i30 Owners Club

rear tyre wear

benny · 12 · 7451

Offline benny

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
does anyone have rear tyre issues? my mechanic said the rear tyres are 'scalloping' along the edges, generally caused by faulty shock absorbers.
Hyundai dealer said dodgy tyres!

I didn't know Pirellis were dodgy tyres!!!
60000km, no dirt roads
Any clues anybody?

Cheers
Benny

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
What sort of tyre pressures do you run, Benny?

Under inflated tyres will cause the shoulders of the tyre to wear more quickly......  :undecided:

Oh, and welcome to our little forum...... :goodjob:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 03:58:55 by rustynutz »

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
60,000k seems fairly reasonable to me. I'll get that from my first set of 5 rotated around the car.

Faulty shocks should be fairly easy to spot one would have thought, having said that 60k on this set of tyres, plus assuming another set on top of that in my mind puts you close to 100k, when the suspension as a whole will be more loose that it was on day one. This could cause some minor wear issues.

Have you had a wheel alignment (4 wheel) done at all?

Is it the hatch or wagon, either way what kind of loads do you carry, any towing?

Other than that, I'll leave it to the Tyre Guru.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
does anyone have rear tyre issues? my mechanic said the rear tyres are 'scalloping' along the edges, generally caused by faulty shock absorbers.
Hyundai dealer said dodgy tyres!

I didn't know Pirellis were dodgy tyres!!!
60000km, no dirt roads
Any clues anybody?

Cheers
Benny
60,000 klms is good life out of any tyre.
Is the scalloping on both shoulders or only the inside or the outside?

If it's on both shoulders. as rustynutz says it is most likely pressure (too low for what you do - REGARDLESS of what you have been running them at). This would also result in excessive tread wear on the shoulders.

If it's only one shoulder it will be wheel alignment (rear) -either now or at some stage in the life of the tyres. Although, thinking about that a bit, if the alignment had been out and corrected, the scalloping would have worn smooyh but the excessive shoulder wear would still be there and only obvious as you get toward the end of the tread life.

Unfortunately too many mechanics last learnt about tyres when they were doing their apprenticeship and unless they are involved in the suspension industry they tend to still judge on those standards. Not saying this is the case with your mechanic but it's an issue we all need to be aware of.

Pirellis are unlikely to be "dodgy" in the sense he's referring to.

I've generalised I know. Any chance of you posting some pics? Also, what are the fronts like - much tread left? And how often were the tyres rotated?

Another question. How much did you get out of your original tyres? In other words, what klms on your car now? Unless it's well over 100,000 klms there's unlikely to be a problem with your shockabsorbers.
Edit. Just realised it was the Hyundai people who blamed the tyres. But its a good case study anyway and the sort of situation we see almost every day.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :whsaid: :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi Benny

My i30 have too much negative camber on the rear wheels, that might be the issue on your car also. You can find out by having the 4 wheel alignment done like Beerman suggested.

Unfortunately the rear camber is not adjustable on the i30.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Pip
Can buy some eccentric bolts to allow adjustment.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
dead right pip.  :mrgreen:   toe is adjustable also.  :razz:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
dead right pip.  :mrgreen:   toe is adjustable also.  :razz:

I know, but have you seen what they charge you for those bolts.. :question:  :Shocked: 130 EUR  :exclaim:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline bobbyd

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Ay ideas where to get rear camber adjustment bolts ?  Can only find front ones from whiteline, cant find rears ???   My rear tyres are badly worn on inside- even rotating them every 5k I've only got 26k out of set of tyres

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
Guy's, when I was doing my fronts with the Whiteline camber kit, I also asked about the rears and it was a "no go".... :'(

You can get adjustable "tie-rods " for the rear from places like Shark Racing, but they are illegal to use on the road (in Australia at least) in case the locking nut gets loose and the adjustments change. :faint: They would however do the job and allow that additional adjustment......maybe it is a matter of "mum's the word"  :whistler:.....but, " what if !!!!"  :Shocked:   So much for your insurance. :blubber:

If its only for the track, then it is ok.

I didnt find any other options, but if there is something available in Europe, even at 130 euro, then it would be interesting to see what they are offering, just out of interest.... :idea:

So lets have some feed back from our European members... :goodjob2:

Elle B
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi

In this thread I posted about tyre wear, and there's a pic of an adjustable rod for the i30. See post 61.

The pic is not from my car, I haven't fitted anything to adjust, as my summertyres are ok.

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=9916.60
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal