i30 Owners Club

Running winter tyres in the UK? Which ones are recommended?

Heady · 42 · 12772

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
Rig up a fake camera post complete with signage. The council may even do that on request! :lol:
Good idea Gonz...
They did just that here (UK) and were forced to remove it - otherwise Legal Action would be taken....

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

For the records, this (slightly damaged) sticker is attached to the drivers door jamb, note the bottom warning:-

:link: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane

Yup because, logically :rolleyes:, H is between U (which comes after T) and V!  :crazy2:    I also notice that 'O' and 'X' are missing from the letters used which otherwise (excepting H) are from J-Z - mostly in order.   T=190; U=200; H=210; V=240;  (All speeds in kmh)

As for why it is like that I am assuming something like originally there wasn't an H and the speed steps went 190, 200, 240 (T, U, V) then there was a need (for whatever reason) for a 210.
Maybe in the US or Europe, but when I joined the tyre industry in 1975 in Australia, we only had "S", "H" and "V".

Okay then...  interesting.   I am just an outsider looking in taking a guess.   Did you ever learn why they are like that? or is it just a mystery of life?  :D
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Yup because, logically :rolleyes:, H is between U (which comes after T) and V!  :crazy2:    I also notice that 'O' and 'X' are missing from the letters used which otherwise (excepting H) are from J-Z - mostly in order.   T=190; U=200; H=210; V=240;  (All speeds in kmh)

As for why it is like that I am assuming something like originally there wasn't an H and the speed steps went 190, 200, 240 (T, U, V) then there was a need (for whatever reason) for a 210.
Maybe in the US or Europe, but when I joined the tyre industry in 1975 in Australia, we only had "S", "H" and "V".

Okay then...  interesting.   I am just an outsider looking in taking a guess.   Did you ever learn why they are like that? or is it just a mystery of life?  :D
Actually,  I did. But it was years ago and I've forgotten.   :crazy1:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
However,  I suspect it was as you say in Europe and we just picked the eyes out of it, not needing all the extras at that time.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Nitrogen, bit of a waste IMO.

nitrogen is 78% of air  :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Absolutely correct,  Phil.

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Absolutely correct,  Phil.
Not quite the same Nitrogen....
They use pure white nitrogen from a Quality Assured pre-charged cylinders provider (B.O.C. Limited).
Problem with "normal" air supplied from a Compressor is that, apart from inclusion of all manner of possible gases and particles, it also includes oil from the Compressor, water etc.
No extra charge for the white N2, tyres should run cooler, reduces internal degradation of the rubber in tyres due to oxidisation
:link: Nitrogen (Oxygen-Free) | BOConline UK
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 14:02:43 by Mike SX »

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
You're running winter tyres in cold conditions, why would you be trying to minimise heating of the tyre. Almost every car in Oz just uses air in tyres, I've never heard of any contaminants including oil hurting a tyre. If oil is present in any quantity, get air somewhere else.

Nitrogen was a fad here a few years ago.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Jax and Bob Jane still offer it, but I worked with the guy who introduced it to BJ. He was their "marketing manager".
Also responsible for their "Gold, Silver & Bronze" wheel balancing options. :P

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Oil and water can damage a tyre in the long term but it's rare for a tyre to last longenough for it to be an issue. In any case, a pproperly maintained air compressor will have a trap for contaminants.
And low pressure is a bigger worry than anything else.
People with nitrogen in their tyres tend to forget to ever check their pressures.

Offline Heady

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Berkshire
I've created a table with a selection of winter tyres ranked from best to worst based on the EU Tyre Label scores.
The rankings for the different tyres are then the weighted scores multiplied together.

Using the ranking methodology described above the Top5 are:
1) Michelin Cross Climate
2) Nokian *WR D4
3) Dunlop Winter Sport 5
4) Continental *Winter Contact 
5) GoodYear *UltraGrip 9

(I tried including a HTML table created from excel but the forum didn't like it)

I eventually purchased the Dunlop Winter Sport 5 tyres.

I have found them much quieter than the original summer Hankooks.

They seem to be grip-y enough in the wet & the moderate cold we're currently having. 
Although, it hasn't yet been cold and icy enough to  really test (although, I don't think I really want to test them that far).
  • 2013 CRDi GD 5 Door Tourer, Diesel 1.6lt, Auto

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal