i30 Owners Club

Installing a LED bar

Axu · 6 · 1586

Offline Axu

• 1st Gear
Hello! Im new to the forum and doing the best I can with my bad english. I own an i30 T-GDI 1.4 ym. 2020. It has LED driving lights (high beam too).

I've bought an Optibeam LED bar with relay and wires. I also bought a CAN relay, but the guy in the shop told me I dont need the CAN relay and the remote current
to the LED bar can be taken straight from the high beam lights. Is this true and has anyone done it like this? Since the current in LED lights is quite small Im afraid its not enough to activate LED bars relay (even though its 12V). Im also interested in knowing which wire goes for the cars own high beams. I have a pic of the connector which I believe serves the whole light unit(?).

There are two grey wires and I believe it is one of those two.

Thanks for help in advance :)!

-Aleksi
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 19:50:32 by Axu »
  • 1.4 T-GDI 7-s auto 2020

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Hi, Aleksi. Welcome. Your English is fine. I do not believe you need to worry. The activation of a relay works on voltage, not current. The switching will not care how little current will be used. Even with the LED bar disconnected, the relay will still try to switch it.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Axu

• 1st Gear
Thanks Gonz! Im new to the electronics of the car so I've got a long way to go. Thanks for the info. As I studied this subject I understood that the problem on new cars is the continuity of the current. So basicly if I find a wire that has continuous 12V current when the high beams are activated, I can use it as a remote current? Correct me if/when Im wrong :). There is very little info about this whole subject on the internet.
  • 1.4 T-GDI 7-s auto 2020

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Which model Optibeam did you get? It should say how many Amperes it will draw.
If the current is not excessive and total high beam current remains well below the fuse rating, you can connect it directly to the line that powers the high beams without using the relay.
If using the relay, connect the SOURCE contact on your relay to a BATTERY feed and the COIL contact on your relay to the high beam feed. The point of using a relay is to not stress your high beam current.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline galixia

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
I put a lightbar in my PD i30 the information for what i did is below in the post. I installed a relay straight off the battery with a wire that tapped into the loom just behind the headlights to get the high beam trigger wire. This was to comply with the law in Australia so it can only turn on when the high beam is on.

The light bar itself is powered off the battery.

:link: Lightbar / spot lights behind front grill
  • 2018 I30 Active

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for sharing. Excellent! :hatoff:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal