i30 Owners Club

(AUS) Diesel now about same price as petrol

Lakes · 60 · 13104

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Down the deep south coast where i am now, cheapest is Mobile diesel $1.56.9 unload 91 the same E10 $1.54.9 the Shell 98 petrol i put in my MC is about $1.70
 i had to drive 30k of twisty dirt road today lot of corrugations , i'm more impressed than ever with my FD CRDi i discovered the faster you push it the smoother it is on the dirt & i got the ESC doing it's thing & i'm impressed just she looks like a pig in a poke now as return drive it rained all the dust went to you know what. the more i drive on dirt roads & check under the car after the more impressed i am. i'll have to find a name for her. but at this point still unnamed.
cheers

John, you found the secret to driving on corrugated roads........the slower you go , the tyres pick up all the bumps, while the faster you go the speed(alter this till you find the sweetspot) the tyres go across the tops of the bumps and smooth out your ride....

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Down the deep south coast where i am now, cheapest is Mobile diesel $1.56.9 unload 91 the same E10 $1.54.9 the Shell 98 petrol i put in my MC is about $1.70
 i had to drive 30k of twisty dirt road today lot of corrugations , i'm more impressed than ever with my FD CRDi i discovered the faster you push it the smoother it is on the dirt & i got the ESC doing it's thing & i'm impressed just she looks like a pig in a poke now as return drive it rained all the dust went to you know what. the more i drive on dirt roads & check under the car after the more impressed i am. i'll have to find a name for her. but at this point still unnamed.
cheers

John, you found the secret to driving on corrugated roads........the slower you go , the tyres pick up all the bumps, while the faster you go the speed(alter this till you find the sweetspot) the tyres go across the tops of the bumps and smooth out your ride....

Thanks Neptune, makes sense . but back in 1967 , that did not work on corrugations with my old 1964 EH Holden Ute it jumped all over the road & felt like it would self destruct trying to go fast.
only good cars & trucks i've had on dirt roads was a VW 1978 Kombi Van, 1976 Suzuki LJ50 4X4, a 1979 F350 V8 Ford Truck. they were the best i've had for dirt roads, i had a 1969 Datto 1600 but it was ok on dirt but not as good as the other 's i've mentioned.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Why Dazz, you know that per litre you can go further on Diesel than petrol, so the price difference cancels itself out.  :exclaim:

The price difference down here means I can go as far (in my Hybrid) on $10 of unleaded as I could on $10 of Diesel in my FD CRDi. (5.7 L/100kms V 5.4 L/100kms in the i30.) :cool:

Dazz have to take into account the cost of those electric motors if the go they are very expensive to rebuilt ( i've been told ) & i know how much the battery costs so a Hybrid only a good short term car ( till warranty runs out )  if they could run on the electric power only would be better too.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Still dearer here.
I usually pay @ 1.639

Holy Cow,where do you buy your fuel,so I can steer clear of that road side robbery house

Rick...where do you go and how much per litre?

Rick "gets" it from work for 0.000  :rofl:

I wish,no if it ain't worth 20 to 100 million dollars and I know 100% I can get away with it I Don't touch it,not worth loosing my job
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Why Dazz, you know that per litre you can go further on Diesel than petrol, so the price difference cancels itself out.  :exclaim:

The price difference down here means I can go as far (in my Hybrid) on $10 of unleaded as I could on $10 of Diesel in my FD CRDi. (5.7 L/100kms V 5.4 L/100kms in the i30.) :cool:

Dazz have to take into account the cost of those electric motors if the go they are very expensive to rebuilt ( i've been told ) & i know how much the battery costs so a Hybrid only a good short term car ( till warranty runs out )  if they could run on the electric power only would be better too.

Don't think it's an issue John .. This was a post in the Camry Hybrid Forum last week (and evn Beerman has said something similar on here!

"Caught up with a mate who works in the taxi industry. He saw my Camry Hybrid and raved about them, says they get 100,000km out of them before they needs pads, no belts break and they run really cool (heat can be a problem for a cab). Says they are much more reliable than Falcons which surprised me and they end up being far cheaper to run even compared to LPG cars. He has seen a few with over 900,000km and none have had battery issues. Says the drivers are finding it great to drive which is important when doing a 12 hour shift. Impressed me, basically the gold standard at the moment. The only issue is supply, they have to pay more than they expect on used ones or basically order brand new ones."
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

My math ain't too crash hot but me thinks you'd still go further with the diesel....  :undecided:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My math ain't too crash hot but me thinks you'd still go further with the diesel....  :undecided:

Last time I did the sums it was about line ball... :cool:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:harhar: :toldyou: :kissmyass:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
So your math is as bad as mine then...  :undecided:  :lol:

Yes, when you add it all up.  :lol:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

[/quote]

Don't think it's an issue John .. This was a post in the Camry Hybrid Forum last week (and evn Beerman has said something similar on here!

"Caught up with a mate who works in the taxi industry. He saw my Camry Hybrid and raved about them, says they get 100,000km out of them before they needs pads, no belts break and they run really cool (heat can be a problem for a cab). Says they are much more reliable than Falcons which surprised me and they end up being far cheaper to run even compared to LPG cars. He has seen a few with over 900,000km and none have had battery issues. Says the drivers are finding it great to drive which is important when doing a 12 hour shift. Impressed me, basically the gold standard at the moment. The only issue is supply, they have to pay more than they expect on used ones or basically order brand new ones."
[/quote]

That's good to know Dazz, also i've had a few falcons & driven them for three years averaging 90,000 a year, they were not that reliable , the battery's used to just go & they would just stop or if they went when parked, they would not re start, & the auto trans go on them too.
when you see your m8 ask how many years they keep the Hybrids . i never seen many hybrid taxi's in Sydney but seen some hire cars.

i think boot size might restrict them as in Sydney they need big boots for airport pick ups hotel pick ups.
what city was guy in?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I think in Brisbane (apparently lots of them used as taxis up there)

Boot size was an issue with the 40 series Hybrid but not so much with my (current) 50 series model. Over 400 litres and a really useable shape (can fit 2 x large and 2 by small cases + an esky!) :goodjob:

Yeah, as far as Fords go, I reckon I have seen more Fords (particularly Falcons) broken down on the side of the road than any other brand over the years.. Particularly on really hot days.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
That's good Dazz, the u2 6 speed Diesel i30 i have now is one of the best cars i've had, not the fastest but it's good at a lot of thing in general & better than the 5 speed i had first. get better economy too especially now even though it is colder & lot of big hill's still gets below 5L/100K
it's been sitting on 4.9L /100K for the past three tank full's ( have not turned off trip PC & always 1,100 or more before needing to refill love that part of it! also saw Honda has a 2.2 Diesel in there small SUV.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
also saw Honda has a 2.2 Diesel in there small SUV.

They also have a 1.6l diesel in their Civic, John.... :goodjob:
Slightly down on power compared to the Hyundai but produces a bit more torque, oh and it's better on fuel if the official fuel-consumption figures are to be believed...

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Don't see many on the road.
Late to the party?  :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Maybe....Honda seems to have dropped their bundle in recent times if sales are anything to go by...  :undecided:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
also saw Honda has a 2.2 Diesel in there small SUV.

They also have a 1.6l diesel in their Civic, John.... :goodjob:
Slightly down on power compared to the Hyundai but produces a bit more torque, oh and it's better on fuel if the official fuel-consumption figures are to be believed...

Very interesting Rusty, Honda build great motors, if they make more Torque i would expect great economy, do they have a DPF?

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Unfortunately the answer is yes....it does have a dpf.  :(

On the bright side it does have 300nm of torque...  :goodjob:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

:(:):neutral:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Also has a space saver so it ends up like this for me...  :(

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

When you tune a motor you can set them up to make more HP or you can set them up for less HP but more Tq, give me more TQ any day as its TQ that thrusts you forward. but you can over do it & they freeze up quick ( run out of puff )
i might call in to honda wednesday as i'll be close to a dealer.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

That's not good does glove box have a lock?

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

That's not good does glove box have a lock?

If it does, that could be a  :happydance: (for some).
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
 :rofl: Dave , & thanks Rusty, just looked but $30k for a Honda Civic bit steep. would be interesting to test drive one, i test drove a Mazda 3   2.2 Diesel 6 speed manual before i bought my second i30 & it did not feel as lively as my old 5 speed CRDi, but had over 300nm TQ the sale man said it might be his bulk ( he was big lol )

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Thats True Rusty, but  half the extra's i would not need or use, when you have too many electronic tricks all the wiring & so forth add weight. i would be happy with a bare bones car, the important parts to me is Motor , Gear Box Handling & Brakes Wheel Size & Tyres , Jack & tools & air conditioning , i'd go without electric power steering.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

i would be happy with a bare bones car, the important parts to me is Motor , Gear Box Handling & Brakes Wheel Size & Tyres , Jack & tools & air conditioning , i'd go without electric power steering.

..and don't forget locking glovebox!  :snigger:

Electric power steering apparently helps fuel economy!

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
i would be happy with a bare bones car, the important parts to me is Motor , Gear Box Handling & Brakes Wheel Size & Tyres , Jack & tools & air conditioning , i'd go without electric power steering.

..and don't forget locking glovebox!  :snigger:

Electric power steering apparently helps fuel economy!

Yes thats true but it does not help control or steering feel, you get used to it but drive a car with out it. Dazz if you want to improve economy more remove air conditioning & all the hardware that goes with it.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Fair call John, but I think electric steering can have feel, Toyota and Hyundai just haven't worked out how to do it yet! Not giving up my aircon sorry.. anyway, the Hybrid's aircon is electric, not belt driven so only the weight to worry about :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal