i30 Owners Club

AUTO REVIEW: 2015 HYUNDAI I30 (SERIES II)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
November 24, 2015
Written by Mark Holgate

IN what is probably a first for a seven day road test, we did all our driving, to and from Sydney from the NSW Central Coast on, wait for it, a single tank of fuel. Yes one 5oL tank of fuel got us all over the place for a whole incredible week, with about 101km left on the range gauge.

In our books, that borderline incredible, but with a fuel economy of around 4.9L/100km it’s hard not to love the 2015 Hyundai i30 (Series II), and what’s more it’s next year’s model too. You see Hyundai is out of sync with most of the car world, releasing many new models mid year, and making them 2015/2016 models.

Our test vehicle was the feature packed Premium edition of the diesel i30, a car loaded up on extras including an incredible amount of space, with leather appointed seats, heated front seats, auto-dim mirror, dual zone climate control, and even a chiller fan in the glove box.

Outside, the German designed hatch back features a panorama glass roof, automatic xenon headlights and LED front and rear lighting, a rear spoiler, and these funky lights called puddle lamps, so you can see at night (they sit underneath the side mirrors and come on automatically when the key approaches). You’ll also find key-less entry and push button start on this model.

Driven by a 100kW high output motor, punching out 300Nm of torque, and butted up against a seamless, dual clutch seven speed automatic gearbox, the i30 Premium is a genuine nice drive, that performs well under pressure, chirps the wheels when you put your foot through the floor and has plenty of grunt when you need it. Oh, and there’s multiple steering modes too.

The car really looks good at the kerbside, with the new open face grille inspired by the Genesis and the Sonata, the cabin is nice inside too, not much of a change from the previous model, but the Premium does come with a 7.0″ touch screen satellite navigation system with CD player, MP3 capability, 6 speakers & 3 years worth of map updates.

On the downside, there are a few things that hurt the car overall, but nothing ground breaking. The seats are average in terms of comfort, and the headlights are less than awesome even with high beam belting on the back roads of the Central Coast.

There’s an abundance of plastic, but that’s the standard for most cars in this price range. The Bluetooth is good too, although we had trouble with syncing between an iPhone 6 Plus and the sound system, particularly with fade in and fade out. It worked fine with a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 – the likely cause is Apple’s software as known issues have been highlighted with iOS 8 and 9.

With a five star ANCAP safety rating, seven air bags, traction control, electronic stability control, and the usual brake assist systems, along with a very clear reversing camera and rear parking sensors, the Hyundai i30 Premium is a safe family car, that’s economical to boot.

It comes in Phantom Black, Fiery Red (as tested), Marina Blue, Polar White, Platinum Silver, Sparkling Metal and Dazzling Blue. It hits the market at $34,4900 plus on-roads, but, at the moment it can be picked up for a might over $31,485 as part of Hyundai’s current offers. It comes with a five year unlimited kilometre warranty too.

Our test vehicle was provided by Hyundai Australia. To find out more about the 2015 Hyundai i30 Series II (diesel), contact your local Hyundai dealer.

Source: :link: Auto Review: 2015 Hyundai i30 (Series II) | Exhaust Notes Australia

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
Thanks Senor' Rusty, looks a very nice motor indeed, but tell Mr Kim, CEO Hyundai the price of the new i30 @ $31485 is over the top.  I just bought the boss a 2016 Accent, 6 speed Auto, Veloster red for $15990. So is the the i30 worth twice that. What say ye?  :crazy1:  I would have thought $26,000 would have been a fair price when one can buy the current manual  i30 on runout for $19900 if one shops around. :crazy2:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
What a great name for a colour.  :)
Dazzling Blue
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
Dazzling Blue

Hi Doggie...What? The veloster red of the boss's Accent in my avatar?  OR the fiery red, over priced series III i30 ? :head_knock:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Senor' Rusty, looks a very nice motor indeed, but tell Mr Kim, CEO Hyundai the price of the new i30 @ $31485 is over the top.  I just bought the boss a 2016 Accent, 6 speed Auto, Veloster red for $15990. So is the the i30 worth twice that. What say ye?  :crazy1:  I would have thought $26,000 would have been a fair price when one can buy the current manual  i30 on runout for $19900 if one shops around. :crazy2:
$31,500 is not actually that bad for the top model Diesel with all the bells and whistles. The Diesel adds about 3k and the Dual clutch trans another 2.5k then there is the upraded interior, glass roof, bigger wheels and extra tech.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Dazzling Blue

Hi Doggie...What? The veloster red of the boss's Accent in my avatar?  OR the fiery red, over priced series III i30 ? :head_knock:

The Dazzling Blue mentioned above.   ;)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I think you're comparing the top of the range diesel i30 to the base model petrol Accent :undecided: the turbo diesels have always been about 10k dearer.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
I want an SR Premium Manual.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Sorry but its a Active X for you.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Sorry but its a Active X for you.

Yep.
Which is why I'll stick with Jean.   :)
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal