i30 Owners Club

Improving the quality of the reverse camera at night

KEV248 · 15 · 5428

Offline KEV248

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      New South Wales

No problems.  Yes, low beam are H7.  :goodjob2:

Awesome thanks man!! Im looking into a few options. The car is actually my fiances car! First thing i did when we got it was do the K&N filter lol

She wants the whiter headlights, i know invision (phillips) do a LED replacement which isnt too bad!

I wasn't brave enough to go with LED headlight Globes, but did upgrade the reversing globes to LED to improve the reversing camera image at night.

I hardly drive at night so $60 odd to upgrade all four headlight globes was all I decided to do.  :goodjob:

They are a great little car.  :victory:

Yes i want to improve the quality of the reverse camera at night, its terrible! What globes did u use?
  • 2017 Hyundai i30 SR 1.6T Manual

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yes i want to improve the quality of the reverse camera at night, its terrible! What globes did u use?
Kev, T15 are the reverse bulb type, you'll get great results with these, Classiccarleds have good bulbs which this base shape provide a more stable fit :link: W16W T15 955 921 CANBUS 30 SMD LED ERROR FREE FOG REVERSE STOP BRAKE L ? Classic Car LEDs
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 10:01:06 by CraigB »

Offline lil_weg

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Picked up some led reverse bulbs as suggested, the difference at night is very much worth the small effort to swap!  Pictures speak for themselves

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• 2018 I30 SR

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yeah you can tell the drivers side is the one changed, much brighter :goodjob:

Offline Pappy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Sydney
Thanks guys for the information regarding the reversing LEDs.

Have now replaced mine and can confirm definitely worth the change!
  • MY18 PD SR Premium (Polar White)

Offline Pappy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Sydney
Thanks guys for the information regarding the reversing LEDs.

Have now replaced mine and can confirm definitely worth the change!

Just a further update, since replacing these LEDs, whenever the car's lights are on & I go into reverse, the DAB audio cuts out, as soon as I go back into Drive the DAB audio resumes. FM & USB media are not affected and continue to be heard when reversing with the lights on. I actually don't mind this new found feature, silences the radio when reversing (only works when the lights are on though).  :)
  • MY18 PD SR Premium (Polar White)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :lol: DAB being digital, the electrical noise generated by your reversing cam cable is interfering with intelligible bits of data received. I get the same problem when I decide to wirelessly charge my phone too close to the TV set at home. Better shielding / earthing will fix that but if you like it, go for it.  :lol:
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 07:00:45 by The Gonz »
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Stumbled across this thread while browsing.  Excellent find.  Thank you guys. 

I too would like to improve the lighting for the reversing camera on my 2018 i30 SR.  IMO, it's adequate but I'd like it better if possible.

Noting CraigB's comment (above) that he thought the units from Classic Car LEDS  (UK) provided a better base fit, I placed my order with them tonight.  Hope to get them by say, mid-January.

MY question is...how easy is it to DIY-fit these LEDS to my car, or is it a job best left to a Hyundai-experienced auto electrician or workshop?

I have tools.  I have a modicum of experience playing-with-cars (but not a fan of electrical/electronics).  I do not have a workshop manual to lead me by the hand. 

Which also leads me to ask, just where does one get a Haynes-type car manual for my model? 

• 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Hi, Terry. I dismantled one of the rear lamp clusters in order to tap reversing voltage to signal the reversing camera to turn on. Easy if you take care to explore how not to crack plastic or scratch paintwork.  :goodjob:

No idea about Haynes manuals - they were good for my ‘73 Kingswood but lacked a lot in later years.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
MY question is...how easy is it to DIY-fit these LEDS to my car

It is pretty straight forward task to do Terry.  I bought the LED as CraigB recommendation, and replaced the bulbs myself.  Reversing now is so much better.  No more grainy pictures, all you need are the flat head / phillips head screw driver.
  • 2018 PD2 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6T, DCT, White, I30 SR Premium

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Stumbled across this thread while browsing.  Excellent find.  Thank you guys. 

I too would like to improve the lighting for the reversing camera on my 2018 i30 SR.  IMO, it's adequate but I'd like it better if possible.

Noting CraigB's comment (above) that he thought the units from Classic Car LEDS  (UK) provided a better base fit, I placed my order with them tonight.  Hope to get them by say, mid-January.

MY question is...how easy is it to DIY-fit these LEDS to my car, or is it a job best left to a Hyundai-experienced auto electrician or workshop?

I have tools.  I have a modicum of experience playing-with-cars (but not a fan of electrical/electronics).  I do not have a workshop manual to lead me by the hand. 

Which also leads me to ask, just where does one get a Haynes-type car manual for my model?
Those bulbs should be good :goodjob2: the one's I'm currently using are these :link: 2PCS 12V 24V 60W LED CREE T15 W16W Car Reverse Turn Signal Backup Light bulb | eBay

Fitment is easy, I've got a GD model though I'd expect the fitment to be similar on the PD :undecided: open the hatch and there should be a removable plastic service panel behind each of the tailgate lenses where the reverse lights will be mounted.

Simple twist to remove bulb socket from housing then pull the bulbs straight out and replace with the new one's and refit, test the reverse lights work correctly before replacing the sockets, if they don't light up flip the bulb around 180 degrees.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :whsaid:

There won't be a Haynes-type manual for a long time, if ever I wouldn't think. Reason being there are a lot less owner serviceable parts in modern cars. If anything electronic goes wrong even the dealerships struggle to identify and fix it. On the other hand things like brakes and things are very similar between brands these days as most are sourced from the same suppliers. I think the Series 1 (FD) and maybe the Series 2 (GD) have DVD based or downloadable manuals available online but only a few members have been able to get them working correctly by my understanding.  :undecided:

Long warranties also tend to negate or reduce the need for DIY manuals in the short term.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Guys, thank you all for your replies, appreciate it.

This will be much easier to do than I imagined.  I basically followed CraigB.   

For anyone shy about doing this job (like I was), here's a 1-2-3 guide, with some photos:

1. Open hatch/boot lid.
2. Gently prise open the service access panel on back of hatch lid (for one side).
3. Gently twist/turn the black bulb carrier and pull out.
4. Remove old bulb and replace with LED light.*
5. Do same for other side of car.*

*Yet to do. Waiting on my LEDs to arrive before I can put theory into practise.

A bit embarrassed to admit that with a hay fever-addled brain I had though the whole rear taillight assembly had to be removed.  So the first photo below is simply to locate where we are working.  :)

« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 06:25:58 by TerryT »

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
:whsaid:

There won't be a Haynes-type manual for a long time, if ever I wouldn't think. Reason being there are a lot less owner serviceable parts in modern cars. If anything electronic goes wrong even the dealerships struggle to identify and fix it. On the other hand things like brakes and things are very similar between brands these days as most are sourced from the same suppliers. I think the Series 1 (FD) and maybe the Series 2 (GD) have DVD based or downloadable manuals available online but only a few members have been able to get them working correctly by my understanding.  :undecided:

Long warranties also tend to negate or reduce the need for DIY manuals in the short term.

Understand...but still don't like it.  ;)   Looks like the workshop manual has gone the way of the Dodo.

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
MY question is...how easy is it to DIY-fit these LEDS to my car

It is pretty straight forward task to do Terry.  I bought the LED as CraigB recommendation, and replaced the bulbs myself.  Reversing now is so much better.  No more grainy pictures, all you need are the flat head / phillips head screw driver.

Hoping to get the same happy result as you with the UK LEDs because the grainy reverse camera lighting and the space saver tyre were two grizzles I had with car.  Have fixed the spare wheel issue, now for the lights.  :)

Toyed with the idea of buying the Premium but it  came down to the dollars.   

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal