i30 Owners Club

2010 Rear Wheel Bearing Hub Assembly Removal

Offline pintman

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Conwy
Hi, I was wondering if anyone would have any advice or suggestions for me as I am trying to replace a rear wheel bearing hub assembly on my 1.4 petrol 2010.
I've gotten as far as removing the caliper, brake disc and removed the 4 bolts on the back. I've fought against the rust holding the hub and backplate to the knuckle (with some heavy persuasion) but I can't seem to separate the backplate (with the handbrake hardware on it) from the actual hub. Seems rust welded.
I've got hold of some penetrating fluid that I will try out and it's quite awkward trying to smack it out the way it is without bending the backplate - I can't help but feel like I'm missing something. Do I remove the handbrake hardware for easy access and chisel around the edges? Inserting the bolts at the back and smacking them? Clueless!
Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated! Before I give in and go to a man :lol:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 20:08:39 by pintman »
  • 2010 ES 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.4, Manual, Red

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
:link: map gas torch - Google Search

WD40 for a day , if no go try some heat. That always works if you have all the bolts out. Possibly some sealant is assisting the rust???

We are salt, rust and Boris free down here.  :sweating:  Rarely have I had to remove an FD hub. From memory, it should have dropped off and then you remove linkage.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
We are salt, rust and Boris free down here.
:rofl:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline pintman

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Conwy
Lucky for some :lol: :lol: :lol:

Eventually did it - gave in to removing the handbrake hardware and shoes which was pretty easy. Had so much more clearance, proper wd40 soakage then used this small chisel like tool and hammered around the edges until I saw a gap forming between the assembly and the backplate. Finished it off with a pry tool and just popped off.

Appreciate it guys, oh what i'd give to not have to worry about any rust ever... or BoJo for that matter.
  • 2010 ES 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.4, Manual, Red

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
I followed your advice to get the hub off, it was rusted on pretty solid. Here's a photo of the hub after removal, along with the deep 14mm socket used to take the bolts off, and the improvised chisel I used to break the hub away from the hub carrier. It's an old table knife with the blade cut short and then filed to a sharp edge. I had to undo the shock absorber lower fixing to move it aside to get my socket wrench in position, but other than the hub being stuck, it went a lot easier than I thought it might.

• i30 CRD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal