i30 Owners Club

D4FB engine in MY18 PD? When factory spec states U-II?

Bob.W · 5 · 8170

Offline Bob.W

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Coffs Harbour
Hi Members,

I stumbled across this yesterday - and I'm a bit confused.  Before I speak to Hyundai I thought I'd get my ducks in a row and see if there's a good explanation for it - and if it's something I should be concerned/want rectification or an explanation on.

My vehicle is a i30 PD MY18 - exactly as is shown here: http://www.redbook.com.au/cars/details/2017-hyundai-i30-elite-auto-my18/SPOT-ITM-465858/
So as per the Redbook specs the engine is a U-II and even My Hyundai states the spec as "1.6 - U2DDCT-7SPEED".

And yet through a hassle yesterday I found that I don't seem to have a U-II engine in the vehicle. I went to fit what should have been the U-II's fuel filter and found it didn't fit. The explanation seems that the vehicle actually has a much older spec'd D4FB engine in it - the vehicle's engine code being D4FBHU755xxxx.

So how is this explained?  As from checking Redbook it seems the last D4FB's went into diesel vehicles in the GDe3 Series 2 cars released in 2015 - so a BIG time difference.  I have the original new vehicle sale paperwork from the Hyundai dealer, which also shows the same engine number - the production date for the vehicle was 28APR17. So seems very odd to have a D4FB in it.

Every single bit of reference material on this model says it should have a U-II engine, i.e Ryco, SCA, Repco etc.

Any guidance would be welcomed.

Thank you in advance.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 03:38:09 by Bob.W »
  • 2017 PD 5 door hatch, diesel 1.6lt, auto

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
U2 or U ii is just the variant of the D4FB - updated from the original U in 2009. Listed as the diesel in PD i30.

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
The D4FB is a variant of the U - family of Hyundai diesel engines. There are other variants such as the D3FA, D3FB, D4FA etc. The D4FB is the 4 cylinder 1.6L variant.

If you go to :link: PartSouq Auto Parts Around the World and search using your VIN number you find lots of info on the engine. The 2011 FD car I used to own shows the engine as type R87A and the serial number begins D4FBAZ. The 2015 GD I have now shows engine type as R18E and serial number begins D4FBFZ

I don't know what it would be for the PD variant as I don't have an example of a VIN number. The engine is different though, it has belt-cam instead of chain cam and oil filter is in a different position.

Partsouq website is a useful tool to identify the part numbers for an specific vehicle. Once you have the OEM part number it's easier to find cross-references for aftermarket parts.

• i30 CRD

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
The D4FB is a variant of the U - family of Hyundai diesel engines. There are other variants such as the D3FA, D3FB, D4FA etc. The D4FB is the 4 cylinder 1.6L variant.

If you go to :link: PartSouq Auto Parts Around the World and search using your VIN number you find lots of info on the engine. The 2011 FD car I used to own shows the engine as type R87A and the serial number begins D4FBAZ. The 2015 GD I have now shows engine type as R18E and serial number begins D4FBFZ

I don't know what it would be for the PD variant as I don't have an example of a VIN number. The engine is different though, it has belt-cam instead of chain cam and oil filter is in a different position.

Partsouq website is a useful tool to identify the part numbers for an specific vehicle. Once you have the OEM part number it's easier to find cross-references for aftermarket parts.
Admin,

Wondering whether this reply should be hived off as a sticky as it provides very good info to identify parts etc. .
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Bob.W

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Coffs Harbour
Brendan,
Thank you for your reply, excellent explanation and info.

Hyundai did seem to make it a tad more complicated than needed - but that might be just me.  That site is handy, I've bookmarked it for future reference. Amazing level of detail on it about one's car.

Odd Hyundai went 'forwards' from a chain to a cam belt - sounds like a questionable improvement.

FWIW that site lists my car as a G3S61EC5U, engine is a HR86

The thing that triggered all this was that while the OEM fitted fuel filter part is a 31922C8900 (which is a Z707, something I was only able to ascertain AFTER it was removed) - a bunch of websites including Ryco's state that it is instead a Z615???

This was completely incorrect - and sadly why I'll be popping 4 unused Z615 filter up here for another member to buy at a pinch as I bought them based on this info.

So I assume its just Ryco thats stuffed up their info - rather than Hyundai. Still somewhat odd as you'd think they'd know such basic things, we're not talking about the diameter of a washer used on some obscure part of the car.
  • 2017 PD 5 door hatch, diesel 1.6lt, auto

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal