2017 i30sr starting problem

Liisa · 322 · 99469

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Ok, so I've contacted Hyundai Global with a slightly modified message as below. Lets see what happens... I might pinch that potential Nobel Peace prize off Trump if I can get this sorted...

Hi There,

I am the co-founder and Administrator of the worldwide i30 Owners club. I am based in Devonport Tasmania and have an i30 SR (DCT) which is our 4th i30 since 2008.

While I don't have any major issues with my vehicle we are having a number of Members with a relatively major issue with the same model. It is starting to impact on the reputation of this popular model. One member has already traded his i30 SR on a Holden Astra after getting poor support about his issue and others are getting frustrated and angry. See link to one of our threads on the issue below.

It relates to a failure to start, which can be embarrassing and very inconvenient (particularly in a new vehicle)

Here is a link to the main thread on our site.

Can this be made known to the "Powers that be" so that a more coordinated effort can be undertaken to identify and resolve this issue ASAP.

:link: 2017 i30sr starting problem
I did contact Hyundai AUstralia but their reply was basically for the owners to contact their closest Dealer, which in most cases hasn't been much help!

Regards,

Darryl Bailey
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Ok, so I've contacted Hyundai Global with a slightly modified message as below. Lets see what happens... I might pinch that potential Nobel Peace prize off Trump if I can get this sorted...

Hi There,

I am the co-founder and Administrator of the worldwide i30 Owners club. I am based in Devonport Tasmania and have an i30 SR (DCT) which is our 4th i30 since 2008.

While I don't have any major issues with my vehicle we are having a number of Members with a relatively major issue with the same model. It is starting to impact on the reputation of this popular model. One member has already traded his i30 SR on a Holden Astra after getting poor support about his issue and others are getting frustrated and angry. See link to one of our threads on the issue below.

It relates to a failure to start, which can be embarrassing and very inconvenient (particularly in a new vehicle)

Here is a link to the main thread on our site.

Can this be made known to the "Powers that be" so that a more coordinated effort can be undertaken to identify and resolve this issue ASAP.

:link: 2017 i30sr starting problem
I did contact Hyundai AUstralia but their reply was basically for the owners to contact their closest Dealer, which in most cases hasn't been much help!

Regards,

Darryl Bailey

You have done well Dazz. As Hyundai have stated owners should contact their dealers ,personally I think Hyundai should contact the dealers and take ownership of the problem. I feel sorry for the folks that have the problem and it is obvious it has been shoved back to the owners & dealers who cant solve it.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Beardyboy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi.

Ive had my 2018 i30 SR since 28 March....and the same starting issues happened after about 2 weeks. Identical issues to what you are experiencing.

I took the car in for its 1000km check on 30th April ...and of course, they couldn't replicate the issue.

So i' ve taken to videoing each start to catch the problem as it happens.

Like you, the car starts from cold with out an issue. But after being left for c 1 hr or so the car struggles to start. When it does after cranking for a few seconds, the tick over is lumpy and the engine light and key/transponder light stays on. When i press the accelerator, the engine light and key/transponder light go off and the lumpy tickover disappears....as if nothing ever happened.

Ive also noticed that until i press the accelerator, neither the radio or lights (at night)  turn on..... its almost as if the pressing the accelerator is somehow completing the ignition process.

Im going to gather a number of video clips before going back to the dealer.

thinking out load , i saw a video of a guy from Scandinavia on You Tube that was having problems with his i30N...he mentioned that he had had the fuel pump replaced.

Im wondering if our starting issue is Fuel pump or Ignition coil related.

• Formerly a 2018 PD2 SR DCT, White (Lemon)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for that Beardyboy,

I haven't heard any more from Hyundai since my latest contact. On behalf of our members. I haven't had the issue with my SR yet..  :Touch:

Yes, I thought the same thing. From memory someone did have their Fuel Pump replaced without it fixing the problem. :undecided:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi.

Im wondering if our starting issue is Fuel pump or Ignition coil related.

Thanks for the added input.

We have advice that a Dealer has tried the fuel pump scenario and was not successful.
Adding your description to others, I suggest this seems more like software however the time delay is baffling.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Beardyboy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Just a bit of an update.

I’ve showed videos of my car and others found on You tube to lead technician at Alto.

Car now booked in for the week of 25 June.

Let’s see what happens

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Just a bit of an update.

I’ve showed videos of my car and others found on You tube to lead technician at Alto.

Car now booked in for the week of 25 June.

Let’s see what happens

Excellent.

I didn't hear anything back from Hyundai Global.  :fum:

Offline Khuntza

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
I believe I have seen the same issue. I have a 2017 i30 SR Premium purchased Jan this year.

It happened 3 times the day beore the 1500km checkup and its happened about half a dozen times since. Naturally, it can't be replicated by the service technicians. The first time we suspected it was fuel related but Ive only put 95 in it since then. At the 10,000km it just had they tested again and found nothing of note either.

From my troubleshooting and observations I think its power realted or maybe starter time out related.  When it happens, the multimedia unit doesnt seem to power up and stays dark. The vehicle starts but the engine warning light shows. If I press the start button it usually shuts off the engine and it will then start as normal on the next try.  Once or twice pressing the start button has tried to start an already running motor but a second press will stop it and itll start fine again next try.

This has happened when the engine is both cold and warm. But like others mentioned, it seems more common to happen when its warm and Ive been at the shops for 30min to an hour.

Ive noticed during normal starting that the multimedia unit powers on with the engine, so if the engine takes longer to start then the multimedia unit is delayed.  The time seems to vary each time the vehicle is started.  There is a Hyundai logo that shows only about 1 in 10 starts where as most times it goes straight to the safety warning screen.  Its almost as if the engine starts right as the time out kicks in, leaving the engine running with a computer that thinks it didnt start.  Just my thoughts.

Next time it happens Ill try pressing the accelerator like suggested to see if that completes the ignition process.
  • 2017 i30 SR Premium

Offline Beardyboy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
My car goes in for a week long check on Monday after the technician saw a collection of video footage of the starting issue.

Having looked at a few other i30 starting issues on you tube, I came across a video for a different car with a similar starting issue ( no error codes)  that turned out to be a Mass airflow Sensor issues..... it got me wondering if this was the issue with my i30

Offline rjl

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Hi guys has anyone by any chance had there issues fixed? or heard back from there dealer in regards to the issue?. I'm unfortunately getting the same issue as everyone else in my SR premium PD2.
  • 2018 PD2 Hyundai I30 SR Premium

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi guys has anyone by any chance had there issues fixed? or heard back from there dealer in regards to the issue?. I'm unfortunately getting the same issue as everyone else in my SR premium PD2.

Quick answer... No.
they still duck for cover.
But with pressure from people like you they will have to deal with the problem.
Unfortunately, given Hyundai's lack of response, their reputation will remain soiled, even after they resolve all issues.
Dumb and Dumber  :head_knock:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@rjl  :wlcome01:

They seem to be getting closer from some of the feedback on here. Feel free to show this thread to your dealer if it helps.

When they only get a problem like this with maybe one car in 20 or less, a Service department might only get one such complaint.

They don't seem to have a problem sharing process in place.  :crazy1:

Excuse the french, but it is getting BLOODY frustrating..

I've bought up the issue with Hyundai Australia and Hyundai Global but no useful feedback so far.  :fum:

Offline rjl

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Hi thanks for the reply guys :). Maybe this update can help everyone. I manage to get in touch with a mate today, happens to be a service manager at a Hyundai dealership. Apparently they were told by Hyundai HQ about this issue only this week, based on the reports of other Hyundai dealers, but they were not told how to fix it, only get data from affected car and set it back to HQ. bummer its ruining the new car feel :( . Based on how long this forum post has been going, that's an awful long time.

Also I haven't fully read all the posts here. But has anybody else experienced long starting time for the engine. similar to the car not starting issue.
the engine will start, but it takes a long time to crank up, almost like a car with a weak battery. it happening to my car on top of the, not starting issue.
  • 2018 PD2 Hyundai I30 SR Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for that feedback. Finally some positive news. Like you say they should have done something like that months ago.

Have you tried priming the car by first pressing the starter without your foot on the brake, then waiting a few seconds and then starting it as normal with your foot on the brake. Apparently that helps. I have been lucky so far, but still makes me nervous, having the same model. I do love my car though.  :undecided:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :goodjob2:

It sounds like the beast is getting restless, but "send us the data" sounds like mere lip service. Hyundai HQ should have taken back some affected vehicles and had their system designers, who understand electronics, work to solve their problem.

Have you tried priming the car by first pressing the starter without your foot on the brake,
What are we priming? Just a question.  :Pout:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yes, Gary, it does seem Hyundai aren't really taking this seriously enough.  :disapp:

I assume if it is working then it must be priming the fuel pump or something else in the fuel line? I'm not the mechanic here..  :whistler:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Problem for mine is two way.

Dealers sending cars back to owners with 'Tested no fault found' without documenting the issue and reporting back to Hyundai mean that it takes time for head office to realise there is an issue.  Especally when clients come in with videos of the fault. These should be obtained and sent back to Hyundai, the fault is proven, here it is, now lets work on the issue. Create a code for reports of said issue and start mining data for possible causes. I have no doubt once enough data comes in the super computer to work out a part that is common to the vehicles that may be the cause.

Any report of a new fault that cannot be fixed should be reported to HQ to be documented, this should see them ahead of the game when an issue arises as they should have already started to work towards a cure.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I assume if it is working then it must be priming the fuel pump or something else in the fuel line? I'm not the mechanic here..  :whistler:
Nor me on keyless start. From what I observe on the Mazda, nothing happens.   :head_knock: Might check that shortly.

.  .... Any report of a new fault that cannot be fixed should be reported to HQ to be documented, this should see them ahead of the game when an issue arises as they should have already started to work towards a cure.

I see it your way mate. But the information has to be relevant and backed by reasoned testing. If HQ get reports from prats who cant be bothered or mangers who wont waste wages properly tracking a problem, then it will just become a bureaucratic  pile of papers in someone's out-bin.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Nor me on keyless start. From what I observe on the Mazda, nothing happens.   :head_knock: Might check that shortly.

.  .... Any report of a new fault that cannot be fixed should be reported to HQ to be documented, this should see them ahead of the game when an issue arises as they should have already started to work towards a cure.

I see it your way mate. But the information has to be relevant and backed by reasoned testing. If HQ get reports from prats who cant be bothered or mangers who wont waste wages properly tracking a problem, then it will just become a bureaucratic  pile of papers in someone's out-bin.

In Hybrids like the Camry Hybrid they start priming things as soon as you open the door and get in. You can hear a kind of whirring noise like a pump priming. But you are right I don't hear any noises when i press the starter button with my foot off the brake in the SR. Mind you I am fairly deaf!  However I assume something must happen if it helps the start these troublesome cars..  :undecided:

Yes, and as far as the contacting head office goes, they need to only contact them for serious issues, but they don't come much more serious than this. It wouldn't be too hard to design a checklist for a problem like this that could document the fault and be collated in Head Office for further action.  :crazy1:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Put a battery in the key fob and witnessed the sceptical. Probably does prime fuel along with everything else. I note that we have a report of a fuel pump change having no affect.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Put a battery in the key fob and witnessed the sceptical. Probably does prime fuel along with everything else. I note that we have a report of a fuel pump change having no affect.

Cheers for checking.  :goodjob:

Of course it is possible that a replacement fuel pump had the same undiagnosed fault. The N has had some fuel pump issues apparently (a bad batch?)  :undecided:

Offline Beardyboy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Mike Sinclair -Director of Content and Editor in Chief of MOTORING (Part of CarSales) has agreed to follow up with Hyundai on my behalf.

It might be an idea if all of us with the warm start issue try and get Mike on the case. He wants to see the video footage etc

Im happy to forward his details to those of you are will see this through.

Offline Beardyboy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
this is the email trail between me and Hyundai customer care.....their final reply (at the bottom) is Customer service GOLD

Dear Sirs,

I have a Jan 2018 i30SR (DCT) that I bought new 28 April2018.

There is a major failure issue related to warm starting the vehicle. ie if the car is restarted after c 30 mins after running at normal temperature ( say the commute to work) , then it firstly struggles to start (cranks for up to 10 secs) and the engine light and immobiliser lights stay on until the car is manually revved. Its as if the ignition sequence isn't completed. No fault codes are produced according to the auto link.
The dealer from where I bought it has "tested" the car now on 3 separate occasions (the last being a week long stay in the work shop), and claim that a) they cannot replicate the issue and b) no fault codes are produced. I have provided various video footage on when the issue occurs to the dealer. Attached is a recent video of the incident. The dealer has advised me to run the car only on 98 (rather than e10) for the next 6-8 weeks and keep a diary and log of fill ups/ incidents... whilst I have agreed to do this, I shouldn't be expected to be a Hyundai test mules part of the new car ownership experience.
I notice from the i30owners forum, that a growing number of SR DCT owners are reporting similar issues and are getting the same run around from their dealers.
I am extremely concerned that this warm starting issue will only worsen as dealers will look no further than fault codes rather properly investigate the issue.

I would like to know why Hyundai will do to resolve this issue rather than refer me back to the dealer network in the first instance.

Attachment(s)
i30 warm start issue.MOV

THEY RESPONDED

Hi Iain,

Thank you for contacting Hyundai Customer Care and providing us an opportunity to respond.

It is disappointing to learn there is this warm starting concern with the vehicle, but the dealership would need to fault / replicate the concerns before they can proceed.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to respond to this email.
Kind regards,
Anton Crump
Senior Customer Care Officer
Hyundai Motor Company Australia
:link: Customer Care Centre
Phone: 1800 186 306

I RESPONDED

Dear Anton
Thank you for your response.
With respect, are you suggesting that unless there a fault code is produced OR that the issue arises in front of the technician that Hyundai deem there is no fault?
I have provided video evidence that clearly shows what happens when the warm start issue arises and I would have thought that, from the footage, a good technician should be able to come up with a list of areas to investigate and components to test….yes this is likely to be a time consuming exercise for the technician.
Given the nature of the issue, I do not know how thoroughly the technicians at Alto have investigated my car when it has been in at the service centre or whether the circumstances that produce the fault have been met….like i've said above, this is likely to be a time consuming task that requires a senior technicians problem solving skills.
I would like Hyundai to get involved and physically assist the Alto team as i'm sure that your most senior technical people will have come across 'no fault code' producing issues before.
At the moment I have been asked to run the vehicle on 98 Ron fuel only for the next 6-8 weeks to see what effect that has ( so far no difference)…considering the car should run on 91 and is e10 compatible, this feels like a bit of a pointless exercise.. but am complying.
I am aware through the i30Owners forum of other PD i30 SR DCT owners with the same issue that are having the same runaround with their dealers.
You will be familiar with the recent Ford Gearbox issue in the focus and fiesta etc and how the dealerships couldn’t replicate and put it down to owner driving……the dealer run around and lack of owner support proved to be an expensive mistake for Ford and something that the rest of the automotive industry should learn from.
So, please can you let me know how Hyundai will to resolve the warn starting issue both on my vehicle and others affected by the same issue.
Many thanks

AND HYUNDAI CAME BACK WITH

I have read your email and understand what you believe and would like to see happen

The dealership (Hyundai Motor Company Australia) would need to fault / replicate the starting concerns before they can proceed.

HMCA will not enter into any further correspondence on this matter.
Kind regards,
Anton Crump
Senior Customer Care Officer
Hyundai Motor Company Australia
:link: Customer Care Centre
Phone: 1800 186 306

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That's a great idea getting Mike Sinclair involved.

I would also be sending that email transcript to the ACCC - Unbelievable (but I do believe you)  :crazy1: :fum:

Sounds like Hyundai Customer care is overdue for a  name change!  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi Dazz and others, I have put together ( in abstract form for clarity) the faults, the known attempts to repair, resistance by Hyundai etc. I will add the new Reponses above to a locked page, with link back here.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Of course it is possible that a replacement fuel pump had the same undiagnosed fault. The N has had some fuel pump issues apparently (a bad batch?)  :undecided:

Problem I have with accepting fuel pump theory is that we have reports of the SR engine not shutting down.
The N..hmm.  :undecided: I haven't included that in the above report because we have "bad fuel pump" or "its the same as the SR". eg None is evidence based.

PS: bit busy but still here, G.  :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Problem I have with accepting fuel pump theory is that we have reports of the SR engine not shutting down.
The N..hmm.  :undecided: I haven't included that in the above report because we have "bad fuel pump" or "its the same as the SR". eg None is evidence based.

PS: bit busy but still here, G.  :)

Cheers Gary, All good. I didn't expect you to include the N (different engine and maybe different fuel pump too) Just interesting about a "sort" of similar issue with some cars.  :cool:

Offline Plutonus

• 1st Gear

• Sydney
this is the email trail between me and Hyundai customer care.....their final reply (at the bottom) is Customer service GOLD

You may wish to remind HMCA that under Australian Consumer Law a manufacturer must provide a product that is of acceptable quality, and if it is not, a consumer is entitled to approach the manufacturer for a remedy.

Perhaps contact the Fair Trading body in your state. I'm sure they'll be thrilled to hear a manufacturer is refusing to comply with the consumer guarantees.
  • i30 SR Premium

Offline Beardyboy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi

Following on from the dealer head scratching and the brush off from Hyundai customer care, I contacted the editor of Motoring ( part of Carsales)... today they received this response to my complaint:

After speaking with Tech, they are aware of about 5 vehicles with this sort of concern. However due to the extremely intermittent nature of the issue, have not had any dealer able to replicate it and have not been able to obtain any data from the vehicles.

We are going to request that this customer presents his vehicle to Alto to have a D Logger set up in the vehicle to capture the data surrounding the issue as he advises that it happens almost every time for him.

We will arrange a loan vehicle for the customer while the vehicle is at Alto getting set up to minimise the disruption to the customer.
”.”

Hopefully with a bit of motoring press involvement, they’ll take the issue a bit more seriously

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks! Someone has to say it! "About F'ing time"!  :crazy1:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal