i30 Owners Club

i30 PD LED tail lights upgrade

UX305 · 22 · 8307

Offline UX305

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hello.. I have a non-SR/non-premium i30 PD2... meaning it has only 'normal' tail lights instead of the cool LED tail lights.

Does anyone know, from electrical and cabling standpoing, if the LED tail lights (e.g. from a wrecked SR/premium) will be compatible to be installed in other trims in the i30 PD range?

Want to avoid modifications on the electricals backend....

Thank you in advance :)
  • 2018 PD2 2.0 Elite White

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
They should just be plug and play as were the GD LED taillights which I installed on mine, indicators and reverse are still halogen bulbs.

Easiest solution is get the wrecker to send you a photo of the plug connection, if it's the same as what your looks like it'll work :goodjob2:

Offline UX305

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thank you, CraigB! I've been quoted by wrecker for $240 for pair of LED tail lights.. It that a reasonable price?

Cheers

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thank you, CraigB! I've been quoted by wrecker for $240 for pair of LED tail lights.. It that a reasonable price?

Cheers

Yes, very (if complete and in good condition) they are apparently around $800 to $1000 for a pair, brand new!  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline UX305

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thank you, Dazzler! I'll check them out

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yes, very (if complete and in good condition) they are apparently around $800 to $1000 for a pair, brand new!  :cool:
Try about $700 per lense from Hyundai😁

@UX305 $240 is a great price  :goodjob2:
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 09:24:24 by CraigB »

Offline UX305

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Whaaat.. okay, thanks for that, CraigB. I agreed $200 for the pair :)

Well... it's from a totalled SR... rear of the car looks intact and the tail lights are said to be in good and working condition.

Wrecker said I could get my money back if they don't work... not sure how easy that will be... I'll try my luck and will keep my original tail lights for a while just in case.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 04:23:24 by UX305 »

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@UX305 I thought I'd double check those prices with Hyundai so I just got off the phone with parts, would you like to sit down first :snigger:

Complete LED tail light set $4700...the outer lenses alone are $1100 each :crazy1: they're dearer than the genuine GD LED tail lights which are $2800 new.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Bargain! You should be Ok.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

@CraigB That's insane... Don't tell the wreckers! :crazy1:

Offline UX305

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Oh! Thank you for investigating that, you guys are the best. Those Hyundai parts prices are crazy  :Shocked:

Could have more than stepped up to a whole SR car in the first place with that money... with a "little bit" more than cooler tail lights!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 06:06:28 by UX305 »

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I can only imagine what the LED head lights are priced at on the Premiums :eek: lights all round would be 9-10K :faint:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I can only imagine what the LED head lights are priced at on the Premiums :eek: lights all round would be 9-10K :faint:

I should have bought a Premium and downgraded it. Selling the parts would have more than covered any depreciation!  :idea: :crazy2:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Robbie

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Selling the parts would have more than covered any depreciation! 

Not a bad option..  The 16 inch alloys (Active PD2) are $920 EACH, tyres not included!
  • i30 PD2

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Selling the parts would have more than covered any depreciation!

Not a bad option..  The 16 inch alloys (Active PD2) are $920 EACH, tyres not included!
That doesn't sound right :confused: the PD SR 18" rims are $850 each, makes me wonder who would be stupid enough to pay that sort of price anyway :crazy1: you can get lightweight fully forged rims for that cost and any $150-$200 aftermarket rim would equal the quality of a cast alloy rim from the factory.

Offline Robbie

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
PD SR 18" rims are $850 each

Maybe gone up now, as that's the price quoted last month by Hyundai's service centre.
  • i30 PD2

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
PD SR 18" rims are $850 each

Maybe gone up now, as that's the price quoted last month by Hyundai's service centre.
They do seem to vary, I just called my local Hyundai dealership and was told $1040 each for the PD 16” alloys :crazy1: even the parts guy laughed and mentioned buying a full set of aftermarket CSA or ROH for $800 would be better :D

Offline UX305

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hey.. sorry for the delay, just wanted to inform, in case other PD owners have been considering to upgrade theirs to OEM LED tail lights... this was indeed very easy to do, pure plug and play. Plugs are exactly the same so it was simple DIY replacement of the tail lights housings.

No effect on car electrical. All lights/signals, cruise control, etc are all working.

Attached comparison photo of original lights (right) and "new" (well.. ex-wreck) ones (left). Don't mind the misalignment in the photo, I had not tightened the housings in place when I tested them and took the photo.

Thanks again guys, cheers  :goodjob2:.

Al

« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 23:24:33 by UX305 »

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Winning,

When your happy they work you can probably sell the old ones for $200....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Uber cool, good showing other members the difference in rear lights too. You sure got a bargain  :goodjob:
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Well done Al and thanks for the photo. For the record the LED tail lights are redder than they look in that photo. I really like them on my SR.

Offline UX305

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Indeed they are redder and brighter in real life :).

Also for the record, when I was 'shopping', it happened that there were a few wrecked SRs at the same time (fyi the shell/interior looked intact with airbags deployed so hopefully drivers were also ok). The rear LED lights is naturally a set of 4 lights, each priced individually. I called 4 wreckers. Wrecker 1 quoted $50/piece, Wrecker 2 $80/piece, Wrecker3 $100/piece, and Wrecker4 $150/piece. So the range for the set was $200 - $600... I reckon around $400 for the set should be the "normal" price.

I got lucky with the price but even if the plugs fit, I was still nervous if the LEDs would still work 100% after the accident (although visually they were spared from even a scratch). There was no way to test it at the wrecker. So I'm so glad that they do.

Thanks, all!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal