i30 Owners Club

2011 1.6 Diesel - New Bilstein B4 Struts Fitment Issue

Offline jfdelacruz

• 3rd Gear

• ph Philippines
      Paranaque City, Manilla
Hi,

Anyone on here have any experience or an idea how to solve this? I read on here a member had this happen on a CW using Bilstein B6's, I really dont know if his experience and parts will fit mine...

I've just got all new Bilstein B4's in (fronts and rear). The rears fitted fine, plug and play. The front struts however, the spring perch seems to be smaller. I checked the part numbers all in partsouq and in spareto, they are supposed to be direct fit...

Maybe I need a different spring pad?

I would really like to have all around same strut and re-use my original springs (no rust, still in very good condition, live in tropical weather).

Here's a link to some pictures to give you some idea -> :link: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

• 2011 FDe i30 1.6 CRDi 6M/T

Offline jfdelacruz

• 3rd Gear

• ph Philippines
      Paranaque City, Manilla
Thought to give an update seeing as how nobody replied and I've already done the research, might as well help the community in case someone else encounters the same issue in the future.

When buying new front struts, make sure to identify if the strut is for KMH or TMA (VIN number) model. the KMH has larger spring perch compared to the TMA and their springs are not compatible with each other.

If like me, you have accidentally purchased a TMA based strut (like Bilstein B4 and B6), then you will need to buy the appropriate hardware (upper & lower pads, springs, upper mounting bracket, springs) (part numbers come from this thread :link: Fitted Bilstein B6 shocks to FD wagon)

I tried looking for all those part numbers but for some reason they are all stated as no longer available or out of stock.

I ended up just buying a brand new Sachs strut that is exactly for my KMH model.

The rear struts and shocks and other hardware, from my research seem to be universal no matter the market or VIN of your car.
  • 2011 FDe i30 1.6 CRDi 6M/T

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Thanks, JF, good information for others when needed. :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
One can try using www.partsouq.com, enter the vehicle VIN number, and this should identify the OEM part number. Once you have that, it should allow you to cross-reference the catalogues of after-market parts so you know you're getting the exact match.
  • i30 CRD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal