i30 Owners Club

I30n - what colour?

Offline Smokeyr67

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
As I may have mentioned, I'm going to buy an I 30 n when they actually exist, but I'm a bit useless when it comes to colours.

There are 6 different colours;

Polar white - good in the heat, but a white car? It's a bit bland
Clean slate - mattish light primerish grey, not my favorite
Micron Gray - mid to dark metallic gray, nice and doesn't scream hot hatch.
Phantom Black - hot in summer, hard to keep clean, same colour as my ute.
Engine Red - naaah, not for me
Performance Blue - it seems too light in some photo's, a bit like a 70's safari suit.

So, from that I'm considering 2 colours, Micron Gray or Performance Blue.

What would you think of the performance blue with some graphics (vinyl) that match the reddish orange highlights on the lower splitter? Nothing too ostentatious, maybe "Cobra" type racing stripes, or just pinstripes?

I know this is a bit of a "do my shoes go with this dress" type question, but I'm really struggling with this decision so your opinion will be welcome :)

Shane
  • IO 30 N

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'd need to see all the colours against one another for myself to decide, not sure about the graphics...sometimes graphics don't look to bad and other times they should have remained in the 70's :lol:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
When you have a hot hatch do you really need to scream it? To either the boys in blue or the carpark jealous fool who might run a key along it.

Make people look twice before they see what you have black/dark grey would be my choices.

The light blue looks like the old police car colour to me
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Fair question, Shane. I'd go the Micron Grey.
Does your bum look big in it?  :undecided:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach
Black.
  • 2017 Active PD 2.0, Manual, Black

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Performance Blue is brilliant.
Micron Grey is alright.
Phantom Black is always good.

Those 3 i have seen in person.

Have you put a deposit down yet? Dont delay, numbers are limited.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Shane,

I'd go the iconic performance blue and live without the decals to start with. I don't think you'll need them. White would be my 2nd choice. :goodjob:

Not a fan of grey. Dangerous colour. Particularly at dawn or dusk.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
White with a go faster stripe down it
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Pommie5037

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      SE Queensland
I Would be going performance blue every day of the week, when I was driving them at lakeside I couldn't keep my eyes off that colour  :lol:

If you haven't got a deposit on one I would be jumping onto it as there isn't many around. we tried to get one for our dealership but were told we could only get one if we have an order from a customer for it  :'(

If I hadn't just bought my SR (and they came in DCT to keep the Mrs happy) I would be getting one myself. they are worth every penny.   :goodjob2:
  • 2017 PD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6ltr Turbo SR White

Offline Smokeyr67

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I've seen the red, it's not the usual wishy washy red, so it's back on the table :)

• IO 30 N

Offline Smokeyr67

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I put down a deposit last year, about July from memory, but I need to drive it before I buy it:)
  • IO 30 N

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I would definitely choose white. (But not the go faster stripe - that's naff)

Practical, less cost (in the UK) easy to touch up stone chips and best colour for hot climates.

The real pleasure of a car for me is not what others see - but the driving experience I get. The colour of a car adds zero to the driving experience.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I don't think I like the performance (baby) blue, micron grey isn't bad but still quite dark so it'll attract heat and show dirt the same as black would, white is quite plain but may look nice with some dark tinting, red isn't bad and I don't mind clean slate either...not as plain as white and will also look great with dark tinting.

Offline Smokeyr67

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
The more I look at the pics of the red, the more I like it - it's strong and bold, the dark trim provides contrast and I think it's time for me to be the fat hairy old man in the flash car that all the P platers laugh at but secretly envy :)

I do like the Storm Grey though, it's classy and more of a "sleeper colour".

Decisions, decisions
  • IO 30 N

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Mrs G is on the hunt for a Premium SR in the silver. :happydance:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Mrs G is on the hunt for a Premium SR in the silver. :happydance:

:mrgreen: :happydance: :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline Smokeyr67

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Well, I've gone and done it, I've ordered the 30N in red.

Not sure when it'll arrive, 3 months is the current estimate so I'll have plenty of time to annoy everyone in here with questions about paint protection, dash cams and the like so if I get too annoying, don't be afraid to tell me to shut up :)

I have to say that after all the glowing reviews of the car on the net, I was prepared to be a bit underwhelmed, but all I can say is WOW!!! It's quick, very quick handles like a go cart and the engine isn't just a peaky little buzz box, it's extremely tractable - in 4th on a reasonable hill I gentle pressed the go pedal and rocketed from 60 to 100 in the blink of an eye. Cornering is fun but uneventful, I tried hard to unsettle it but no matter how poorly I drove it, it took my abuse with aplomb and just kept on sticking to the line.

I was expecting the interior to look cheap and nasty (that's the criticism that stuck with me from the reviews), but it looks great to me. Maybe for those that wan't to put LED's under the car and have flouro pink seat bolsters or seats that would make a Scotsmans heart yearn for home it's a bit monotone, but for those of us with taste it's understatedly perfect.

Did I mention that it's quick? So quick that I'm going to have to be really careful if I want to keep my licence :)

Shane
  • IO 30 N

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Great feedback from one of "us" Shane.  :cool: Congrats on doing the deed.  :victory:

Overall I'm happy with my red SR.  :happydance:

I've heard on the grapevine about a week ago (not from my usual sources) that 6 are coming to Tassie of which 3 are sold. They are expected in early June. Scarce little buggers, aren't they!  :crazy1:

Don't know if I'll be offered a test drive (I think I should be)  :whistler:

With regards to paint protection I personally wouldn't pay to have it done when there are plenty of great apply yourself options at a fraction of the cost. I use Chem guys Jetseal 109, but there may be better products if you want to spend a bit more.

There are plenty of threads on here about dash cams although nothing real recent so there are probably newer, better models out there now.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Congratulations Shane, lots of sleepless nights until it arrives but will be well worth it by the sounds of it.   :happydance: PS love the red, certainly suits the N. :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@Smokeyr67  if you want the best paint protection I can highly recommend Opti-Coat Pro+ :link: Opti-Coat Pro Coatings Australia | Opti-Coat Australia it isn't cheap but at couple of hundred $ dearer than the dealer rubbish it'll last a lifetime.
Wash as normal with Optimum car wash, and dry with Optimum instant detailer & gloss enhancer and it'll look like glass for ever :) the reason I suggest using Optimum products is it's developed by the same chemist who made Opti-Coat and also the modern clear coat used on cars today.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
The N we saw at the dealer today was the old SA Police baby blue.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The N we saw at the dealer today was the old SA Police baby blue.

That would be the Iconic N colour. Performance Blue.  :goodjob:

Offline Smokeyr67

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
@Smokeyr67  if you want the best paint protection I can highly recommend Opti-Coat Pro+ :link: Opti-Coat Pro Coatings Australia | Opti-Coat Australia it isn't cheap but at couple of hundred $ dearer than the dealer rubbish it'll last a lifetime.
Wash as normal with Optimum car wash, and dry with Optimum instant detailer & gloss enhancer and it'll look like glass for ever :) the reason I suggest using Optimum products is it's developed by the same chemist who made Opti-Coat and also the modern clear coat used on cars today.

I plan on getting it opti coated, but it seems that the installers close to me don't have access to email, either that or their too busy working on Porkers, Fazza's Mazza's and Lambos to bother with a Hyundai guy like me :)

The dealer tried to flog me some other type of paint protection, some fancy leather scotch guarding, wheel protection and window tinting (for a car that is already nicely tinted) for the bargain price of just below 3 grand. And she wouldn't even by me dinner first!

Gonz, I imagine it the performance blue would go nicely with the RAAF poly shirt, so I can see it being very popular with the young Adgies coming back cashed up from their latest deployment, especially now that they can't go out and by a Monaro or Malloo as soon as they get home (Back when I where a young Soldier, Holden used to have a couple of salesmen prowling arrivals at Townsville airport when they knew a unit was due in - apparently they did a roaring trade)

The dealer I went to have a bit of a problem, there's so few cars available they have to share demo cars! Luckily the one they had was in red, so I could see it in the flesh before signing, wish they had the performance blue there so I could see what it really looks like (on the net and in mags it's a bit chameleonic (I think I just invented that word), sometimes a nice light blue, other times a wishy washy slightly blueish grey. Hopefully I'll see a few over the next few years and just maybe I'll update to a blue one with the DSG box, but thats a loooong way off.

Shane
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 20:35:06 by Smokeyr67 »
  • IO 30 N

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal