Ordered Polyurethane Rear Swaybar Bushings

Offline Michael T

• 2nd Gear
  • Save The Manuals

• us United States
      SouthEast

• Fixing Jets...
Good evening everyone,

I am sure all of you know that the I30 loves to understeers terribly. I know a huge factor in that are the stock tires that come on the car. However, the tires have less than 10,000 miles so I am not ready to drop big money on tires. Really the only way to counter-act this understeer at the moment is to add some negative camber in the front and do something about the rear-sway bar. I already have a 21 mm bar in the rear which is a nice size, so I am going to try polyurethane bushings to see if it firms it up a little more to counter-act the understeer.

I will let everyone know how the install goes and how the car feels after. I know it won't be huge, but hopefully it will help enough until I can fit some real tires under this baby.

:happydance:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
lowered springs are another great way to get around corners at speed,but then you'll do it with over steer.  :cool:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Michael T

• 2nd Gear
  • Save The Manuals

• us United States
      SouthEast

• Fixing Jets...
lowered springs are another great way to get around corners at speed,but then you'll do it with over steer.  :cool:

Yes, lowering springs can help but if was going to do that then dampeners would be getting replaced as well to compliment the new springs rate. I didn't mention springs because springs/dampeners is a large money budget again. Then I would be stuck again with the same tires and fancy suspension that still understeered just as before and I would be way more frustrated because all the money I just spent for nothing.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
fair point.  :razz: i changed my rims,tyres and springs only for the look of the mods,then discovered the car would go through corners like its on rails.  :goodjob2: :goodjob: :mrgreen:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I am sure all of you know that the I30 loves to understeers terribly.

I didn't know that......  :eek:

I punt my i30 around corners fairly hard at times and I would never have said it understeers terribly..... :undecided:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

I punt my i30 around corners fairly hard at times and I would never have said it understeers terribly..... :undecided:
the cw/estate/elantra touring sits higher than the hatch Russ,by around 40mm. it doesn't sound much,but its enough to throw the car out of wack going into a corner.  :sweating: I've nearly come a cropper in sues cw going round a bend,it just wouldn't turn.  :Drive: :faint:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I never would've picked the difference in height.... :eek:

You learn something every day.... :undecided:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

I thought the same thing then realised as he's in the USA he's probably talking about the CW (Elantra Touring).
Glad I chose the Hatch. I find it pretty much as neutral as my Impreza was (and the Liberty before it).
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Sounds like a great plan with the bushes MT :goodjob:

here's my hatch ,look at this link mate.  :mrgreen: ...

So why aren't those pics in the gallery :P
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Sounds like a great plan with the bushes MT :goodjob:

here's my hatch ,look at this link mate.  :mrgreen: ...

So why aren't those pics in the gallery :P
  :idea::goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline Michael T

• 2nd Gear
  • Save The Manuals

• us United States
      SouthEast

• Fixing Jets...
here's my hatch ,look at this link mate.  :mrgreen:
https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=3716.msg36600#msg36600

Car looks great!

What springs did you end up going with?

We don't get the hatch option in Uhmerica. :( I bought the bushings for 10 dollars shipped, so if there is ANY little improvement I will be pleased.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
here's my hatch ,look at this link mate.  :mrgreen:
https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=3716.msg36600#msg36600

Car looks great!

What springs did you end up going with?

We don't get the hatch option in Uhmerica. :( I bought the bushings for 10 dollars shipped, so if there is ANY little improvement I will be pleased.
springs are from a company called Pedders,I'm fairly sure they aren't available outside of Australia.

Pip
Sorry to jump in on this thread but does anyone know if the dimensions of the rear bar (apart from diameter) are the same for the hatch and CW/touring?

I tried to find this out before but gave up. I want to import the 21mm bar if it will fit because I agree that the understeer (on the diesel at least) is more than I like. Our Getz steers better in his regard.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Sorry to jump in on this thread but does anyone know if the dimensions of the rear bar (apart from diameter) are the same for the hatch and CW/touring?

I tried to find this out before but gave up. I want to import the 21mm bar if it will fit because I agree that the understeer (on the diesel at least) is more than I like. Our Getz steers better in his regard.
i have one of each pip,I'll have a look during the week and let you know.  :razz:

Pip

i have one of each pip,I'll have a look during the week and let you know.  :razz:

That would be great!
There was some previous discussion here https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=7078.msg83699#msg83699

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
very interesting thread,thanks for the link pip.  :cool:  I'll suss out the two rear bars during the week and see what diameter they are and if they interchange.  :idea:  weather permitting.  :disapp:

Pip
From memory you should find the hatch is 14mm and the CW ?? The UK hatch is 17mm I believe and US CW/touring 21mm.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
From memory you should find the hatch is 14mm and the CW ?? The UK hatch is 17mm I believe and US CW/touring 21mm.
i had a look under my hatch and the wife's cw at the rear sway bars tonight. i found the two swaybars are only 14mm and look as though they will interchange with each other.  :idea: :razz:   14mm!  :faint: :disapp:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Good work Steve (thanks)  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Good work Steve (thanks)  :goodjob:
thanks dazz.  :razz:  i was amazed to see the rear swaybar on the cw was only the same as my hatch,i thought it would be bigger because of the extra load a cw can carry compared to the hatch.  :Shocked:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Size is not important, Steve... :p
your starting to sound like Dave Russ.  :rofl: :rofl: it matters sometimes.  :winker:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Size is not important, Steve... :p
your starting to sound like Dave Russ.  :rofl: :rofl: it matters sometimes.  :winker:

Like when, pray tell?  :lol:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
When it comes to sway bars I'm assuming.....  :undecided:

Or is it that people only assume a larger bar is better?   :p

Pip
i had a look under my hatch and the wife's cw at the rear sway bars tonight. i found the two swaybars are only 14mm and look as though they will interchange with each other.  :idea: :razz:   14mm!  :faint: :disapp:
Great work, thank you. :goodjob2: I had a showroom look some time back but wasn't able to do better than eyeball them. Very pleased to have confirmation that they are hopefully interchangeable. Now to find that US seller for the 21mm they use over there. I'm sure the info is in here somewhere from when this was discussed before. :)

Pip
To end my interjection, I ordered a sway bar from the US. Thanks.

To return to the topic, how do the poly bushes make an improvement?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
To end my interjection, I ordered a sway bar from the US. Thanks.

To return to the topic, how do the poly bushes make an improvement?
There's less give in them. Something similar to having lower profile tyres. The reaction time for what you want to do is quicker. But they can create a certain amount of extra background noise. Not normally noticeable but the rubber bushes absorb vibration and noise slightly better.

Check here for the Aussie version. http://www.nolathane.com.au/about.php

Fulcrum Suspension does them too. http://www.superpro.com.au/
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal