be interesting to see what others think.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Errmm... New TO YOU car perhaps, not NEW car. 2012 release makes your GD 7 years old. Misleading thread title, most would think PD when reading it.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Rikki

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Cheers for the reply, yeah it doesn't look good, the car has 34k miles on it with full history BUT its only previous owner is the same master mechanic at the franchised dealer who has now said they can't find a fault or hear an obvious noise.
  • 2012 i30 1.4 Active

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Cheers for the reply, yeah it doesn't look good, the car has 34k miles on it with full history BUT its only previous owner is the same master mechanic at the franchised dealer who has now said they can't find a fault or hear an obvious noise.

That does open up a can of worms. Shame as low mileage if genuine. Does it have full service history. If service book is missing could ring alarm bells.  :exclaim:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

That does open up a can of worms. Shame as low mileage if genuine. Does it have full service history. If service book is missing could ring alarm bells.  :exclaim:
He says full service history in the bit you quoted.
I'd get out of it if you can.
As an aside.
NEVER let the dealer drive your car looking for faults without you on board.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
And on THAT note - get rid of it.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

He says full service history in the bit you quoted.
I'd get out of it if you can.
As an aside.
NEVER let the dealer drive your car looking for faults without you on board.

I've apparently got quite a high IQ it's just my eyes don't work very well..  :head_butt:

Sorry @Rikki

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi all, new to the forum!

they balanced the steering which has made it slightly better but still heavier to the right.  There is a whirling sound on the steering louder to the right than the left at low speed however I can assume this is the EPS.

Is there a steering lock on this i30? If so this also does not appear to work.

Apologies for .........

No need to apologise  mate!

Moving on from the above>>> mechanic's advice >>>>>

1.Yes, you  have a steering lock.

2.The so-called balanced steering is a load of crap.  You do NOT notice  a heavier  load left to right,,

3. Not worth addressing clutch noise. You probably have a repaired writeoff.  Go back to dealer and insert car.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal