i30 Owners Club

i30 2009 with 200000km? suggestions

ssen0001 · 44 · 15328

Offline ssen0001

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
hi guys, my name is shreyan. just a quick query as i am a bit naive about cars to be honest.
i am planning to buy a i30 2009 slx with 200000kms on the odometer.. the car as i have inspected looks fine and has got full service history , the dealer said its not much city driven. the kilometers are due to mostly country side driving. is it a good option to consider with the amount of kilometers its been driven? open to any suggestions

thanks
  • hyundai i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Welcome ssen0001

KM's aren't to bad for the age of the vehicle, is it petrol or diesel? there should be many more km's left in her yet if looked after correctly, especially with the diesel :) though I'd suggest getting an independent vehicle inspection done.

Offline ssen0001

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
its a petrol 2.0 engine. the inspection report from the dealer seems fine. like literally i had it for a test drive. seemed good. just worrying if the car is capable of bearing the kms. also some light on maintenance costs for i130 with these many kms is helpful. the dealer told me he had already put in new tyres, oil filters and a bit more and everything seems fine is what i could make out from the kinda stuff he was talking about. but its just the kms preventing me to decide
  • hyundai i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Even with the petrol the km's shouldn't be an issue if it's been respectfully driven and well maintained, does the dealers inspection mention anything about suspension - brakes? independent inspections are worthwhile imo, cant always trust a dealer :whistler:

From the service booklet you can find the stamp of whoever has serviced it to get a better history on the vehicle.

Offline ssen0001

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
thanks for the advice, much appreciated. if you'd had to quote a no of kms a decently driven i30 could do? what would be it? just curious about the life of the cars in years. like i've heard toyotas last around a 500-600k mark. something similar for comparison?
  • hyundai i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'm not sure of the amount of km's to expect overall, best to wait for some replies from members who hopefully have experienced some higher km petrol 2ltr's.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Auto or man? If it was diesel I have one manual tracking towards 400000K.

For a petrol, timing belt comes to mind. Traditionally every 5 year or 100000K but could be even at 90000k

It would want to be cheap with those Ks, there's heaps of FDs on the market, I would get an independent inspection and not rely on the selling dealers report.

Drivetrain maybe perfect but suspension components at that distance could be tired, shocks and stabiliser bushes come to mind. the front of two of mine tend to groan after a long journey on the sway bar bushes, not always evident with a quick drive, also rear shocks i've had them go off and cause tyres to be scalloped or th einner edge get squared off and become noisy, so all mine now have KYBs fitted and needed doing before 200000k.

Other weaknesses would be the inner  chrome door handles snap as the plastic fatigues, chrome peels off and can be razor sharp, Sunvisors too at the pivot points can break or crack, power window mechanisms also fail with the plastic mounts snapping, drivers would normally be first to go as most used. make sure it's operating smoothly and quietly. if it's squealing or making a lot of creaking carcking noise it could be close. You don't get much warning.

Other things at this distance potentially, alternator brushes can be getting close to worn out, not something you could check, wear and tear.

How's the coolant condition, brake fluid conditon, likewise the clutch master fluid if it's manual, if it's auto what's the fluid like in that.

If auto all gear changes smooth and normal, any delays in gear engagement when selected, these can have valve body issues.

Are the brakes feeling good, no vibration or shudders from distorted discs, how thick are the brake pads, are they nearly worn out or have heaps of material.

Knock or rattles in the steering?

apart from that can't think of much more. Good cars but like anything things will wear or break along the way.

I own 3 but all diesel, I have a hatch 222000k and no major issues, redone the suspension , new bushes, about to do ball joints and sway bar. Rides really firm with the fresh KYBs does have a bit of a steering rattle these can develop other wise it's solid, done a window mech a coupls of times, now, leather sterring wheel was worn . It was a high mileage car that had been serviced but well maintained and looke quite new.

Something driven long distances and with good history can often be better than lower k, no history stop start driving for sure.

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
What type of use will you be doing?

Long or short trips?

Town or country?

I ask as depending on use may decide whether independent inspection and or price requested by seller.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome shreyan,

As usual our brilliant members have covered most of the obvious already. Just a few further thoughts..

You seem very trusting. While there are good yards out there, many are full of $hit with regards to their inspections etc...

Check the oil. Is it nice and clean? Just because they said they did an oil change, doesn't guarantee they did...

I prefer the 5 speed manual in the 2009 FD series over the 4 speed auto. But at that mileage, if it is a manual, you'd need to check how the clutch is wearing.

When they say the put new tyre on do they look new. Hopefully they put a name brand on and not some cheap chinese brand like Diamondbacks...  :snigger:

Looking at this if all the obvious things check out ok, it might be worth the cost of an independent inspection by a trusted mechanic or the RAC if it is under $7000. (although closer to $6K would be nice)

http://www.carsales.com.au/cars/dealer/hyundai/i30/slx-badge/petrol-unleaded-ulp-fueltype/?sortby=~Price&offset=0&setype=sort&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqPz6oerT2gIVQiUrCh1ujQq2EAAYASABEgJxsPD_BwE

Take your time (if you can) and good luck...  :Good_luck:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline ssen0001

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
thank you everyone.. il be mainly doing suburban driving.. i prefer an auto over manual just for ease

the car i am talking about is here

:link: 2009 Hyundai i30 SLX Auto MY09
  • hyundai i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

thank you everyone.. il be mainly doing suburban driving.. i prefer an auto over manual just for ease

I thought that might have been it. From the pictures it does look like a well loved car. The upholstery and paintwork suggest it has been treated fairly kindly. Although obviously can't tell from a few small photos if it has had accident repairs or anything.

The Auto transmission can be an expensive fix if the valve body starts playing up, so as mentioned previously steer clear if there is any delay when you select reverse or drive.

Any aftermarket warranty that a wholesale yard will throw in isn't usually worth the paper it is written on. Usually you have to pay half of any repair and there are lots of outs. So if you can get them under 7 and everything else checks out including service books (and 2 remote keys?) I'd be tempted to pay for an independent check.  :cool:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
does look good, definitely need to find out and get evidence thetiming belt is done. I think the HYundais are interference engines and can be expensive. I'd want it sub 7 grand if it needs the belt which also should have tensioner and pulleys done at the same time.

How about a Fly drive to perth and back

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/como/cars-vans-utes/2010-hyundai-i30-auto-hatch/1181636189

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

A friend of mine bought a 2012 2ltr SX model in the same colour as that a few weeks ago, nice colour :goodjob2: she got her one for $7000 with 37000km's on it.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW

A friend of mine bought a 2012 2ltr SX model in the same colour as that a few weeks ago, nice colour :goodjob2: she got her one for $7000 with 37000km's on it.

Craig,  that's an absolute bargain.
Bought Kate's  FD 2012 Trophy 2.0 5sp with 55k km for 9750
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

I notice WA vehicles can be very cheap even Pickles fixed price if I had to pick which state was cheapest it'd be WA.

What are your thoughts?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Craig,  that's an absolute bargain.
Yeah they got a good score, private sale from one little old lady owner who only sold it because of her age,  much higher mileage one's about for around 9k

I notice WA vehicles can be very cheap even Pickles fixed price if I had to pick which state was cheapest it'd be WA.

What are your thoughts?
I don't think we're much different from other states :undecided: I don't monitor the auctions or interstate dealer prices to really compare though :neutral:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Mick, That's a low Ks car and a good price for a Trophy.  :goodjob2:
A guy we both know :whistler:     recently sold an immaculate 2011 Auto with a mere 24,500km on the clock for $8500.
But the market is dead: selling virtually a new car but, over three days he only had two phone calls. 2nd caller snapped it up.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Mick, That's a low Ks car and a good price for a Trophy.  :goodjob2:
A guy we both know :whistler:     recently sold an immaculate 2011 Auto with a mere 24,500km on the clock for $8500.
But the market is dead: selling virtually a new car but, over three days he only had two phone calls. 2nd caller snapped it up.

there was a Feb 2010 silver SR yesterday, auto, 136000k was about to link it when it sold same day on Ebay, $6500

likely 1 owner, plates would be original rego

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
That was cheap, irrespective of previous body repair (LR door) and well over the magic 100K. km
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Well off course now, but, hello dog  :D
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Well off course now, but, hello dog  :D

:cool: thought you would appreciate them , the addition is Bogart  :D

Offline yodm

• 3rd Gear

• il Israel
      Israel

• the older I get, the faster I was
mine is 2010 with 230000 km, drives smooth, auto transmission seems to work fine although a bit jumpy from time to time. only things that went wrong are 3 window switches, crankshaft position sensor and wheel alignment.
bought it with just over 200000 km ex lease and ex company car. got it very cheap.
  • I30 CW 2010 1.6 petrol auto

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
.......and well over the magic 100K. km

If you have been around these i30 s for a while you appreciate the reliable Kms they are achieving. Unfortunately, most car buyers have a 100K barrier in their minds. It used to be 100,000 miles until we went metric , almost overnight 100,000km became the criteria.  :crazy1:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
.......and well over the magic 100K. km

If you have been around these i30 s for a while you appreciate the reliable Kms they are achieving. Unfortunately, most car buyers have a 100K barrier in their minds. It used to be 100,000 miles until we went metric , almost overnight 100,000km became the criteria.  :crazy1:
100% agree, until I got hooked on diesels anything with 200000k would be out of the question. And now with my latest, well. You just need to maintain things as they wear and do all the right things and they just keep running.

Of course you can destroy a car very quickly ignoring the basics of maintenance.

Jumped into my 220000K auto hatch which WAS my car the boy has hijacked :groan: yesterdayt get new tyres on the front.

rebushed front, new ball joints and new kybs all round and out of the 3, it's the quietest, a nd  a nice sporty feel to it. the CW has the newest feel. I just need to chip away on the sway bar on the tractor with a clunk there

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Geez mate, almost finished ..... watch out, she will have you back doing housework again.  :mrgreen:

You missed your new project last week. Stolen/Recovered 2017 PD for $9000,  in perfect condition....basically. :happydance:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Geez mate, almost finished ..... watch out, she will have you back doing housework again.  :mrgreen:

You missed your new project last week. Stolen/Recovered 2017 PD for $9000,  in perfect condition....basically. :happydance:
Is said item located in a shed near you?

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
no mate too expensive  :D

Offline SPman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NE of Perth

• 2018 i30 SR Man. - Blue
Our 2012 CW diesel has just rolled over 201,000km. Only mechanical fault has been a LH front wheel bearing at 180K. Replacement coming up - will probably go with an Active diesel manual - although a manual SR isn't a lot more. If we can get more than about $3,500 for the old girl we'll be lucky.....
  • 2018 i30 SR Man.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
200000K for the diesel is peanuts. I'd want at least 5 grand and it's only 6 year old. $3500, it should walk out the door at that price unlesss the market is so depressed in WA.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

200000K for the diesel is peanuts. I'd want at least 5 grand and it's only 6 year old. $3500, it should walk out the door at that price unlesss the market is so depressed in WA.

The i30 is often the best selling car in WA because of the way the AHG has pushed them. So they are popular over there and there are plenty about. Surprisingly there was only one 2011/12 Manual Diesel CW came up (with 144K on the clock) the dealer wants $7,990. For some reason second hand and new cars tend to be a bit cheaper in WA but at that rate Gerard is probably right at 5K Minimum.

http://www.carsales.com.au/cars/results?sortby=~Price&offset=0&setype=sort&q=%28And.%28C.Make.Hyundai._.%28C.Model.i30._.%28And.Badge.SX._.Series.FD.%29%29%29_.State.Western%20Australia._.GenericGearType.Manual._.FuelType.Diesel._.BodyStyle.Wagon._.Service.Carsales._.Year.range%282011..2012%29.%29&area=Stock&vertical=car&WT.z_srchsrcx=makemodel

Manual limits the market a bit but the fact it is a wagon may help. Good luck. If you can afford the extra an Elite Diesel Manual would be nice.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal