i30 Owners Club

interim 7500km service

Offline kabukiman

• 3rd Gear
  • apricot herder

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Hey guys what generally would be covered in one of these?

my i30 is approaching 6000km and I'm going to change the oil soon, but hyundai keep telling me I need the interim service.  So far as I can tell they just inspect things and do an oil change and charge me 200 dollars

Is there anything that necessary in there I can't do myself?

Cheers

PS yes I asked my dealer, they left me a message simply telling me to do it and it would cost 260 dollars but not what they will cover

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
The 7500 km service is optional and not really necessary unless you are using your car in what they call "adverse" conditions, which are described in the owners manual.
I opted to do the 7500 km service on mine because I wanted to change the initial oil and get some fresh, quality oil in there after it had been run-in, but then I did the servicing at 15,000 kms and thereafter at 15,000 km intervals.
Your choice, but other than oil & filter change, I can't really see the necessity IMO.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Just money for jam for the dealer  :fum:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline kabukiman

• 3rd Gear
  • apricot herder

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
yeah thought as much.  I'll do the oil myself

Cheers

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA

Cheers

IT is clearly stated on the handbook as intermediate/optional service. Just do the oil only (takes less than 30min).
And let the dealer change the filter/oil on the next major service. this is what I do....
  • 2010 i30 diesel SX auto

Offline kabukiman

• 3rd Gear
  • apricot herder

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria

Cheers

IT is clearly stated on the handbook as intermediate/optional service. Just do the oil only (takes less than 30min).
And let the dealer change the filter/oil on the next major service. this is what I do....

I know, I was asking if there was anything special about this service other than an oil change

I ended up doing it myself and I probably won't be having my car serviced at Hyundai anyway.  Major service every 15,000ks and an oil change every 7 and a half like hyundai suggest

fwiw I change the filter with the oil every time.  I don't suppose much harm would come of leaving a filter on but better safe than sorry.  They are only around ten bucks.

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA

Cheers

I know, I was asking if there was anything special about this service other than an oil change

I ended up doing it myself and I probably won't be having my car serviced at Hyundai anyway.  Major service every 15,000ks and an oil change every 7 and a half like hyundai suggest

fwiw I change the filter with the oil every time.  I don't suppose much harm would come of leaving a filter on but better safe than sorry.  They are only around ten bucks.

Yeah I was thinking of changing the filter too - But I need to buy a torque wrench - the filter cap is plastic and I will break it - however pip (The oils expert) said the filters can last the whole year round (15,000km).
  • 2010 i30 diesel SX auto

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
No need for a torque wrench for that, even though it can be handy to have many times.

Just fasten the oil filter cap with ease, like when fastening a spark plug.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Pip
.. however pip (The oils expert) said the filters can last the whole year round (15,000km).
Expert would be overstating it.  :undecided:

I based that on the simple logic that if 15,000km is the standard period for filter changes in Oz and even 20,000km elsewhere it should safely last that distance whether or not the oil is changed more often.

Changing more frequently IMO is unnecessary. The real life of a filter is quite possibly several times that. :undecided:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal