i30 Owners Club

Fitted Bilstein B6 shocks to FD CRDI wagon general update

Offline mrexcitement

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Hi Guys,

It's been over 3 years now since i fitted the Bilstein B6 shocks and Eibach lowered springs and also a shark racing adjustable rear lower control arm (adjustable camber for the rear)

I also added a whiteline heavy duty rear sway bar and bushings.

No issues or problems , stil handles like a dream , i cruise around most of the time but every now and then i give it the beans through the twisty stuff and every time i do i'm impressed at how stable and controlled it is  :D , it just begs to be pushed harder.

I run a racechip Pro and it's been on there about the same time and makes a big difference in power . I removed it for a couple of weeks as i thought it was giving me some idling problems (turned out to be bad connections) and the difference really surprised me ( it felt very sluggish and slow ) . While it was removed i went dirt bike riding so was towing the bike trailer and have made this journey hundreds of times. With the racechip fitted it would only ever need to drop down 1 gear ( 4sp auto)  on one long steep hill with cruise control on , no racechip fitted and it probably dropped down gears about 12 - 13 times . The racechip allows the motor to produce more power lower in the revs which suits the old school 4 speed better as it wants to rev the crap out of the diesel if you just keep the foot planted.

I recently removed the roof racks as i was never going to use them and this was something i always wanted to do. Some european i30 CW's didn't come with roof racks and had long black blanking strips in there place. I ordered these and just had to carefully cut off the studs that are spot welded to the roof and fit the blanking strips.
It looks much better and i knew they would have been creating drag but didn't expect 100km per tank more in economy (city) , well worth removing.

I currently have a spare set of headlights apart at the moment with plans to fit proper hid projectors and maybe some led high beams i found (haven't received them yet to test , i actually plan to hot them up like the led torches i have done and they were really impressive)

I upgraded the stereo about 2 years ago with :

Sb Acoutsics SB29RDNC-C0004 tweeters x 2
Sb Acoustics SB17MFC35-4 Midwoofers x 2
Alpine UTE-93DAB head unit single din (plays Flac Files)
JL Audio TWK audio processor
Alpine PDX-F6 150w x 4 amp
Alpine PDX-M12 1200w Subwoofer amp
Subwoofer 2 x Dayton audio RSS265HO-4 10" + 2 x Passive Dayton Audio RSS265-PR 10" in 45 litre box.

I don't have the subwoofer box fitted yet as it turned out to be a lot heavier than i expected (was going to come up with a lighter solution) but it's sounds friggin awesome in the car.
I have since decided i will use it but just haven't fitted it yet.

The other reason i have been in no rush to fit the subwoofer is the door speakers absolutely crank and put out surprising amounts of bass.

This is the loudest cleanest sounding car sound system i have ever heard , it goes louder than i can stand with no distortion ( in fact i have never reached max as it's too painful )

I have been into car and home hifi for as long as i can remember and am a big bass head (home subwoofer weighs 160kg) and it's the first time i have been this impressed with the sound , i highly recommend the SB acoustics drivers (home hifi drivers but work awesome in the car).

At 180000km's now and hopefully will at least double that with no major problems.

Cheers

Happy I30 owner
  • 2010 FD WAGON ,DIESEL 1.6, AUTO, SKY BLUE

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for that excellent post. Could have almost gone in the testimonial section or the Audio...  :mrgreen:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
G'Day,
Sounds like you've got yourself a well sorted package and are loving it.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal