i30 Owners Club

Strut bar

Guest · 41 · 12899

alinsslx
Strut bars....there's been some talk about strut bars being fitted to an I30 mainly not very positive.
I found as a general experience that the majority of australians kind of either hate asian cars or are just narrow minded when it comes to imports.

I've been told that fitting a strut bar will not improve anything to an I30, I30s are to be best untouched.
Well, after much reading and google searching and Ebay hunting I purchased this strut bar at a very cheap price.
it arrived very fast trhu EMS.

First impressions:
-well wrapped and packed
-very light but strong
-a bit dissapointed with a few rather large holes where the bolts connect the bar with the "c" clamps.

Installation:
-took less than 5 minutes, that's how excited I was
-fitted perfectly inspite of the diagnostics plug being in the way, they provided for that.

Performance:
-WOOOOOOOWWWWW
-I loved this thing from the first few meters while reversing out of my driveway
-Amazing performance through dips, arond roundabouts, bends, corners, potholes and steering.
-NO MORE TWISTING, FLEXING AND SHAKING, NO MORE EXCESIVE VIBRATIONS.
-I took a couple of turns quicker ( my front tyres are cheap ant they squeal if a bit too fast), AMAZINGLY the car felt firm, no tilting and also very responsive.

I am very much considering in getting a sway bar as wel for the rear, once I swap my petrol for a CRDI.
If that next little beast gets my K&N filter, the strut and sway bar, get it chipped to 120HP then I'll have a little performer, not a WRX but still ok till I build my Supra.

Pictures below, feel free to ask questions.

http://s1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa413/alinsslx/I30%20Strut%20bar/

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
have you got a link to where you bought the strut bar alin?  it looks like a tight fit.
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I see what you mean by the holes...they are so big, I could almost put my old fella through them!   :P :scared:

alinsslx
A bit dodgy if you ask me, but I managed to tighten them pretty well without damaging the empty core bar and it still works great.
However there's another on Ebay that sells this strut bar that has no adjustable anything so i believe that will be the IT, no millimeter to move.
I'll see if this gets loose within a week from the many potholes and dips we have in Adelaide.
I use this car 10hrs per day 6 days a week for business.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Perhaps you can find a washer to fit inside the hole..... :-\

alinsslx
I reckon this strut bar is the best I ever came across:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HYUNDAI-30-ULTRA-RACING-2-POINTS-FRONT-STRUT-BAR-/180631481948?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a0e79ae5c

No chance of slipping or doubting with this one mate.
However the one that I got is ok for now :)

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Does anyone know if these type of after market fitting will effect warranty?
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I'm not 100% sure um.  :neutral:  but I'm sure that your mechanic at your dealership may think your using your car as a racecar. IMO.  :scared: id remove it  prior to a service,just to be on the safe side.  :mrgreen:

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
I'm not 100% sure um.  :neutral:  but I'm sure that your mechanic at your dealership may think your using your car as a racecar. IMO.  :scared: id remove it  prior to a service,just to be on the safe side.  :mrgreen:

Thanks 2eyes. I don't think I'll go to the trouble of fitting one. I don't drive that fast :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

Thanks 2eyes. I don't think I'll go to the trouble of fitting one. I don't drive that fast :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:goodjob:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

alinsslx
I don't service my I30 at the dealer as they charge an arm and a leg and also don't know their job as well as the K-mart mob. For my 45 000ks service they weren't gonna replace my coolant as prescribed in the book?!?!
K-mart don't care what you're under the hood as it is not them covering your warranty. K-mart is authorized to service your car under warranty.
Strut bars often come as a standard equipment and they can help prolong the life of your tires.
However if you're planning your car in for a service  at Hyundai's better take that thing off to avoid any raised eyebrows.
They never mentioned anything about my K&N air filter (got a sticker on it too).

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I'm sure a strut brace would be looked at a little differently to an air filter. IMO.  :winker:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Personally I can't see why Hyundai would have an issue with a strut brace.  Unless of course they've designed flex into the strut towers for a reason...lol.

Then again I could be wrong.... :P

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
bah...

strut brace is no different to bigger wheels and tyres IMHO...

its a look thing unless you actually race the car!!!

alinsslx
In my own experience the 2007 Astra I used to own was handling a lot better around bends than the I30, and i mean at a bit faster than regular speed but not racing.
However I found that once that strut bar has gone under my hood, things have smoothed out a bit, no more shaking and twisting as much as before, Adelaide is full of dips to evacuate the water that we never seam to get.
As for the looks, I don't think I'd ever worry about that as nobody would even get a chance to have a look at it really with my regular job.
However, I'm saving at the moment for my twin turbo 6 speed Supra......that will need a strut bar :)

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
that will need coil overs strut bars at both ends, and sway bars minimum!!!!

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Personally I can't see why Hyundai would have an issue with a strut brace.  Unless of course they've designed flex into the strut towers for a reason...lol.

Then again I could be wrong.... :P

I got around to emailing Hyundai re fitting a strut brace, and this is their reply.....

Good morning Mr xxxxxx,

Any non genuine accessory or part that is installed into a Hyundai vehicle can be deemed, if proven that part causes collateral damage for the warranty to be void, either entirely or partially.

A strut brace will give the vehicle more stiffness and better cornering stabilising by the strut.

The choice will be with you, whether you choose to install the part or not.

If in doubt please read your service passport booklet where it states the scope of the new car warranty

Kind regards,

Marcin Kresan 
Customer Care Officer-Senior 
Hyundai Motor Company Australia
Phone : 1800 186 306
mailto : customercare@hyundai.com.au
Web : www.hyundai.com.au

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That's a nice fence he is sitting on.. hope it hasn't got spikey tops... :rolleyes:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

alinsslx
Then again, ANY petrol station in Australia carries one of those stickers that tell you to turn off your mobile phone off otherwise you could blow up the petrol station, which is the greatest bunch of crap that has ever been said.
When they replaced my gearbox at 30 000km, I had my K&N filter installed with a big sticker on top of it. NO COMMENTS were made.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
That's a nice fence he is sitting on.. hope it hasn't got spikey tops... :rolleyes:
:rofl:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i think that our dealer service departments are fairly lenient on mods on your car [to an extent] as my car is lowered with a big exhaust and i have never been hassled by my dealer for the mods.  :winker: but a cold air intake and a strutbrace MAY get there attention. :idea:  just remember its a road car,not a race car. if you make a claim under warranty you may get knocked back because they look at the race car mods and assume that you've abused the vehicle. IMO.  :idea:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I suspect it's more a case of do whatever you like to your car but don't expect Hyundai to fix whatever stuffs up if it's caused by your mods...... :winker:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I suspect it's more a case of do whatever you like to your car but don't expect Hyundai to fix whatever stuffs up if it's caused by your mods...... :winker:
i think you just hit the nail on the head russ. 

alinsslx
Best thing is to leave the car alone while under warranty. Mine expires at 130 000ks for business purposes, after that I can do whatever . I can't wait to do my own services, they charge an arm and a leg but deliver very little.
however that's for another topic.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
sif use hyundai for a service...

they are bloody donkeys...

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
sif use hyundai for a service...

they are bloody donkeys...
my donkeys do alright.  :winker:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal