i30 Owners Club

First Service for a french Hyundai i30 1.4L petrol :-)

abou · 10 · 5437

Offline abou

• 2nd Gear

• fr France
      Normandie, France

• "A man's got to know his limitations"
Hello !
Just made my first service after 7 months and 18500 km done  :happydance:
Here is the list of changed items :
- Engine oil (Igol Symbol Ceramic 5W40 - 3,3L as expected and they gave me the unused 0,7L for further need)
- Oil filter
- Air Filter (I asked them for, because if not they just check it and wait for the next 40.000 km service)
- A/C filter
- Brake pad cleaning (they said new pads are making more dust  :confused:)
Total time : 90 minutes (I had the time to test in the road the ix35 model => much fun  :P
The price : Well... quite expensive for a petrol car to my mind : 288€ (150€ only for filter and oil parts)
Regards,

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thankd for that abou... Sounds abou(t) right  :winker:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Hi Abou.

That's somewhere around 250 GBP's which does seem pricey.   I took the 3 years service plan and I am begininnig to think I made a wise choice, which is a rare event for me, as service costs do seem to be spiraling with all this worldwide uncertainty abut money.

I suppose it is worth it for the warranty tho ????

Asa

Offline abou

• 2nd Gear

• fr France
      Normandie, France

Hi Asa,
I agree with you... service costs are growing like childs  :whistler:
It's about 11€/L for engine oil (lucky it's only 5W40), 40€ for air filter and 45€ for A/C filter !!! Maybe it is manufactured with precious components ? :scared:
To compare I got 2 80's cars I service myself and I spend less money for both than for the i30 (in service, not in petrol  :P)...
you're right about the fact that the warranty is working only if the car is followed in the Hyundai network... so for 5 years of warranty with unlimited kilometers I suppose it is worth it  :winker:
I think you made the good choice by taking service plan.
Regards,

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hi Abou.

That's somewhere around 250 GBP's which does seem pricey.   I took the 3 years service plan and I am begininnig to think I made a wise choice, which is a rare event for me, as service costs do seem to be spiraling with all this worldwide uncertainty abut money.

Asa

Like you I took a service plan for five years (I thought it was four services but in fact it's five).  I was reluctant but got a 10% discount from the first price.  I've since thought perhaps I was had.

Cost was (is on instalments) 1081 so averages £216 per service.

Since checked with another dealer where the 1st service is £176 but the next four bring the total to around £1000 at today's prices.  Perhaps overall mine's s not a bad deal allowing for the inevitable inflation

What did your plan cost?

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Hi Abou.

Asa

Like you I took a service plan for five years (I thought it was four services but in fact it's five).  I was reluctant but got a 10% discount from the first price.  I've since thought perhaps I was had.

Cost was (is on instalments) 1081 so averages £216 per service.

Since checked with another dealer where the 1st service is £176 but the next four bring the total to around £1000 at today's prices.  Perhaps overall mine's s not a bad deal allowing for the inevitable inflation

What did your plan cost?

WOT How much...  Cripes a grand now that would fetch tears to my eyes for sure.   I paid, now let me see, I think it was somewheer round the six hundred pounds mark for the first three.  At that time, eighteen months ago, I had my doubts and thought I may have been had.  Since then of course VAT has shot up and almost every single thing as gone up accordingly so I think I accidently made a good move.   I was peeved at the time that it did not include the first MOT test since my last pre-paid deal with toyota had being fully inclusive, that is, three services and first MOT.

I am guessing thar what I have prepaid will cover the cost and leave me a fraction ahead of the game, or to be more precise, I hope so.

Asa

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
40€ for air filter and 45€ for A/C filter

Approx £40GBP for air filter  ------ I paid I think £11GBP

Approx £45 GBP for A/C filter ----- I paid I think £14 GBP
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Hello !
Just made my first service after 7 months and 18500 km done  :happydance:
Here is the list of changed items :
- Engine oil (Igol Symbol Ceramic 5W40 - 3,3L as expected and they gave me the unused 0,7L for further need)
- Oil filter
- Air Filter (I asked them for, because if not they just check it and wait for the next 40.000 km service)
- A/C filter
- Brake pad cleaning (they said new pads are making more dust  :confused:)
Total time : 90 minutes (I had the time to test in the road the ix35 model => much fun  :P
The price : Well... quite expensive for a petrol car to my mind : 288€ (150€ only for filter and oil parts)
Regards,

I just don't understand one thing. What is the service interval for 1.4 petrol now? If it is 20.000, why go so early and if it is 15.000, why go so late?  :)

Otherwise, the filters are a bit expensive. Over here they would have probably cost you 1/2 the price. The oil is also expensive, it's the same here, if you buy it at service. Why don't you buy oil yourself and bring it to the service? You could save some money there, although the difference wouldn't be that big as it is in diesels, where they put 5,3 l (or something like that) in.. I remember, when we drove Santa Fe to service once and let them put their oil in, because we didn't have the time to buy it ourselves, it cost us around 80 EUR (only for oil). Next time, we bought the oil before the service, the same amount, quality and gradation (5W-30) of oil (only the brand was different), for only 35 EUR and took it to the service. We've been doing that for at least 10 years now.

Hm I remembered now, my father in law has i30, 1.4 petrol and he paid around 80 EUR for the first service + oil (but he bought the oil for approx 30 EUR), so all together was around 110-120 EUR. That's some difference.

Offline abou

• 2nd Gear

• fr France
      Normandie, France

Hello,

That's why I found it expensive eye30... maybe diesel filters are cheaper than petrol  :confused:
Accim, Service interval is 20.000km or 1 year for 1.4L petrol engine. I made it at 18500 because we are travelling next week (more than 3000 km) and I prefer doing the service before the deadline than after (especially with an 30°C outside temp)...
Buying oil and bringing it to the dealer when servicing ? well... yes but in France the dealer is allowed to refuse, saying that warranty could be broken (cars are not expensive, so I believe they have to make money otherwise, and after-sale servicing is the best way). I still have the solution of Speedy or other "fast-food auto centre" whose now propose official manufacturer warranty servicing, at about 50% Hyundai price... We'll see at next service  :undecided:

Regards,

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Cripes a grand now that would fetch tears to my eyes for sure.   I paid, now let me see, I think it was somewheer round the six hundred pounds mark for the first three.  At that time, eighteen months ago, I had my doubts and thought I may have been had

Asa

I am paying monthly not a lump sum so my service bill is covered each time by what I have paid in..  I can cancel for a £40 penalty payment but that would best be done at a service so there is no credit  built up on the plan !!! 
BTW the £1081 for five services is equivalent to your £600 for three services at current prices.
When my  previous Terracans and my wife's Getz were serviced I supplied the oil  - only the best - Total 9000 bought in France for around £20 or less when on offer and saved around £40 on the service cost.  Obviously I can't do that with a service plan but I will want to know what oil they put in. If it is not the recommended Shell Ultra  C3 there will be sparks flying. I wonder what they charge for 5.3 litres of that -  at a per litre price - no doubt.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal