i30 Owners Club

2017 i30sr starting problem

Liisa · 322 · 99474

Offline ChrisSR

• 2nd Gear

• Sydney
:rolleyes:
Pull the fuse for the camera.
So the dealer has the final word , I think not. Hyundai Australia has final say. The dealer gets paid  for fault finding regardless.
You said meeting was verbal, but you need to push to get in writing  just who is not going to rectify fault. I would bet my left one on just the dealer as if it were HA they would give you a written letter and say "sorry out of our hands ".
Again maybe some free publicity outside the dealer over the weekend,  as well as a few well timed " excuse me , but my parents bought one of these and ........."
Lost any hair yet  :winker:

A Hyundai Australia area manager was present at the meeting, his name will remain as simply "Danny" his representation was mainly the paint/body issues however he did chime in the engine stutter/hesitation as "We gave Phil Gilbert Croydon a directive based on the data that was forwarded to us, we do not look at past instances of other motor vehicles to confirm a problem as each individual customers vehicle has it's own unique concern. We don't need to look at the forums that you've mentioned as we follow best practice in finding faults and we stand by the results of the testing conducted by Phil Gilbert Hyundai"

Like I said, I took contemporaneous notes during the entire debacle. In this instance HMCA (area manager) as well as Phil Gilbert Croydon and Lidcombe both have the same excuse. When I get the chance I'll be taking my parents car to the dash camera installer where he will inspect and document everything and put it in writing so that when we disconnect the camera HMCA and another dealership can look at the "WELL KNOWN" fault once more without any way of creating a b*llsh*t excuse.
  • Mother owns i30SR (I own a different make)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
" follow best practice at finding faults"    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I hate that term.

It's a management term that limits staff to following a procedure and diverts responsibility away from those that implement the procedure.
This was how it was explained to myself when my employer started using this system and as I was in lower management,  I  needed to follow the system.
 :rolleyes:

• 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
@ChrisSR The warm start issue is well known and documented. A cold start issue not so much.

I have a knowledgeable mate who is not a member but still enjoys perusing the site. He made this comment to me via email..and I quote:

"Reading with interest the battery / camera issue post.

Over the years I have found a few instances when a supposedly young battery
can be under performing i.e. recharges fine, voltage reads ok but just
doesn't have the cranking ability for a cold engine.

My advice would be put in a new battery change the cut off for the camera
to 12.5v or disconnect it for the trial.

The stakes are high and the cost of a battery insignificant given the
circumstances."

He makes a good point.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline ChrisSR

• 2nd Gear

• Sydney
@ChrisSR The warm start issue is well known and documented. A cold start issue not so much.

I have a knowledgeable mate who is not a member but still enjoys perusing the site. He made this comment to me via email..and I quote:

circumstances."

Prevention is far better than the cure, will definitely put this across my parents as it's their vehicle. A kind thank you to you and your friend for your input :goodjob:
  • Mother owns i30SR (I own a different make)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

circumstances."

HE does  :goodjob2:

Now the rational technician would have already done this.

The rational owner would have already pulled the fuse.

However, in this non-communicative age, both sides man the barricades, rather than develop an evidence based dialog.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline harpy04

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Joondanna, WA
Not remote at all. As Dazzler mentioned it is a suburb of Perth.

Just got a call from the dealership for some feedback on the service. I mentioned that I described the issue prior to the service  but no faults or codes etc were found, so it was dismissed.

There was supposed to be an ECU update done, but no record on the job sheet.

I then mentioned this page and other examples of the same issue, along with how long this has been going on for, how long Hyundai have know about it and that that the technicians didn’t know about it

I made my feelings known how disappointed I was that it was dismissed with “ we can’t replicate it”

I am now waiting to speak with the service manager.

More updates to come.

OK, so I have an update on this issue. Sincere apologies for the long time between posts, there has been a lot going on in other areas.

So, back to the starting issue, after they told me it was fixed, the car was running well for a short period, alas the issue came back not long after and eventually the car was un-drivable, really rough idle, no power, stalling.
I called the Hyundai Roadside assistance number and RAC come out and have a look. He was really good, did a diagnostic report and said it could be the coil packs not delivering to the spark plugs etc. He tried switching them around, but still had the same issue.

Due to the low km's and "newness" of the car he was reluctant to start pulling it apart, and we sent it back to the dealer. They looked at it and determined that there was "low compression" in the cylinders and we "qualified" for a new engine, yes you read that correctly A NEW ENGINE. Happy about that as this was still WELL inside the warranty period! :goodjob2:
Ok, so a new engine was ordered and fitted and we seemed to be good, for a while.

Just last week (Friday 21st), the car died, again!! :fum: Called RAC and the road side diagnosis was "misfire on cylinders 1,2 & 4". Keeping in mind this was a new engine which is less that 1 year old I was more than a little annoyed. :faint: We managed to limp the car back to the house (luckily we were not too far away) and it has been towed back to the dealer. We called the dealership (around 1.30pm) once the roadside report had been filed and asked to speak with the DP or service manager, DP not available but spoke to the service manager.

Unfortunately as this was mid afternoon on Friday, they were not too enthusiastic about going above and beyond to help. They didnt / wouldn't give us a loan car and offered some excuse about Covid placing restrictions on the number of loan cars being reduced because disinfecting them was too much cost / effort? SM said he would search the WA user pool to see if there were any spare, still waiting for a return call. :disapp:

So we organised the tow truck and called the dealership to let them know it was coming in, the service manager was "unavailable" (about 3.30pm) so we left a message.

We called this morning, first thing to find out
1) if the car had actually got there as they didn't let us know if / when it arrived.
2) If they were working on it
3) if they could get us a loan car

It is currently 1.00pm and all I know is that the car is "in the workshop", still no attempt to find us a loner or any update on the condition.
I ma starting to question if it was actually a new engine at all.......

Stay tuned as i am sure there is more to follow.

• I30SR Premium 2017

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Excuse the language but...  "unf*cking believeaable!" that is so bad...  :crazy1:

My main issue would be the loan car. Covid or no covid that should be a given in the circumstances.

You have been amazingly tolerant.

Lucky it isn't me over there at the moment in that situation.

In our house the wife has always been the bad cop and I've been the good cop... But due to various health condition and one in particular (Parkinson's) my fuse has got a lot shorter and I seem to have very little in the way of filters in what I say and do!

I'd have Hyundai Australia on speed dial and speaker phone until something was done about a loan car for starters. (excuse the pun) :disapp:

Offline harpy04

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Joondanna, WA
Excuse the language but...  "unf*cking believeaable!" that is so bad...  :crazy1:

My main issue would be the loan car. Covid or no covid that should be a given in the circumstances.

You have been amazingly tolerant.

Lucky it isn't me over there at the moment in that situation.

In our house the wife has always been the bad cop and I've been the good cop... But due to various health condition and one in particular (Parkinson's) my fuse has got a lot shorter and I seem to have very little in the way of filters in what I say and do!

I'd have Hyundai Australia on speed dial and speaker phone until something was done about a loan car for starters. (excuse the pun) :disapp:

Yeah, I typically get a little direct with things like this. My wife was looking after it on Friday as I was working and she is a lot more patient than I am.  If it had of been me, I would have asked to take the DP's car for the weekend, Im sure he would be driving something nice  :rofl:

I guess what makes it worse is that it was the wife's birthday on Friday and she had a heap of stuff to get organised for a party on Saturday, so stress levels rose significantly.
Lets see what happens today.
  • I30SR Premium 2017

Offline harpy04

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Joondanna, WA
Not remote at all. As Dazzler mentioned it is a suburb of Perth.

Just got a call from the dealership for some feedback on the service. I mentioned that I described the issue prior to the service  but no faults or codes etc were found, so it was dismissed.

There was supposed to be an ECU update done, but no record on the job sheet.

I then mentioned this page and other examples of the same issue, along with how long this has been going on for, how long Hyundai have know about it and that that the technicians didn’t know about it

I made my feelings known how disappointed I was that it was dismissed with “ we can’t replicate it”

I am now waiting to speak with the service manager.

More updates to come.

OK, so I have an update on this issue. Sincere apologies for the long time between posts, there has been a lot going on in other areas.

So, back to the starting issue, after they told me it was fixed, the car was running well for a short period, alas the issue came back not long after and eventually the car was un-drivable, really rough idle, no power, stalling.
I called the Hyundai Roadside assistance number and RAC come out and have a look. He was really good, did a diagnostic report and said it could be the coil packs not delivering to the spark plugs etc. He tried switching them around, but still had the same issue.

Due to the low km's and "newness" of the car he was reluctant to start pulling it apart, and we sent it back to the dealer. They looked at it and determined that there was "low compression" in the cylinders and we "qualified" for a new engine, yes you read that correctly A NEW ENGINE. Happy about that as this was still WELL inside the warranty period! :goodjob2:
Ok, so a new engine was ordered and fitted and we seemed to be good, for a while.

Just last week (Friday 21st), the car died, again!! :fum: Called RAC and the road side diagnosis was "misfire on cylinders 1,2 & 4". Keeping in mind this was a new engine which is less that 1 year old I was more than a little annoyed. :faint: We managed to limp the car back to the house (luckily we were not too far away) and it has been towed back to the dealer. We called the dealership (around 1.30pm) once the roadside report had been filed and asked to speak with the DP or service manager, DP not available but spoke to the service manager.

Unfortunately as this was mid afternoon on Friday, they were not too enthusiastic about going above and beyond to help. They didnt / wouldn't give us a loan car and offered some excuse about Covid placing restrictions on the number of loan cars being reduced because disinfecting them was too much cost / effort? SM said he would search the WA user pool to see if there were any spare, still waiting for a return call. :disapp:

So we organised the tow truck and called the dealership to let them know it was coming in, the service manager was "unavailable" (about 3.30pm) so we left a message.

We called this morning, first thing to find out
1) if the car had actually got there as they didn't let us know if / when it arrived.
2) If they were working on it
3) if they could get us a loan car

It is currently 1.00pm and all I know is that the car is "in the workshop", still no attempt to find us a loner or any update on the condition.
I ma starting to question if it was actually a new engine at all.......

Stay tuned as i am sure there is more to follow.

OK, so a favourable update (I Hope)

Had a call from the service manager. Credit to them, they gave a time and it was very close to that (+10mins  :goodjob2:). The car will be ready for us to pick up today! :happydance:

It seems that there were some faulty fuel injectors (sounds familiar). With the history they asked if they could replace all 4 of them, which was agreed to by HO, so fingers crossed this will be the fix.

I would be curious to see if they replaced them when the "new" engine went in (i doubt it).

Anyway, they are fitting new injectors, doing some testing and hopefully all is good from here.
  • I30SR Premium 2017

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Sounds promising, but how long and if too long where's that loan car...  :whistler:

Offline harpy04

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Joondanna, WA
Sounds promising, but how long and if too long where's that loan car...  :whistler:

So we did get the car back yesterday, as promised, which is great. Luckily. no need for a load car, thankfully.

Credit to the service team, they did turn the car around pretty quickly, so not all bad. The service in relation to the loan car was pretty bad though. I would like to think it was a result of this happening on a Friday afternoon.

Now we wait, to see if the problem re-appears or if they contact us to see if everything is OK, considering the history of the car / engine.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 06:54:53 by harpy04 »
  • I30SR Premium 2017

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Have everything crossed for you mate. You deserve a good run now. I loved my SR. They are a great car if they perform up to spec.  :D

Offline AndyT1405

• 1st Gear

• Australia, Melbourne
Hi guys,

just picked up one of these cars and didn't do my research  :'( just wondering if the start up issue has been fixed or linked to injectors or anything else?
  • Hyundai i30 SR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi guys,

just picked up one of these cars and didn't do my research  :'( just wondering if the start up issue has been fixed or linked to injectors or anything else?

Welcome Andy,

Have you had the issue at all? The most common situation I believe where this happened was say doing a reasonably good drive until the car is well and truly warm. Then leave it for as while, maybe half and hour and then try and start it.

I never had this issue with my 2017 SR which I had for 28 months and did 66,000 + kilometres.

We suspect a faulty batch of injectors although, not aware of anything official ever being published.

Basically, initially they suspected software but that was never going to explain how only some cars were effected. A software patch was developed and applied to some cars with mixed results. However, the best results seem to be reported by those that got their injectors replaced.

It is well enough documented on here that most dealers should come to the party under warranty if you are unlucky enough to have scored an affected car. Even if yours was originally affected hopefully it has already been rectified. If so there may be some notification in the service manual.

Good luck!

P.S. They are a fantastic car. I've had 34 cars and consider my SR possibly my best car overall.

Offline Liisa

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Hello everyone,
Sorry I hadn’t been on for a while to update. My car still has the same issues 3 years of owning it.

So last year, the car started to cut power while I was driving it and the engine light would flash and the car would drop power, not exceeding more than 30kph. After almost Been rear ended several times and having taken the car to the dealership and them saying they could not find anything, I drove it from my place to lidcombe with the car rattling, cylinders dropped and completely un-drivable, having my dad behind me in his car so I don’t get hit. Only way they realised I wasn’t full of shit about this issue with it.

They changed a couple of spark plugs for me as they said they found them faulty.

Between then and now, I’ve had the engine and Emobilizer light come on a few times but I just thought I can live with it and I’d turn off and back on my car and it was fine.

The past week, I’ve notice that once again, when stationary I felt the car begin to feel like it’s cutting out. Last week it dropped the cylinders driving to work and I had to stop at the lights and turn off then back on my car. Tonight almost had a accident as again the issue of dropping cylinders has started again and the car losing power. When this happens, the engine light starts flashing and the car starts chocking and won’t exceeding 40kph.

So I will be spending my Saturday back at Hyundai for the same issue I’ve had since day one pretty much.

Not sure if everyone else has noticed this issue but my car lets off a strange spell like a burning plastic/fuel smell.

I’m going to bring up the injectors tomorrow.
  • Hyundai I30sr premium auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Liisa,

Thanks for the latest update. I feel so bad for you. I wish there was more I could do. I would be contacting the ACCC. I honestly believe you deserve compensation. You have put up with way more inconvenience and personal risk than you should have. Hopefully you have most of the issues and events documented. I guess if you got to your profile and click on your posts tab (I assume that brings up the same info for members as it does for admin?) you could trawl through and write down all the dates and times you reported on here.

I would be contacting Hyundai Australia and let them know you are fed up and considering taking legal or other action if this matter isn't sorted properly as a matter of urgency. should it be finally sorted properly I reckon you deserve at least 3 complimentary services if not more. You can quote me.

I love the i30 and most other current Hyundai models like the Kona which my Wife drives, but the service from some dealers is disgusting!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@AndyT1405

Did you keep it, how is it going?

Offline Liisa

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Hey,

Just got off the phone with Hyundai. Due to Covid they do not work on Saturday. On Tuesday the 6th someone will call me to book my car in. I have to drive it and if anything happens before then, I have to call roadside assistance. I did inform the lady that my car loses power when I’m doing speeds of 90kmph and I have almost had several accidents when this happens and she said call roadside assistance and there’s not much she can do until Tuesday when they call me and book it in for a service. I also mentioned I have work at 3am tomorrow and was told they should be a 24hr service.

So I have to wait until Tuesday. I think the ACCC is my next step.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Definitely.  Good luck.  :crazy1:

Offline NotaN

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Lisa, the problems you have been experiencing should and could have been fixed long ago. My wife's i30SR finally had the injectors replaced a few months ago after completely failing but it took 4 dealer visits and a few emails to have it done. Some dealers are not great and it sounds as though the one you use are no good as is my local. I am an ex mechanic and was a Hyundai Master Tech but was happy to have my local dealer service my wife's i30 as I didn't have the time or interest in doing it myself. They did the first 1000k check over and then the 10k service but it hasn't been back to them for servicing and won't  as I don't trust their ability or quality of work. I have done the last 5 services at home and have only taken it to them for warranty repairs. Perhaps you should try another dealer and explain to them all the issues you have had and the fact your previous dealer has been of little help.
My wife will be due for a new car mid next year but it won't be another Hyundai as this i30 has had more than it's fair share of issues and poor service.
  • I30 SR Premium PD

Offline Liisa

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
I did raise that issue with them today about the injectors and was told it can’t be them. It’s booked in again for Monday. Since last week it hasn’t lost power again. It’s just not driving smoothly and thumps/cuts out when stationary.

It’s the second service centre I take it too.
I have lodged in a report with the ACCC so I can get the ball rolling. Three years and 2 service centres and multiple visits regarding issues to my car is beyond enough.

I will again mention the injectors and see what they say next week. I’m not hoping for nothing more than “we could not reproduce the problem and found no fault” As what I’ve been receiving most of the time.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I did raise that issue with them today about the injectors and was told it can’t be them. It’s booked in again for Monday. Since last week it hasn’t lost power again. It’s just not driving smoothly and thumps/cuts out when stationary.

It’s the second service centre I take it too.
I have lodged in a report with the ACCC so I can get the ball rolling. Three years and 2 service centres and multiple visits regarding issues to my car is beyond enough.

I will again mention the injectors and see what they say next week. I’m not hoping for nothing more than “we could not reproduce the problem and found no fault” As what I’ve been receiving most of the time.

So disappointing and frustrating for me and a 1000 times worse for you as an owner...

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal