TCM (Transmission Control Module) location

RossO · 8 · 6887

Offline RossO

• 1st Gear

• il Israel
      IL
Hey

I own an I30, 2009 Automatic.
anyone know where is the TCM (Transmission Control Module) location?
and how much time does it take to replace it?

thanks!

• I30 2009 Automatic

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hey

I own an I30, 2009 Automatic.
anyone know where is the TCM (Transmission Control Module) location?
and how much time does it take to replace it?

thanks!

This could be a @cruiserfied question. Any more clues to your vehicle specs?  I have DF4B CRDi and it has a TCM tucked away up in th e pedal box area(RHD)

But I'm looking and I could be wrong but the petrol may have it incorporated in the ECU. Not an easy item to locate in the publications I'm in except to say if I enter my cars details TCM comes up as a main item to select.

Looking at Middle East models and I'm struggling to see it.

What nakes you think you need to find this part?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline RossO

• 1st Gear

• il Israel
      IL
The car is petrol automatic 2009 made in korea.

I have a gear issue and the garage like to replace the TCM.

I wanted to know how complicated is the replacment and I also wanted to mark the TCM before i go to the garage, to check them for replacing it.
  • I30 2009 Automatic

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
The car is petrol automatic 2009 made in korea.

I have a gear issue and the garage like to replace the TCM.

I wanted to know how complicated is the replacment and I also wanted to mark the TCM before i go to the garage, to check them for replacing it.
well I'd give a hyundai dealer a call first.  Also what symptoms because these do have valve body issues which can cause gear issues. I don't think these have a separate tcm

Offline RossO

• 1st Gear

• il Israel
      IL
The symptoms now are:
after 10-15 minutes of driving, shifting between 2-3 gears (at relativly high RPM) is jumping.
the gear is jumping like that:  2->3->2->3.
Its only occurs after 10-15 minutes of driving, and only in high RPM.

This gear just finished mechanical fix from transmission garage, the problem before that fix was very close to this:
after 10-15 minutes of driving, shifting between 2-3 gears (at relativly high RPM) is jumping to NEUTRAL and stay on neutral.
It occured only after 10-15 minutes of driving.

They claim that the problem has to be from the TCM or the cables.
  • I30 2009 Automatic

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
The symptoms now are:
after 10-15 minutes of driving, shifting between 2-3 gears (at relativly high RPM) is jumping.
the gear is jumping like that:  2->3->2->3.
Its only occurs after 10-15 minutes of driving, and only in high RPM.

This gear just finished mechanical fix from transmission garage, the problem before that fix was very close to this:
after 10-15 minutes of driving, shifting between 2-3 gears (at relativly high RPM) is jumping to NEUTRAL and stay on neutral.
It occured only after 10-15 minutes of driving.

They claim that the problem has to be from the TCM or the cables.

Far from being an expert but I'm just a little skeptical. I think you'd need a diagnostic that can command the shift solenoids or at least read what command is sent from the TCM and or what the solenoids is doing.  That and line pressures.

Translation may be losing some detail but sounds like you're saying the problem existed, box out and mechanical fix but still similar issue?

What did they fix?

Can't say I 've read much in the way of reported bad TCMs in this forum, but valve bodies yes and that you tube video of cracked solders.

I'd hate to be replacing the computer and still have the same issues.

When someone says it has to be, sounds like a partial guess.

DIfferent to someone saying it is this because , and then they lay out the fault finding steps that prove it is.

If it was misbehaving before and they have stripped and reassembled and the fault is different even though it's still faulty would that not suggest that the disturbance internally to the box has caused a change and therefor the issue is more likely internal?

If a computer had a fault due to electronic controls and was the original fault then I would expect the same fault to  be present.

But it's not.

Sorry I've added more doubt and not answered your question I just think the computers in these a more than likely pretty robust

Offline RossO

• 1st Gear

• il Israel
      IL
By the way,
There are no fault codes at all.
I switched the input and output sensors to new OEM ones.
They also replaced the gears "brain" twice, (the brain is the part showed in your youtube video)
Problem still exist.

The problem occurs only after 10-15 minutes driving. It has to be something thermal
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 18:11:07 by RossO »
  • I30 2009 Automatic

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
By the way,
There are no fault codes at all.
I switched the input and output sensors to new OEM ones.
They also replaced the gears "brain" twice, (the brain is the part showed in your youtube video)
Problem still exist.

The problem occurs only after 10-15 minutes driving. It has to be something thermal
If you are talking about input/output shaft speed sensors if they had failed you'd have code and the  box with gne into limp. I've the displeasure of having both fail. End up with 2,3 gear selection and only with manual shift.
Knowing they've swapped out the Valve Body changes that then.

Harness or TCM left I guess and if it's inside the ECU then that's in the engine bay

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal