i30 Owners Club

Changing tyre size on rims

Offline Bazza2401

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Townsville Australia
Hey fellas, currently have 205/55/16 on my Hyundai i30,
Was wanting to go a more low profile.
So my idea was to go 205/40/16, would I be better to go with a 215/40/16 to balance it out or keep with the 205’s?
Thanks all help appreciated!
  • I30 se 2013 2 door

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Isn't that going to reduce the circumference to much which will affect your speedo :undecided: a 40 profile uses a  larger 18" wheel.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 10:45:10 by CraigB »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Isn't that going to reduce the circumference to much which will affect your speedo :undecided: a 40 profile uses a  larger 18" wheel.

:whsaid:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
What the others have said is correct.

You'll need to go to at least a 17" and preferably an 18" rim to maintain your rolling circumference.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Bazza2401

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Townsville Australia
Yes I get it will stuff with the Speedo, but will I still be able to use the 205/40/16? Or should I either go with a 45/50?
  • I30 se 2013 2 door

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I'm out.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yes I get it will stuff with the Speedo, but will I still be able to use the 205/40/16? Or should I either go with a 45/50?
You can put whatever you like on I guess if you can get a tyre fitter to do something he wouldn’t recommend.

It’ll look like a roller skate  :crazy1:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

What they are saying is it is not recommended. Changing your speedo readings greatly increases your risk of getting a speeding fine and it will look wrong. Like Craig says, the wheel tyre combo will make the wheels look to small for the car. But it is your car.  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Possible change in the tyre width depends also of the used rim. There are limits for tyre width vs rim width. At least In 15 inch rims the oem hyundai steel rim is really narrow. Only 5.5 wide. 195 is the widest for that rim width. And even that looks like a donut... Better check the width and some tyre calculator, if your desired tyre matches the current one in diameter (speedo error).
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Not only will it stuff with your Speedo, there's potential ABS issues (not 100% sure with Hyundai but other makes its an issue) and your economy will be absolutely snot. Not only that, you have to consider load ratings and insurance. And finally, not sure if it's been mentioned it will look like a clown car.

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Missed the edit window on this - the biggest factor I missed - neither the 205/40 or 215/40R16 will be QLD legal. Here's the rules - https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/-/media/Safety/Vehicle-standards-and-modifications/Vehicle-standards/Vehicle-standards-instructions/1018/vsi-minor-modifications-v19_11-1218.pdf?la=en - decreasing the diameter by more than 26mm is the bit you need to pay attention to (both of the size you want will fail this miserably).

Offline StokeyBry

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Stoke on Trent United kingdom
This website will compare all sizes close as possible to the original size with mostly a 1% change in circumference which is minimal

:link: Tyre Size Calculator » Tyre Size Converter » Oponeo.co.uk

« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 11:34:54 by StokeyBry »
  • I30 2013 GD 5 Door Hatchback Petrol 1.4 Manual Active

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal