i30 Owners Club

Time to ditch the steel wheels

Offline Steve101

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Macedon Ranges, Victoria, Australia
This week I am looking at some new alloys and getting rid of the steelies....

1: genuine or after market?

Any recommendations from owners who have purchased after market alloys and have been happy with the appearance?
Can you pop in a genuine centre cap and "pretend" they are genuine?

2. 16" or 17"

Do I stick with the 16" or be daring (in my world lol) and go for 17"

Currently my i30 has 255/55 R16 and I think they are 6.5 wide

If I go with second hand, I don't want to take the advice from a wreckers who will say "sure mate, these will fit", then find out I've wasted my money.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
My 2c.

Genuine are easily replaced - cheaper aftermarket ones if sold for only a short period are not.

If you go aftermarket, go something reputable like ROH or Speedy - they are worth the extra coin.

Centre caps are touch and go, depends on the wheel and unless someone has done the specific wheel you go with unlikely to get an accurate answer.

I've just went from 16" alloys on my GD to 17" from a Tucson - got the rims for $445 freighted with 25kms on them - ebay, wreckers want drug money for these wheels as they're approx $470 each replacement value from hyundai.

I went the 17" specifically for the increase in footprint and visuals but the 205/55r16 is one of, if not the most common size on smaller vehicles atm and great range of tyres available depending on what you wanna pay.

Offline Steve101

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
My 2c.

Genuine are easily replaced - cheaper aftermarket ones if sold for only a short period are not.

If you go aftermarket, go something reputable like ROH or Speedy - they are worth the extra coin.

Centre caps are touch and go, depends on the wheel and unless someone has done the specific wheel you go with unlikely to get an accurate answer.

I've just went from 16" alloys on my GD to 17" from a Tuscon - got the rims for $445 freighted with 25kms on them - ebay, wreckers want drug money for these wheels as they're approx $470 each replacement value from hyundai.

I went the 17" specifically for the increase in footprint and visuals but the 205/55r16 is one of, if not the most common size on smaller vehicles atm and great range of tyres available depending on what you wanna pay.

Thanks for the quick reply and your 2c is much appreciated.

Is there any chance you could send or post a pic of your 17" Tuscons? I'd love to see what they look like. Are they 7"?

I'm about 10k away from replacing all 4 tyres so I'll need to make a decision soon.

Cheers
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 00:03:40 by Steve101 »

Offline Steve101

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Just a side note, as my i30 is still under factory warranty, do you think changing to 17" will affect the warranty? Do you need to inform your insurance company?

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
:link: Bertie's new shoes - Tucson 17's on GD Tourer + fresh brakes

Yet to get a full shot of the car, will grab this week

You should inform insurance of any change always.

17's are a factory option and shouldn't effect warranty in any way, and they'd have to prove that the wheels were the issue - this isn't legal advice.

They are 17 x 7 +51 or 53, fit perfectly with 225/45r17 - they are same/indistinguishable specs as the i30 17" wheel

Offline Steve101

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
e

:link: Bertie's new shoes - Tucson 17's on GD Tourer + fresh brakes

Yet to get a full shot of the car, will grab this week

You should inform insurance of any change always.

17's are a factory option and shouldn't effect warranty in any way, and they'd have to prove that the wheels were the issue - this isn't legal advice.

They are 17 x 7 +51 or 53, fit perfectly with 225/45r17 - they are same/indistinguishable specs as the i30 17" wheel

Thanks Josh, I'm going to broaden my searching now to any 17x7 wheels.

Offline Steve101

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
225/45r17 - they are sa

Thanks for the link mate.

I've worked out a shortlist and I'm  and after checking with several tyre outlets and Hyundai (although as expected, Hyundai were very non-committal about the information they offered) I've been assured there will be no clearance issues with 17 x 7.5. I am yet to get advice on 18" but like many have said in past posts, the road noise might be more evident as well as comfort?

Sorry if this is old news to anyone, I'm still on a big learning curve with all this information.

I've spent all day Photoshopping a variety of rims onto a pic of my i30 and finally got it down to a shortlist:

1. Speedy Carbine Satin Gunmetal 17 x 7.5

2. Speedy Deceit Piano Black | Black Shadow 17 x 7.5

3. Speedy Podium Piano Black | Machined 17 x 7.5

4. CSA Vorst Gunmetal Black Mach-Face 17 x 7

5. CSA Vorst Gunmetal Black Mach-Face 18 x 7.5

I like the piano black finish inside the Poduims but I like thew angular appearance of the Vorst (The vorst doesn't have the gloss piano black finish  :(

1. Speedy Carbine Satin Gunmetal 17 x 7.5

2. Speedy Deceit Piano Black | Black Shadow 17 x 7.5

3. Speedy Podium Piano Black | Machined 17 x 7.5

4. CSA Vorst Gunmetal Black Mach-Face 17 x 7 or 18 x 7.5

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
The UK climate doesn't help, but I haven't been impressed by the quality of the original alloys on the i30s I've had. They seem prone to corrosion. If I was to change them, I'd look for after-market alloys.
  • i30 CRD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I like the Speedy Deceit wheels :goodjob2: the others look a bit to busy imo.

I've got 18"s on mine own GD and they certainly do transmit more road noise through the car due to the lower profile tyre, for the small difference in looks between 18" and 17"s I think the later would be more preferable just for the sake of piece and quiet in the cabin.

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
I like the Speedy Carbines - none of the others tickle my nips.

If I didn't get factory alloys I was going to go the speedy cheetah black/machined lip or the ROH Sprint-r.

It would destroy me of she guttered them though hahaha.

Nice photoshopping BTW, I'm yet to attempt it myself but it's a handy tool

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
@ Steve101.  My vote without a doubt, is the Speedy Carbine Satin Gunmetal 17 x 7.5.

I've posted before that I would like to change from my present oem 18" wheels to 17" and I think those Carbine Satin's in gunmetal would look smart on my car.

One issue I would need to look at is offset (ET).  My oem's are ET53 (from memory) and the Speedy Carbine's are ET40.  So, if the brain cells still remember this stuff right, that means the wheel/tyre would sit 13 mm further OUT?  Need to poke around my wheel arches to see if that works body-wise and check no problems axle load-wise.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 05:40:19 by TerryT »
  • 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
@ Steve101.  My vote without a doubt, is the Speedy Carbine Satin Gunmetal 17 x 7.5.

I've posted before that I would like to change from my present oem 18" wheels to 17" and I think those Carbine Satin's in gunmetal would look smart on my car.

One issue I would need to look at is offset (ET).  My oem's are ET53 (from memory) and the Speedy Carbine's are ET40.  So, if the brain cells still remember this stuff right, that means the wheel/tyre would sit 13 mm further OUT?  Need to poke around my wheel arches to see if that works body-wise and check no problems axle load-wise.

https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=225&aspect=40&diameter=18&wheelwidth=7.5&offset=53&width2=225&aspect2=45&wheel_size=17&wheel_width=7-5&offset2=40

13mm poke is on the money

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=225&aspect=40&diameter=18&wheelwidth=7.5&offset=53&width2=225&aspect2=45&wheel_size=17&wheel_width=7-5&offset2=40

13mm poke is on the money

Josh, thanks for inputting those specs in that calculator.  Very interesting.   I have now earmarked that site. 

Have to say, the term "poke" is a new one on me and I didn't understand what you meant at first.  :)

• 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Offline Steve101

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
mm further OUT?  Ne

Thanks Terry, I've been assured by 2 tyre outlets (Beaurepaires and Goodyear) that the offset is ok and they confirmed that with the supplier. I've said to them if there is an issue after installation then they have to cop any refund for exchange.

Thanks for all your replies. I'm tossing up between the Speedy Podium (17x7.5) and the CSA Vorst (17x7).
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 04:00:45 by Steve101 »

Offline Steve101

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
I have looked at the CSA Hotwire wheels which are all black and no machined face.

I've never really been keen on this look on a white car but I warming to it after seeing some other member's cars in the gallery.

Offline Steve101

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Mission complete.... CSA Hotwires 17x7

Very happy with the look.....

THanks to everyone who helped out on this post.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal