Dazzler · 16 · 7858

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Folks,

I forgot to mention that prior to my last 200km trip I decided to check the oil (probably 3000km since I last checked)

Was parked on my level driveway and had allowed at least 10 minutes for warm oil to settle before checking.

Oil on dipstick was halfway between low and full mark. So I put in 500mls of Castrol Edge Sport 5w-30 (same as I use at my services)

I only put 500mls in because there is a warning on the filler cap about over filling can cause damage to engine...

This is the first time I can remember adding oil between services in any car I've bought from new (and I've had around 17 brand new vehicles including company cars)

Although, to be fair I have done 11,000 km since my last service which is longer than I've ever done between services B4 (I think..)

Not too concerned but will monitor it more closely until get my next service which is due in about 3,500 kms...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Thats interesting Dazz. I have checked my i30 a few times between servicing and never had to add so much as a drop of oil. Did you check the level after last service? Maybe they failed to fill it to capacity?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Eyma,

I checked the oil a few times since the last service and this is the first time it has been down... :'(

I'm wondering if the hot spell had something to do with it...

Offline middy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• White i30 SLX CRDi, 5sp man. Brisbane, QLD
It's funny you should mention about using oil between services Dazz because I checked my oil a couple of weeks ago and discovered it was halfway between L and F.  I keep meaning to call the dealership where I get it serviced to find out what oil they use then I can use the same type to top it up.  Anyway I still haven't called the dealer but I checked the oil again tonight and now it is reading full again.  What the????  The car is parked in the same position as the previous time (in the garage) and both times it was left to stand for plenty of time before checking the dipstick.  I really don't know what is going on here.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
My oil was between F and L before my service.

Called into dealers to check oil grade and as it was due a service suggested I leave and they would check for leakes etc. 

Been checking every 2/3 weeks since and no drop in level.

Have you check oil plug to make sure not leaking or the dip stick to make sure fully home.

Also, check around engine to see if any obvious signs of leakage.

Don't worry 4 years left on warranty!!
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
I was reading a magazine in a waiting room today (I think it was top gear) and they mentioned a diesel Golf they have as a test car has used 500mL lately.  I remember reading on another forum someone whining about how diesels use oil.  First I've heard of it.  Incidently the magazine journo wasnt too impressed with the Golf.  Rattles developing almost daily inside.

I need to check my oil havent looked for a while.  15000km service is up soon anyway.

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
Hi Dazzle,

It's not that unusual for an engine to use a little oil in the running in period, and 15000km is a long way for an engine to go without a change. I changed mine at 3000 and mine has used a couple of hundred mls in about 11000km since then.

Also, as you note, extreme heat will cause more oil consumption, you might also notice it gets a little noisier on really hot days. Even tho the coolant temp stays correct the oil temp will be higher, which can make it thinner, and given they're already using thin oil, some can get burned.

If it uses significant oil in cooler or normal weather with more than about 20000km on the clock you may want to look in to it then.

All internal combustion engines use minute quantities of oil as part of the combustion process too, but the level frequently doesn't drop between services as the quantity of oil in the sump is added to by pollutants. It's nothing to worry about unless it gets excessive, like that Golf. Which is a modern VW so I'm not surprised they are having trouble with it.  :wink:

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
... but the level frequently doesn't drop between services as the quantity of oil in the sump is added to by pollutants...

That's so obvious now, yet something I hadn't considered before. Nice one MRH
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

I know in Petrol engines, a rich mixture can cause oil dilution - unburnt petrol dissolves into the oil.  If you do lots of short trips, the oil level will stay the same or rise.  Go on a long trip, oil heats up, petrol evaporates - bam! suddenly the oil level has dropped alarmingly.  I dont think the diesel will evaporate out of the oil like petrol tho - not sure.  But certainly the soot will bolster up the volume a bit.

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

Just checked my oil level, looks like it has dropped slightly - its now half-way between F and L.  I've covered 13.5k and the oil in there is still the same from new, so I'm not too concerned, but I'll keep an eye on it.  Incidently I checked the owners manual, it says only to add oil if "the level is near or at L" so if it drops slightly after 15000km I'm not adding anything

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for your comments folks (was going to say Guys but that would be sexist  :razz:)

I checked the oil this morning before I set off and it is spot on the F mark so doesn't look like that 500mls I added did any harm...

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
... but the level frequently doesn't drop between services as the quantity of oil in the sump is added to by pollutants...

That's so obvious now, yet something I hadn't considered before. Nice one MRH

Good post MRH, your piston goes up, leaves oil on bore wall ( fine film ) fires can burn some oil from bore wall then some fuel gets to go into the oil.

i had never needed to top up oil, but after all the heat i check oil leave a few times it was not down very much but i toped up, did a 1,000 k trip in reasonable temps and came back checked oil still at top. it does not worry me it pays to check regularly.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

We don't have many pollutants in Tassie  :D Maybe that's why they didn't compensate for the burnt oil... :P

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
probably all that smoke from the bush fires blowing down your way Dazz .

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
I have just one offtopic question..

The gap between services (diesel) is 20.000 km (12.500 miles). Do you change your oil and oil filter every 20.000 km or do you change it more often? Because in our country no one really changes oil before? Because I know Renault has services every 30.000 km and people change oil then every 30.000 km..

I do approx 4.000-5.000 km (2.500-3.100 miles) every month and it sounds a lot to change oil every month or so.. Especially for some people that do even more kilometers per month chaning oil could be expensive? Because 5 lit of 5W-30 costs approx 80-100 eur?

Offline Zombie

• 2nd Gear

• 1.6 CRDi (84.6 kW) Comfort, Finland
The gap between services (diesel) is 20.000 km (12.500 miles). Do you change your oil and oil filter every 20.000 km or do you change it more often?

In my opinion there's no need to change the oils more often than every 20.000 kms if you don't drive under harsh conditions. Modern oils are designed to endure even longer service intervals. I won't do any extra oil and filter changes, even the salesman said that it wouldn't be necessary.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal