i30 Owners Club

2008 CRDI Wheel bearing replacement

Offline i30CRDI

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Hornsby
Hi Folks,
Still have our 2008 CRDI and its been a great car with only 1 issue that was a faulty ESP sensor that was fixed under warranty. I noticed a slight droning noise on one of the rear wheels but though it may have been the aging tyres so recently replaced them. The noise is still there however so I'm thinking its a wheel bearing thats on its way out. I have been looking at bearings online and wondered if these are the correct bearings for this model? they seem cheap for a pair so might price up some genuine ones as well but wondering if anyone has done the rear bearings themselves and can share any tips?

:link: Pair Rear Wheel Bearing Hub For Hyundai Elantra HD 2006-2009 i30 FD 2007-2010 | eBay

Thanks
Mark

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Mate, I wish @tw2005 was about.. I seem to recall him mentioning wheel bearings.. or was it @nzenigma

I'll search for them...

Put "wheel bearings" in inverted comma's in our search engine and browse the threads that come up.. Should find your answer
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline i30CRDI

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Hornsby
Hi Mate, I wish @tw2005 was about.. I seem to recall him mentioning wheel bearings.. or was it @nzenigma

I'll search for them...

Put "wheel bearings" in inverted comma's in our search engine and browse the threads that come up.. Should find your answer

Thanks Mate, I have read through the post related to Wheel bearings and now I'm wondering if its just tyre noise as the car has only done 95k KM's. I had a mechanic mate sit in the back while I went for a drive and straight away he said wheel bearing! but after reading some of the post others have changed the bearings and the noise was still occurring. Ah well I guess I will have to replace to know for sure and I can get CBC (NTN) brand bearings for around $143 from Supercheap auto so not so bad considering its a complete hub unit.

Thanks
Mark

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
I experienced a 'thrumming'  noise from my partners 2011 diesel not long after having Hankook Ventus Prime 3 tyres fitted on rear. I thought it might be the rear wheel bearing but as MoT was due soon I left it for tester to look at. He said bearing was fine but he could feel 'scalloping' on inner edge of tyres. He said this could be due to worn shock absorbers and/or bad tyre selection and/or rear tracking. I fitted new shockers, this eliminated the noise though the tyres eventually scrubbed off on the inner tread blocks. Replaced with Goodyears which are showing nice even wear. Rear tracking has been checked and is OK.

To check wheel bearing, I would put car in gear, chock front wheels, handbrake off. Jack wheel up, grab hold of tyre top and bottom and shake it to see if you can feel any play. Repeat holding tyre at left and right. Take care not to push car off jack! Spin wheel and see if you can hear the bearing rumble. You might need to lift the brake caliper off so the wheel spins more freely without the pads rubbing.

Car has now done 199,000 miles and original bearings still good.
  • i30 CRD

Offline i30CRDI

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Hornsby
I experienced a 'thrumming'  noise from my partners 2011 diesel not long after having Hankook Ventus Prime 3 tyres fitted on rear. I thought it might be the rear wheel bearing but as MoT was due soon I left it for tester to look at. He said bearing was fine but he could feel 'scalloping' on inner edge of tyres. He said this could be due to worn shock absorbers and/or bad tyre selection and/or rear tracking. I fitted new shockers, this eliminated the noise though the tyres eventually scrubbed off on the inner tread blocks. Replaced with Goodyears which are showing nice even wear. Rear tracking has been checked and is OK.

To check wheel bearing, I would put car in gear, chock front wheels, handbrake off. Jack wheel up, grab hold of tyre top and bottom and shake it to see if you can feel any play. Repeat holding tyre at left and right. Take care not to push car off jack! Spin wheel and see if you can hear the bearing rumble. You might need to lift the brake caliper off so the wheel spins more freely without the pads rubbing.

Car has now done 199,000 miles and original bearings still good.

Thanks Brendan, I did already check the bearing with the car jacked up and no play or noise when the wheel is spun so I am really beginning to think its not the bearing especially when the car has below 100,000 km. I will have a look at the shocks as well. So in your case you did not need an alignment but the uneven tyre wear was down to the Hankooks?

Cheers
Mark

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
Hard to say whether it was the tyres only, or the shock absorbers only, or interaction between the two. The tyres were fitted end of January, and the tyres they replaced had worn nice and even, so no reason to think the rear tracking was out. The MoT was 5 months later. by which time the car had done about another 10,000 miles, and this 'thrumming' sound had progressively got louder. I waited until after MoT to fix it in case they found other test failures that made it uneconomic to repair. That's when the tester showed me the scalloping on rear tyres and suggested it could be worn shocks and/or bad tyres.

I replaced the shockers as that's a reasonably cheap and easy job, and the car had done 150,000 miles on the originals. The 'thrumming' sound went away but it didn't stop the rear tyres wearing away on the inner edge. After another 30,000 miles I replaced them after all the inner blocks of tread had scrubbed off, but the tread across the rest of the tyres was hardly worn.

The Goodyears that are now on the car have done about 20,000 miles and are wearing quite evenly, with no excessive wear on either the inner or outer shoulders. Recently had the tracking checked, and whilst the rear alignment isn't perfect, it is within the green tolerance band. I also had the Ventus Prime 3 on the front wheels and they were fine.
  • i30 CRD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal