i30 Owners Club

Bertie's new shoes - Tucson 17's on GD Tourer + fresh brakes

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Over the weekend I installed the (virtually) new Tucson 17 x 7.0" onto our i30.

They suit and fit perfectly - I wanted a larger wheel that was easily replaceable for if (when really) the other half were to get friendly with a gutter.

I picked these up for $445 delivered to my brothers tyre shop where they were shod in 225/45 Firestone Firehawk Sport 01.

These are a Bridgestone RE002 pattern with allegedly improved compounds over the original - initial impressions are good but yet to have a solid test - I ran our previous Corolla with RE003 which left a lot to be desired - particularly in the wet.

I've had these ready since early Jan but had to wait for the new rotors to show up as I didn't see the point in having the wheels off more than they need to be.

I went with DBA T2 rotors all around, paired with Bendix GCT pads. I flushed the system with Castrol React Dot4.

The brakes (with the exception of the fluid) had a net cost of $0. Yep $0.

My pads and rotors were sourced from Supercheap Auto with a retail of $835.00 - yes you can get cheaper off eBay but the savings aren't as impressive :rofl:

I managed this with my staff discount (which I won't be disclosing) and my saved up flybuys points (thanks Coles) which were transferred to Super Retail Group gift cards.

I painted my calipers while I was going - plain old black to match the DBA centers.

Before

After

I will get a full vehicle shot when I wash it and clean the marks off the wheels from the cardboard :crazy1:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Over the weekend I installed the (virtually) new Tucson 17 x 7.0" onto our i30.

They suit and fit perfectly - I wanted a larger wheel that was easily replaceable for if (when really) the other half were to get friendly with a gutter.

I picked these up for $445 delivered to my brothers tyre shop where they were shod in 225/45 Firestone Firehawk Sport 01.

These are a Bridgestone RE002 pattern with allegedly improved compounds over the original - initial impressions are good but yet to have a solid test - I ran our previous Corolla with RE003 which left a lot to be desired - particularly in the wet.

I've had these ready since early Jan but had to wait for the new rotors to show up as I didn't see the point in having the wheels off more than they need to be.

I went with DBA T2 rotors all around, paired with Bendix GCT pads. I flushed the system with Castrol React Dot4.

The brakes (with the exception of the fluid) had a net cost of $0. Yep $0.

My pads and rotors were sourced from Supercheap Auto with a retail of $835.00 - yes you can get cheaper off eBay but the savings aren't as impressive :rofl:

I managed this with my staff discount (which I won't be disclosing) and my saved up flybuys points (thanks Coles) which were transferred to Super Retail Group gift cards.

I painted my calipers while I was going - plain old black to match the DBA centers.

Before

After

I will get a full vehicle shot when I wash it and clean the marks off the wheels from the cardboard :crazy1:

Well done josh. I loved the  transition the RE003's did to my Camry in all conditions.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Finally remembered to take a side on shot - excuse the grime been travelling and weather has been shit.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Congrats Josh, looks good. The GD tourer is still an up to date good looking ageless design (nicer than the GD hatch in my opinion.. same as I reckon the CW is a slightly nicer shape the FD hatch.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Nearly 3 years on from purchase Dazz and we still comment how beaut this little wags  is. Waiting on a fitting kit for some roof racks (getting a roof bag for a bit of extra storage on longer trips) and still may add a towbar to the mix and get rid of the ute as well. Definitely do not regret the purchase and totally agree the tourer edges out the hatch as far as aesthetics go. The only negative for me is the lack of aftermarket rear suspension. She sags a bit with a load, can't get springs easily so considering bags.

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Had a rego inspection today.

As the rego inspector handed back the keys and paperwork his only words were "shit that stops good mate".

Fun fact the i30 stopped from 57kmh 0.1 second faster than my xr6 stopped from 37kmh.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal