i30 Owners Club

Active smart sense price?

NotaN · 17 · 4111

Offline NotaN

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Hi all, my wife owns a PD SR Premium  and her mother realy lkes it. I have the task of getting the mother in law a new car and have short listed 3. The new Kia Cerato sport+ at a retail of $28272 that is essentially an i30 under the skin only cheaper and better equiped but bigger. The second car is a Holden Astra RSV that is comparable with an SR Premium only no sunroof  but it does park itself and is retailing at only $29500 and finaly an i30 Active with smart sense that retails at $29215 but is low spec compared to the other 2. The Cerato wins with it's 7 year warranty and good spec but is a bit harder for her to drive as it is bigger in the rear than i30 or Astra. I'm willing to buy tomorrow if we get a decent deal but what is a great deal on the i30 is $26000 achievable?
  • I30 SR Premium PD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If mother in law likes the premium i30 I’d stay safe and grab her one of those  :)

You’ve also got the new N-Line which replaces the SR.

The KIA may have some engine similarities though generally KIA uses a de-tuned version of what Hyundai is running ( KIA Cerato sport 112kw - I30 Active 120kw ) and Hyundai run a superior chassis and setup...especially in SR and all versions of the new N-Line. 

I’ve alway felt the Hyundai’s had better ergonomics and visually better interiors.

N-Line base manual $26490 - Auto $29490, Premium Auto with sunroof and LED headlights $34490

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
There are a couple of Elites and a SR (in orange)  in Victoria for $27,770 which would be worth a look.

Looking at Carsales there is a new one for $26490 and a couple of demos around the 25k but again, why pay $26500 when for a bit over 1k more you could have one of the above?

If I had to have the safety goodies I would be looking at going up in spec, rather than getting a lower spec car and optioning it up, price would always be the consideration here.

Also given the car is for your Mother in Law, have you considered something like the Kona, might be a little easier to get in and out of as she loses some mobility?
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline NotaN

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
She has decided  on  an i30 and wants leather so an Elite it will be.  I think the Elite is the most suitable variant with the standard 6 speed auto and 2.0L engine as I don't think ghe DCT gearbox would suit her and the  non turbo engine servive intervals are at 12 months or 15k jot and 10k like the turbo. The retail  price listed on the website is  $31782 for a polar white Elite so tomorrow I will order one for her from whoever I can get the best deal from, she has given me a 30k budget so it will be a challenge to se how much change I can get for her.
  • I30 SR Premium PD

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
On of the 27,700k elites on carsales is polar white from memory.

Offline NotaN

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
I bought a demo well not really a demo more like a January registered car with 6km on the clock for $27990  including  headlight & bonnet protectors, floor mats and window tint. It is a white i30 Elite. I have bought many cars over the years for myself and others and have to say Hyundai dealers are the hardest to bargain with. There were 4 cars in Victoria at about the same price the others are a grey Elite for $27,880 registered on 25 January with an advertised 5km on the clock that is a great price. Another grey car at $27888 but with 5800km on it and registered 08/10/18 and a red one at $27888 also registered 08/10/18 and with 4300 on the clock. The 2 best value ones are the 2019 registered vehicles as they were only registered to falsify figures and not to be used as actual demos. I would have liked to pay a little less but my mother in law is over rhe moon and has come in 2k under budget.

• I30 SR Premium PD

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Good work !! , and the BEST bit is the Browny Points from MIL   :goodjob:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :whsaid:

Only 4! I thought @beerman was exaggerating when he said there was 27,700,000 of them! ...

One of the 27,700k elites on carsales is polar white from memory.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Leave out one dollar sign....

Given the Elite is listed at around 34k I wouldn't expect the dealer to haggle too much when they have one listed at under 28k

Main thing is the MIL is happy....

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach
do all the actives have smart sense ?
  • 2017 Active PD 2.0, Manual, Black

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
It is an option you can get Active or Active with SmartSense.

From my brief look on carsales there are not many with SmartSense, so you would more than likley have to order one. This usually restricts your ability to do a deal.

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach
Thanks Beerman.. Just had a look round the Hyundai website..... that smart sense is an expensive option !!

Offline NotaN

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
The dealer said smart sense is not an option picked by many. I personally would not buy a new car without this tech and it will be mandated shortly that all new cars sold in Australia must have AEB.  Unfortunately the i30 doesn't represent great value for people that want safety as yes it is an expensive option.
  • I30 SR Premium PD

Offline Cookie Thumper

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Valla Beach
The dealer said smart sense is not an option picked by many. I personally would not buy a new car without this tech and it will be mandated shortly that all new cars sold in Australia must have AEB.  Unfortunately the i30 doesn't represent great value for people that want safety as yes it is an expensive option.

I think it should be mandated compulsory driver testing every few years rather than mandate gadgets that mask people poor driving skills.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Funny thing is that people then tend to drive more agressively thinking that the technology will save them.

Same thing happened with ABS. In a study where all cars were fitted with ABS, but only 50% of the drivers were told it was fitted the 50% who didn't know it was there had less prangs. People tend to think they can drive like a bat out of hell and the computer will get them out of their mistakes when the brown stuff hits the fan blades.  This is why you don't see insurance discounts for having the latest and greatest in accident avoiding gadgets.  Also why the road toll has stabalised because the safety has moved from passive (airbags, cars engineered to crash etc) to active safety.

Much easier and cheaper to allow sufficient distance between the car in front and watch the road ahead.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I'll have to meet you one day mate. You do some great posts!  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline NotaN

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Some people may drive foolishly thinking the tech will keep them safe but I love this kind of technology and think it's great. I'm sure it's saved many in times of intention.  My mother in law wanted a new Honda Jazz as she is currently driving one but I convinced her to buy a car with all the latest safety tech in it because like the vast majority of people out there she is a shit driver although she thinks she is a great driver but the battle scars all over her jazz tell a different story.
  • I30 SR Premium PD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal