i30 Owners Club

'New' old shape 1.4 petrol i30

Npmr · 31 · 6591

Offline Npmr

• 2nd Gear
Hi all

I am potentially buying  a 1.4 petrol SE in the UK. it's the old shape (mark 2 2012-2017) but it was not  registered until June 2018. Apparently Hyundai  UK have had a number of these cars stored and are now trying to sell them before the change in the EU emissions regulations in September.

I would appreciate your views, firstly about the reliability of this model as the only information I can find online is reference to a Driver Power survey which showed a relatively low owner satisfaction rating  and also your views about buying an unused car that has been standing probably for at least 18 months or more.

Many thanks

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
This is how I see it.

Firstly you need to drive it and decide if you find it  powerful enough and like the way it drives.

If it is a  2017 build or even wose a 2016 build you would want to be getting a super discount on the price. I know your plate syatem works differently over there but assume an earlier build date still makes a difference when you come to sell /trade?

With regards to sitting around I wouldn't be too concerned as long as you still got the full 5 year warranty. You do get 5 years unlimited kilometre warranty over there don't you?

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Npmr

• 2nd Gear
yes 5 years unlimited mileage/km warranty.  The car has been pre-registered with the dealership with a pretty good discount- probably around 25% off the original list price.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

yes 5 years unlimited mileage/km warranty.  The car has been pre-registered with the dealership with a pretty good discount- probably around 25% off the original list price.

In that case I'd say it is all about your impressions after taking a drive and comparing with other vehicles of a similar price. Pre-reg over here are classed as a demo and usually you only get the remainder of the warranty  (so I would clarify that)

So for example if the dealer registered a car in Australia as a demonstrator in December 2017 it wuld only have warranty until December 2022 instead of July 2022 for a car registered today.

Offline Npmr

• 2nd Gear
it was only registered in June this year and only 10 miles on the clock.  so pretty much all the warranty is still remaining.  Do you know if this model is fairly reliable with not too many niggles/ obvious problems? Many thanks

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

it was only registered in June this year and only 10 miles on the clock.  so pretty much all the warranty is still remaining.  Do you know if this model is fairly reliable with not too many niggles/ obvious problems? Many thanks

It was never released in Australia so I have no personal experience as such. However, feedback on here over the 10+ years the site has been running would suggest they are no fire cracker (not very zippy) but reasonable on fuel and relatively reliable.  :cool:

Can any other long term members recall any issues with this motor? The rest of the car is the same fairly rock solid design and components.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I'd want to see a 12 month service stamp before I bought it.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Re power
Check out what hp/ps is the car.

My 2012 1.4 petrol active is 100ps and i find that well enough to cruise on mway at 70 mph and still got enough should i have to go 'slightly' over the 70 limit.......

Sent from my ATU-L11 using Tapatalk

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Npmr

• 2nd Gear
As it is sold as an approved used car by a Hyundai dealer  I think they have to do a number of checks anyway. Hopefully these could be relied upon :exclaim: Thanks for the update re how it drives. I would also be interested to hear any feedback re reliability?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 15:33:56 by Npmr »

Offline Npmr

• 2nd Gear
Interestingly, I think I have found an answer to my question about reliability with information within another forum post (thanks Flower for posting this). This shows that the i30 is the UK's  3rd most reliable  compact car based on cars registered from February 2015 through February 2017, with Hyundai being the overall most reliable brand.

:link: Most reliable cars 2018 - These are the most dependable vehicles in Britain | Express.co.uk

This is reassuring.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 08:55:31 by Npmr »

Offline Npmr

• 2nd Gear
just as a follow-up to this, I would appreciate views on basic maintenance before driving a car that has been standing for a long time before it is sold.  It will have a number of checks and I have asked for an oil change;  do you think the brake fluid would need changing as well?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Oil change is a good idea, I reckon the brake fluid should be fine. I would check the tyres for any signs of perishing or flat spots (unlikely)

A good test drive should give you some opportunity to check things like battery, flat spots on tyres etc...

These are just random thoughts...

Member @The Gonz had his car in storage for 12 months, so may have some other ideas...  :cool:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Yes, 15 months, to be precise. The battery is an easy target, given a long period of inactivity, and a single drive may not give you enough of a clue. Check exhaust cleanliness for signs of trouble. Beside that, anything designed to flex such as hoses and door seals, and anything requiring lubrication such as hinges and springs. Dazz already mentioned tyres for flat spots. :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Npmr

• 2nd Gear
Thanks for the advice. Battery and tyres have been checked and all ok :goodjob2:
Oil and filter changed. So all ready for picking up this weekend. I will report back to say how it is in 'real world' driving.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Don't forget you have the warranty should you find any issues..

Here's to many miles of carefree motoring

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:iws:

..and we look forward to your ongoing feedback!  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline Npmr

• 2nd Gear
Well..I have just driven about 60 miles from the dealership. Drive very nice and apart from a piece of trim between the dash and window needing to be put in place, the car drives and looks great  :goodjob2: One issue to note so far: the speedometer is reading about 10% higher than the actual speed. Has anyone else had a similar problem and is there a 'fix'?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Well..I have just driven about 60 miles from the dealership. Drive very nice and apart from a piece of trim between the dash and window needing to be put in place, the car drives and looks great  :goodjob2: One issue to note so far: the speedometer is reading about 10% higher than the actual speed. Has anyone else had a similar problem and is there a 'fix'?

Speedos are calibrated to over-read in just about all cars (saves on fines or manufacturer getting blamed for them). Ten percent seems a bit high though! Five to six percent seems to be the norm for most of the cars I've ever owned (had over 30) including our 4 x i30's.

The only way I am aware of to change this is change the rolling diameter of the Wheels and Tyres...(an expensive exercise) :cool:

Offline Npmr

• 2nd Gear
Thanks Dazzler. That's interesting as my previous i30 was pretty much spot-on. My wife's Kia Picanto is similarly inaccurate to my new i30. 

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
My experience has been similar to Dazzler's, all my vehicles have read over what they're really doing and it's factory set that way for safety.

In my GD when it shows I'm doing 100kph I'm actually doing 95 to 96kph.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Thanks Dazzler. That's interesting as my previous i30 was pretty much spot-on. My wife's Kia Picanto is similarly inaccurate to my new i30.
My FD was spot on at 100 kph.
According to my TomTom.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Npmr

• 2nd Gear
Yes, my previous i30 was the first generation and the speedo was in line with the TomTom reading. This 2016 model is significantly under-reading.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Either spot on or showing faster than actual - no excuses is there  ?  :D  :winker:

• 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline GaKu

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
      Zealand

• 2011 1.4 petrol
My FD also showed about 8% more than GPS.
Changed to larger tyres and now its about 4%
  • 2011 i30

Offline Npmr

• 2nd Gear
An update after about 700 miles driving;

Generally it has a much smoother drive and has a more luxurious feel to the previous version of the 1.4 petrol I had. This version (2016 1.4 petrol) feels more substantial and has slightly more power albeit not feeling quite as nimble. it certainly benefits from the 6th gear (manual) and is very smooth on the motorway. I am still concerned that the speedometer is under reading around 10% although it appears there is little I can do about that; I will contact Hyundai to see if they can correct this somehow, otherwise I will just have to mentally adjust as I am driving!

I have a slight concern; only now have I seen in the manual about the  breaking- in/running in recommendations. The dealer said there was no special measures to take whilst running it in and hence I didn't initially read this section in the manual; I just got in and drove  fairly normally, mostly motorway miles although with some local hilly landscapes. On the motorway I also used the cruise control a fair bit (although not for particularly long periods of time). It appears now from looking at the manual and my research on the internet that I may not have been driving it in the optimal way to ensure the best bedding-in of the components. I would appreciate any views about the running-in processes and whether you think it would be helpful to do anything different/drive in a specific way now eg from around 700 miles onward?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:59:08 by Npmr »

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Try to keep rpms under 4000 when accelerating through gears - don't tow anything and don't sit on constant speeds for long periods for the first 1500km/930miles.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Try to keep rpms under 4000 when accelerating through gears - don't tow anything and don't sit on constant speeds for long periods for the first 1500km/930miles.

What Craig says is correct, but to be honest, normal driving where you don't gun the engine to the redline when cold or labour her in a high gear at low revs is about all that is required.  :cool: :cool:

If you have just been driving normally I'm sure it will be fine.  :cool:

Offline Npmr

• 2nd Gear
Thanks for these responses/reassurances. In terms of 'sitting' at constant speeds,  there have been a few times when I have been 'sitting'  at a constant speed on the motorway  and using cruise control, although of course being the UK, it would have been no more than 10-15 minutes  at a time max  before traffic holdups etc...presumably that should have been ok?  :undecided:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for these responses/reassurances. In terms of 'sitting' at constant speeds,  there have been a few times when I have been 'sitting'  at a constant speed on the motorway  and using cruise control, although of course being the UK, it would have been no more than 10-15 minutes  at a time max  before traffic holdups etc...presumably that should have been ok?  :undecided:

I reckon you will be fine. Might be a bit different if you had been doing some of our Aussie drives (100+ kilometres of straight road with minimal traffic)  :cool:

Offline Npmr

• 2nd Gear
Just thought I would add something positive  :clapthanks: about the car after having driven it for a few weeks and having complained about a few issues!

I really like the sound quality from the  amp/speakers. Although they are standard fit  they have a nice warm sound but still dynamically present the sound of all types of music. This is evident even when playing relatively compressed  Amazon music files streamed via Bluetooth. I wonder who the original manufacturer of the audio equipment is?

I would be interested to know what other people think if the audio quality?  I am quite fussy about HiFi sound and have been pleasantly surprised!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal