i30 Owners Club

First impressions: 2010 FD 1.6 CRDI Comfort

Offline Burger28

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Gloucestershire, UK
I have to say I'm really impressed...and this is coming from someone who's had a Peugeot RCZ and Renault Laguna Coupé GT 180 in the past few years! I prefer the way it drives over both. To me it feels like I have a better idea of what levels of grip are available which I've not had recently in a car I've owned. I was actually getting worried that no modern car would give this sort of driving experience seeing as the steering feel seems to get more and more disjointed over time.

As for performance it's definitely not as fast as the GT 180 (which I had mapped to 210bhp), which isn't a surprise, but the usable power is so much more accessible than the RCZ that it actually FEELS faster. I may go for a performance chip soon to perk it up a little more.

I have to admit the RCZ and especially the Laguna have excellent brakes, but the i30 certainly isn't so far behind that I feel that I need to do anything about it. They were recently changed by the previous owner so I've got no reason to upgrade just yet.

Equipment levels are a bit lower than I've gotten used to, but I'll learn to live without climate control and parking sensors again I'm sure. With the roads as busy as they are nowadays I doubt I'll miss cruise control much.

Overall I'm happy with my purchase so far. It's definitely a bit of a break away from what I'm used to, but how it drives is a welcome surprise and I'm looking forward to making a couple of tweaks. It's early days and has it's service booked in for next Thursday so we'll see how that goes first. Fingers crossed.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 09:32:28 by Burger28 »
  • 2010 FD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6lt, Manual, Silver

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Great! We love these sorts of posts.  :happydance:

This forum got its initial momentum from the impressive torque of that awesome little 1.6 Diesel.

I think the reassuring "big car" on road feel of the i30 and the quirky character of the car have also added to it's appeal.

We've had 4 over 10 years as per my signature pictures and loved them all in different ways.  :cool:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Thanks, Daniel, that's a great review.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I'm still undecided, I think I need another one :rolleyes:

Maybe it's the colour :faint:

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

:spitty: :spitty: :spitty:  Lawless Ipswich  :foottap: HOW ABOUT GETTING NUMBER PLATES, we need the revenue.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

:spitty: :spitty: :spitty:  Lawless Ipswich  :foottap: HOW ABOUT GETTING NUMBER PLATES, we need the revenue.

you're kidding.  7 months late . This is a bloody stitch up.  :wacko:

Anyone gotta wide angle I can borrow.

Need to squeeze number 4 in.

:snigger:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
@Burger28
As you can see, my Techie comrade has an FD diesel fetish.  :twisted: We both have had a lot to do with them over the last few years.

I repeat one of the best testimonials for this model. A guy who is contracted to tow roadside breakdown cars for our RACQ (= British AA) wanted to buy a Hyundai FD  CRDi for his wife, because they are the only car that he never has to  tow.

The GD also has a great reputation, although the ones with DCT drive train may not last long enough to make it to classic status.

I  also remain wary of  the new PD with DCT, and or, turbo petrol motor; this may be quite unfounded because they perform well; but currently, a few glitches and Hyundai's poor appalling customer service jeopardises  the brand's reputation.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal