i30 Owners Club

Headlining the BBC news: Extra appears in 1928 Chaplin film using a mobile phone

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I checked this out time after time after time, and I'm stumped.

An extra in a 1928 film, made by Charlie Chaplin, appears to be using a mobile phone.

News story

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
If she was a timetraveller, and had gone back in time, she would, alas have found no signal coverage. It is therefore far more likely she is using her communicator to talk to The Enterprise.

My take would be she's shy, aware of, and hiding from the camera, there is a sly sideways glance at the lens towards the end of the clip, possibly when she says "am I off that goddam thing yet".

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Thousands of opinions.

Hundreds of scientists.

One Lorian.

Problem solved :lol: :P

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I thought it is pretty obvious  :rolleyes:

It must be a "phony" video.. :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
whats to say that somebody hasn't added that to the old footage to be a smart a$$, yet another conspiracy theory.  :rolleyes: :eek:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
whats to say that somebody hasn't added that to the old footage to be a smart a$$, yet another conspiracy theory.  :rolleyes: :eek:

You might be right. They did catch up with her recently and asked her if she'd been 'planted' as an after-thought.

She didn't say much tho...

(click to show/hide)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
that answers that theory then.  :eek:   the footage needs a WTF tag added to it.  :wink:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Ive been thinking about the footage most of the day,what you think your seeing,isn't what your seeing. if that makes any sense.  :idea:  I'm sure shes hiding from the camera like mentioned above.  :wink:   

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti
Just a wiki search:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-way_radio#Two-way_radio_frequencies

"The first truly mobile two-way radio was developed in Australia in 1923 by Senior Constable Frederick William Downie of the Victorian Police. The Victoria Police were the first in the world to use wireless communication in cars, putting an end to the inefficient status reports via public telephone boxes which had been used until that time. The first sets took up the entire back seat of the Lancia patrol cars"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walkie-talkie
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_J._Gross
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_L._Hings

"Radio engineer Alfred J. Gross also worked on the early technology behind the walkie-talkie between 1934 and 1941, and is sometimes credited with inventing it. Gross had developed and tested a small portable high-frequency radio with two-way communications features which he dubbed a "walkie-talkie"

1923??
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
LOL a blast from the past!!

if you go to the citizens band page, the very first picture on there is of a uniden washington base station!!!! hahaha i have one, but mine has been modified to hvae extra channels! where the "phone" socket is, there is a 3 way switch!

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
At that time there was a chain of thought that Charlie Chaplin was in fact a Russian spy, and the CIA were present pretty much wherever he went and whatever he did.
Mobile phone technology as we know it of course didn't eventuate until much later in the century, however, the basic technology was there from the early 1920's (pretty much in the same way that the internet was initially designed for, and used by, U.S. military intelligence).
There have been reports that there were cover-ups at the highest levels of government for many decades as the U.S. secret service (and many think the Russian equivalents) both used and advanced this technology to a high level to serve their individual purposes. They put man into outer space some forty years later, so it is reasonable to assume that they had this basic wireless telecommunications medium decades earlier, and were in fact using it.
Professor Von Herron from the Washington D.C. University of Political Science long ago revealed that wireless telecommunications were in existence in the early part of the twentieth century, and were used by the world's super powers to their advantage, and only when the "use-by-date" of that technolgy had been reached, was it made available to the wider community and mankind in general, as is often the case.
Imagine what they are able to do now that we don't know about?
I agree that it is probably a man in the footage, and he would have been reporting directly to the U.S. President's office in all likelihood, on the activities of Chaplin and his known associates, who they considered to be a serious threat to U.S, national security. I hope this clears this matter up once and for all.
I have to go now, because I think I can hear the tooth fairy calling..............  :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
the plot thickens.  :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Very interesting Dave ....  All I need now is enough patience to watch that clip to the end to see what the fuss is about (I lose interest half way through and go looking for new posts by ugly mongrel and kimba  :lol:)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Kimba

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Townsville, QLD, AUS

• Townsville, AUSTRALIA
(I lose interest half way through and go looking for new posts by ugly mongrel and kimba  :lol:)

Bahaha you make me laugh, I must watch this clip when I get home.. work blocks video clips.. I know I know I should be working but this is just so much better for me... :wink:  and to any future employers.. I really am an efficient worker :) I just get my work done waayyy too quickly  :wink: :P

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
and to any future employers.. I really am an efficient worker :) I just get my work done waayyy too quickly  :wink: :P

LOL!!!!!!!!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal