i30 Owners Club

2015 Hyundai i30 Series 2 Review: Better Than Before, But Just...

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

What’s Hot: Diesel engine and twin-clutch auto, enhanced spec.
What’s Not: Fidgety ride, 1.8 petrol is a little dull.
X-FACTOR: With feature lists and styling sharpened up for 2015, the i30 Series 2 continues to be one of Hyundai’s more appealing products.

Vehicle Style: 5-door small hatch
Price: $20,990 (Active 1.8 manual) to $34,490 (Premium 1.6 CRDi auto).

Engine/trans:
 107kW/175Nm 1.8 petrol 4cyl | 6sp manual / 6sp auto
 124kW/201Nm 2.0 petrol 4cyl | 6sp manual / 6sp auto
 100kW/260Nm (300Nm in auto) 1.6 turbo diesel 4cyl | 6sp manual / 7sp auto

Fuel Economy (claimed):
 1.8 litre petrol: 7.0 l/100km (manual), 7.3 l/100km (auto),
 2.0 litre petrol: 7.3 l/100km (manual), 7.7 l/100km (auto),
 1.6 litre diesel: 4.6 l/100km (manual), 4.9 l/100km (auto)

OVERVIEW

Now in the middle of its lifespan, Hyundai's popular i30 has been given a mild update to iron out the 'crows feet' and boost its showroom appeal, along with some mechanical updates aimed at reducing its emissions.

There have also been some changes to the range line-up. Gone is the i30 Elite, with the i30 ActiveX inserted as the new mid-grade model in the i30 family.

Unusually, there has also been a backwards step. In the search for better emissions performance, the i30’s petrol engines now have reduced power, torque and - marginally - fuel economy.

That may disappoint some.

We travelled to New South Wales to find out a little more about the new i30 Series 2, as well as drive them on some challenging Hunter Valley roads.

While there have been some definite improvements, the i30 still feels a little middle-aged.

THE INTERIOR 

•Reversing camera, reverse parking sensors, air conditioning, power windows, central locking, cruise control, trip computer (See our model info story for full specifications)
•Infotainment: 5-inch colour touchscreen with AM/FM tuner and internet audio streaming via Pandora. USB audio input plus Bluetooth phone and audio integration also standard. Six speakers.
•Luggage capacity: 378 litres minimum, 1316 litres maximum 

There’s now a neat five-inch colour touchscreen display in the Active and ActiveX, which, in a sign of the times, no longer features a CD player but can now stream audio over an internet-connected smartphone via the Pandora music app.

It also displays the video feed from the now-standard reversing camera. With reverse parking sensors also standard on every model, minor parking shunts should be a thing of the past.

The SR Premium and Premium diesel also gain heated and cooled front seats.

Other than that, you won't find too many changes inside the i30 Series 2.

SR and Premium models get satellite navigation and a seven-inch touchscreen (and its integrated CD player), the seats are the same, there’s a soft-touch dash and door trims, and fit and finish is about average for the segment.

The ActiveX sits nicely at mid-range spec level, thanks to its standard leather-appointed upholstery, alloy-look door handles leather-trimmed steering wheel and illuminated sunvisors.

Priced from $22,090, it’s compelling value.

Complaints? Well, the seat cushions aren’t especially comfortable for long periods behind the wheel, and cabin quality isn’t up to the standard of rivals like the VW Golf, Peugeot 308 and Mazda3.

ON THE ROAD 

•107kW/175Nm 1.6 petrol inline four | six-speed manual or six-speed auto
•124kW/201Nm 2.0 petrol inline four | six-speed manual or six-speed auto
•100kW/260Nm(300Nm in auto) 1.6 turbo diesel inline four | six-speed manual or seven-speed twin clutch auto
•Front wheel drive
•MacPherson strut front, torsion beam rear suspension
•Disc brakes all around.

While both the 1.8 litre and 2.0 litre petrol engines are physically unchanged, engine management tweaks make both motors fully Euro V emissions compliant. Those tweaks come at the expense of power and torque however.

The 1.8 litre petrol drops 3kW and 3Nm to 107kW/175Nm, while the 2.0 gets a 5kW and 8Nm reduction to rest at 124kW/201Nm.

Torque curves have been fattened up, but peak outputs are lower for both engines.

The diesel, however, undergoes a significant improvement. Power peaks at 100kW (6kW more than before), with peak torque staying at 260Nm for the manual-equipped model.

Spend an extra $2300 for the new seven-speed dual-clutch automatic though, and you get a full 300Nm of torque at your disposal.

The diesel auto is the one we started our day in, and though it’s a $25,890 proposition (before ORC) in base model Active form, it’s the one to get.

The diesel is quiet, smooth and pulls easily from low RPM. The twin-clutch automatic, meanwhile, is a great improvement on the last twin-clutch auto from Hyundai, which currently only sees service on the regular non-turbo Veloster.

The gearbox does have some clutch engagement jerkiness when moving off from a standstill and when crawling through traffic, but it’s not much worse than what you’ll experience in a VW Golf.

It’s not quite as quick with its gearchanges as a Golf’s DSG twin-clutch auto, though for a non-performance model that’s hardly something to complain about.

Petrol-engined i30s make do with a carry-over conventional six-speed auto.

Tyre noise and ride comfort on the Active’s standard 16-inch steel wheels is good, with only sharp corrugations imparting any kind of harshness.

Body roll is also well controlled, though the economy-biased tyres give up grip relatively easily.

The i30 SR is a much sharper tool. With its own unique suspension settings, 17-inch alloys and more performance-oriented rubber, it grips harder, is less-inclined to body-roll and steers better than the Active, ActiveX and Premium diesel.

Its 2.0 litre petrol engine is also much peppier than the 1.8 litre, which needs some coaxing and a shoeful of revs if you want to hustle it along.

The trade-off with the bigger alloys of the SR, is, of course, reduced ride comfort and more tyre noise. Neither is excessive, but those who value a quiet, fuss-free driving experience should take note.

SAFETY 

ANCAP rating: 5-Stars - this model scored 35.69 out of 37 possible points.

Safety features: Stability control, traction control, ABS, EBD and brake assist are all standard on the i30.

Occupant protection is provided by three-point seatbelts (pretensioning in the front), as well as seven airbags (front, front side, full-length curtain and driver’s knee).

TMR VERDICT | OVERALL 

At the lower end of the 2015 i30 range there’s plenty of good buying. For its balance of price versus specification, the new ActiveX is certainly compelling.

The reduced outputs of the petrol engines, though marginal, has not gone unnoticed on-road.

They may emit less CO2 now, but you have to wonder about the environmental gains given that average fuel economy figures - as quoted by the factory - are now slightly worse than before.

This is not something we tested at launch, so we'll have to hold judgment until we can put these cars through a longer 'real world' test.

The 2.0 litre SR and SR Premium have a certain amount of sporty charm, but for us we reckon the new diesel is the one to get.

This new i30 diesel drinks less and produces more while its optional seven-speed auto helps bring out its best.

We’ll spend a bit more time behind the wheel of the new i30 range in due course, but right now we’d recommend giving the 1.8-litre models a skip and instead check out the 2.0 petrol and 1.6 diesel variants.

They may cost more, but they’re better cars for it.

PRICING (excludes on-road costs)
•Active petrol manual - $20,990
•Active petrol auto - $23,290 (up $50)
 -
•Active diesel manual - $23,590
•Active diesel auto - $25,890 (up $50)
 -
•Active X petrol manual - $22,090 (new)
•Active X petrol auto - $24,390 (new)
 -
•Active X diesel manual - $24,690 (new)
•Active X diesel auto - $26,990 (new)
 -
•SR petrol manual - $25,590 (down $2400)
•SR petrol auto - $27,890 (down $2300)
 -
•SR Premium petrol manual - $30,590 (new)
•SR Premium petrol auto - $32,890 (new)
 -
•Premium diesel auto - $34,490 (up $1400)

Drive-away pricing special for April 2015
•Active petrol manual - $19,990
•Active petrol auto - $21,990
 -
•Active diesel manual - $23,990
•Active diesel auto - $25,990
 -
•Active X petrol manual - $21,490
•Active X petrol auto - $22,990
 -
•Active X diesel manual - $24,990
•Active X diesel auto - $26,990
 -
•Premium diesel auto - $33,990

Source: :link: Hyundai i30 Series 2 Review: 2015: Better Than Before, But Just...

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
The usual "not up to Golf standards" comment.   :rolleyes:
Having sampled a new Golf within the last few months, I have to disagree.
The cabin plastics are no better than Hyundai's and road noise, while quieter in the cabin, was noisy from the rear hatch area.
Combined with a flat spot just after take-off (it was a petrol auto), I couldn't wait to get back into my i30, other than the steering (but that is now fixed).
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I think motoring writers are like coffee snobs.
They can't bear to be seen to like anything out of the ordinary - or cheaper than the norm.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
hey Rusty thank's, that i30 is same model as my 95yo fathers he replaced a three year old Elantra with it, both had same motor, but the new I30 has rear view camera, he likes that but mentioned when sun hits screen its hard to view. when i drive it i use rear view & turn my head.
I can tell you first hand i could feel the new i30 drives better than the Elantra not a lot different but has a bit more go, but only have driven in Sydney but up hill's it has enough performance for Sydney . just petrol too thirsty for me! diesel economy leaves petrol by long way especially in the city. and Diesel pull's hills stronger, also when i used the Cruise control in the elantra 1.8 petrol auto on trip down coast ( sold it to friends wife & she asked me to bring it down as she is not confident driving in Sydney ) when i used the Cruise control in my 2011 6 speed manual CRDi it held 6th gear with ease up hill down hill just had no trouble pulling hill's. but the 1.8 petrol Auto constantly needed to shift back to low gear to get engine revs up on hill's made me feel 1.8 petrol not a good match with Cruise control. but was ok also needed more fuel on trip down coast than Diesel, it was doing 6.5L/100k to 7L & i was going steady as not my car, with Diesel driving steady like that i saw averages of 4.3L/100 to 4.5L/100 same road same driver same load.
375K distance of average.

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
The cabin plastics are no better than Hyundai's and road noise, while quieter in the cabin, was noisy from the rear hatch area.
I am inclined to agree with you. Although the Golf is a lovely car, it is very bland and not worth the price premium. And as you said there are issues with it as well. Car journo's tend to think that the Golf is the only hatch worth reporting on for some reason...

• 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I am inclined to agree with you. Although the Golf is a lovely car, it is very bland and not worth the price premium. And as you said there are issues with it as well. Car journo's tend to think that the Golf is the only hatch worth reporting on for some reason...

Bland is the word I would use as well.
But then I find BMWs and Audis bland as well.
Ive been a passenger recently in a new BMW 5 Series and a new Audi Q7.
Nice but no character.
Am I hard to please?  :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
It's all to do with loyalty to the EU IMO.

Can't have an Asian company making something better than the German's.

Well, I'm quite happy to pay less & get more, but those who don't want to, go ahead it's not MY money.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Audi :spitty:

We see so many A4's around here and each and every one drives worse than the last. Tailgating and speeding, most of them think they own the road. And don't get me stared on the VW Polo's...
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal