i30 Owners Club

ECU Power relay?

Offline AbrahamSaenz

• 2nd Gear

• pa Panama
      PANAMA
Hi folks,

Just would like if there is such a thing as a "Power Relay" for the ECU, my car ECU seems to have died, but I was recommeded by someone to check that relay first before replacing the ECU which is about 1/3 the value of the car right now.

I've been searching for this but did not find anything of sorts, not even its location.

I appreciate the help.

Regards,
  • 2010 FD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt, Auto, Electric Blue

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi folks,

Just would like if there is such a thing as a "Power Relay" for the ECU, my car ECU seems to have died, but I was recommeded by someone to check that relay first before replacing the ECU which is about 1/3 the value of the car right now.

I've been searching for this but did not find anything of sorts, not even its location.

I appreciate the help.

Regards,
Guess that answers the starting issue. There's relays marked ECU1-4 and a main relay . All should be in the main fuse box near the battery,  my question here is, ECU has died, so you could also get the pinouts and back probe the harness and confirm power is present.

Also you'll see same type of relay used multiple places so could swap around with known good relay.

I'm bare of knowledge with these plus the no immobo option but at least that should make replacement somewhat plug n play

What other options are there in panama, are these popular there? wrecking yards? DO you have the part number? is it feasible to get a used ECU?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline AbrahamSaenz

• 2nd Gear

• pa Panama
      PANAMA
Thanks for the replay,

I've finally found a technician to check my car. The issue seems to be the ECU saddly. I will try getting it repaired, as it seems like either a capacitor or a relay inside the ECU is malfunctioning.

Yes, because the car does not have an inmobilizer it should be plug and play, the main issue for me is that in Panama, most cars sold where automatic, mine is manual, there are some wrecks in the market right now, but none manual :(.

The dealer wants to charge 1000 dollars plus labor...

I'll keep you guys informed.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
How old is the car?

Is it still in warranty?

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
How old is the car?

Is it still in warranty?
His signature will answer that for you Lester :wink:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
How old is the car?

Is it still in warranty?
His signature will answer that for you Lester :wink:
On tt and not showing

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Thanks for the replay,

I've finally found a technician to check my car. The issue seems to be the ECU saddly. I will try getting it repaired, as it seems like either a capacitor or a relay inside the ECU is malfunctioning.

Yes, because the car does not have an inmobilizer it should be plug and play, the main issue for me is that in Panama, most cars sold where automatic, mine is manual, there are some wrecks in the market right now, but none manual :(.

If it's manual you may want to change your profile details as it says Auto. Is KIA in the marketplace too?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 20:26:10 by tw2005 »

Offline AbrahamSaenz

• 2nd Gear

• pa Panama
      PANAMA
Thanks for the replay,

If it's manual you may want to change your profile details as it says Auto. Is KIA in the marketplace too?

We do, however, not the Xceed :(

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thanks for the replay,

We do, however, not the Xceed :(

A work around is to get an auto ECU, from car without immobiliser.  you should get the plug too to make the pinout easier. Find connections to the auto and bridge them so the ECU thinks it is in Neutral. It may Rev a bit higher at idle, but the car will drive the same.
Probably possible to get ECU remapped as a Manual.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 23:52:04 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
If the ECU does open up , I'd be interested in seeing some photos.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

If you are referring to the above work around. No need to open it, its simply find the pins that go the auto shift and bridge them. 
It may turn out that the auto one will simply plug in and work ok. Probably find a code saying data line not connected.

NB: I have never tried this on an i30. Abraham has a problem with an unusual model. The above is my experience with an ECU swap on a BMW. Basically the same source of electronics and in our case similar immobilisers.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 22:14:24 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

If you are referring to the above work around. No need to open it, its simply find the pins that go the auto shift and bridge them. 
It may turn out that the auto one will simply plug in and work ok. Probably find a code saying data line not connected.

NB: I have never tried this on an i30. Abraham has a problem with an unusual model. The above is my experience with an ECU swap on a BMW. Basically the same source of electronics and in our case similar immobilisers.
When he attempts to have the internals repaired

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal