i30 Owners Club

Blown i30 6 speed box

Offline Olympicon

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bristol
Dropped my car off at the dealer for a fuel issue (see other thread)
:link: 2.0 CRDI trouble starting - new battery/alternator no warning lights?
 they’d told me it had a loud noise suspected diff when it had been in a few days ago. Drove a day or two and it developed the fuel issue so dropped it back. Got a phone call today to say they went to test drive it and I no longer had a 5th or 6th gear, which is odd as I did when I dropped it off.
Anyway it had warranty so potentially covered, but Hyundai want £3k+ just for a new box plus labour (more than the cars worth)
Anyone have experience with having a 6 speed box rebuilt on the D4EA engine? Hoping to have it done and fitted for under £1000 in which case they’d probably pay...
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 20:47:53 by nzenigma »
  • 2008 2.0 CRDi Premium

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
If you have warranty why are you even talking money?
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Olympicon

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bristol
It’s aftermarket up to the value of the car with a 50% part contribution due to age and mileage. Which isn’t so bad if the box is rebuilt as labour is 100% covered, not great if the box is £3k and I have to pay half....
  • 2008 2.0 CRDi Premium

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Ok, you had a fuel problem  and they told you it had a bad diff, now they say no 5 or 6 .
Get written quote for repair listing all faults,  ask what was car doing when it lost 5 & 6.
Remove car for 2nd opinion. Down here it's been proven that these add on warranties are just crap. Usually massively overcharging if any repair needed.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :whsaid: unfortunately I smell a rat. Sounds a bit like they have inflated the problem to generate a false quote for a larger sum. Then they get you to pay half which is actually the full cost of the actual fault. I could be wrong but sounds odd these other faults suddenly appeared. Like Mick says, from a short stint in the car game in the 90s I can confirm these aftermarket warranties are dodgy.  :disapp:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Ok, you had a fuel problem  and they told you it had a bad diff, now they say no 5 or 6 .
Get written quote for repair listing all faults,  ask what was car doing when it lost 5 & 6.
Remove car for 2nd opinion. Down here it's been proven that these add on warranties are just crap. Usually massively overcharging if any repair needed.

Thankfully, my mind had blotted out the " fuel problem". I included the link above, then the went WTF   :Jaw:

There is also the unresolved issue of the faulty old, plus faulty new valeo crank sensor.
Also unexplained later post re fuel problem:
"Conincidence or... just had a drive, about 4 times on full throttle got to about 3k rpm and it just wouldn’t rev any higher as if I’d hit a limiter ...."

PS Mick and Dazz are on the money.  :goodjob2:
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 21:12:46 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Now replying to myself  :wacko: time to retire.

Previously, I have challenged the posts on the fuel issue because nobody involved seemed to have any mechanical dexterity or the ability to properly gather evidence.

In regard to:
"on full throttle got to about 3k rpm and it just wouldn’t rev any higher as if I’d hit a limiter ...."

Could cause be _ OP's top gear is now 4th gear?  :head_butt:

Has the 'Little Britain hammer team' managed bend a gear shift linkage while removing CKS?
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Olympicon

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bristol
This gets better. I’ve collected the car from the garage, went to start it and surprise surprise it just cranked and wouldn’t start. But wasn’t this issue meant to have been resolved by the genuine Hyundai crank sensor they made me pay for after claiming my Valeo one was faulty, I hear you cry.
Anyway eventually it started, and as they say, even with the engine off you simply cannot move the gear stick all the way to the right to enable you to go up or down to select 5 and 6. However (aside from the fuel issue) it drove home perfectly fine in every gear including 4th. Surely if the internals had suffered such catastrophic failure as to lose 5/6 gear I’d at the very least hear some knocking or crunching??

Also re fuel issue. Realised I haven’t changed the fuel filter since 2015 and probably covered a fair amount of miles so I may well start there for that problem  :whistler:
  • 2008 2.0 CRDi Premium

Offline Olympicon

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bristol
By the way can I just thank everyone for replying and offering suggestings on this calamity of events
  • 2008 2.0 CRDi Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@Olympicon No problems. Sounds like you need to get a 2nd opinion froman independent garage. Fingers crossed these issues are over stated and easily sorted.  :sweating:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
@Olympicon No problems. Sounds like you need to get a 2nd opinion froman independent garage. Fingers crossed these issues are over stated and easily sorted.  :sweating:
agree Daz. Have been indicating same. A competent old timer should sort this. First thing I would look at is gear linkage. If box is dud go towrecker. Start prob is connector or crap in fuel.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
agree Daz. Have been indicating same. A competent old timer should sort this. First thing I would look at is gear linkage. If box is dud go towrecker. Start prob is connector or crap in fuel.
You sure have had a run of idiots and bullshit !!.
Box sounds like it's OK.
As per nz, try gear linkage, should have a fresh mark on it . (Assuming they didn't remove it & forgot to replace it   :lol:) might pay to get another, so you can see if there is a change of shape.
Not that I'll be going over to buy a car, but do you wish to give them a "plug" for others over there?
Problems and the associated questions, head scratching and thoughts are all part of the forum.
Most of the time I just go - what ??,  but always throw my thoughts up if I have any   :lol: :lol:
You'll be a wealth of knowledge when you get sorted, keep us posted . :goodjob:

Offline Olympicon

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bristol
Honestly I’m starting to think their incompetence knows no bounds.
Called RAC out as it will need a tow to the garage for the box, explaineded the circumstances and he was the same opinion as me that it seemed unlikely to be the box. He had a look and couldn’t see the cable even moving when I tried to select 5/6 gear. Unfortunately there was a limit to what he could do so still advised garage but starting point was linkage.

After he’d gone I took off the gear surround and disconnected the cable, gear stick happily then went into gears so ruled that out. Engine bay I disconnected the applicable cable from the linkage and (thank god) selector happily now moved to where it should be. Looked at the cable and sure enough it wouldn’t ‘push’ in the direction it should to select those gears so it’s just a cable fault. There’s Hyundai quoting me £3000+ without even carrying out basic diagnostics.

The cables look like a bit of a pig to change so I’ll probably still take it to a garage for that.
Another coincidence, the broken cable (see vid) is, drum roll... right next to the crank sensor and where you’d be fiddling about to change it  :crazy2: in the video where the cable moves ‘in’ its then meant to move a further distance in to select 5th or 6th but it physically won’t go any further in that direction than in the video. Thinking the broken bits of rubber/plastic probably have something to do with it.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 17:23:40 by Olympicon »
  • 2008 2.0 CRDi Premium

Offline Olympicon

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bristol
Also anyone got a link and/or part number for the gear linkage? It’s a 2.0 CRDi 2008 thanks :)
  • 2008 2.0 CRDi Premium

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Also anyone got a link and/or part number for the gear linkage? It’s a 2.0 CRDi 2008 thanks :)

Hopefully it's the same as the 1.6 CRDi one! The 2.0 Crdi (i30) was never sold in Australia and was only available in the UK for the first 12 months or so of the FD series. We have only ever had a handful of members with that engine.

Fingers crossed someone can source a part number for you. At least it sound like most of your repairs will now be at a significant lower cost.  :happydance:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :laughter: As you say their incompetence knows no bounds  :laughter:

That cable is stuffed.

@Dazzler mate I think John had a 6 speed.

Irrespective, like most of our era, John and I learnt about gearboxes in the cradle ( separate  ;) )

There will be two cables or links acting on the gear box to action forward gears.

#1 acts for the forward and back motion of the gear lever eg.
 a. 1 to 2nd
 b. 3 to 4th
 c. 5 to 6th

link #2 responds to the sideways motion of the gear lever, and opens an internal gate in the box
 so that only a , b  or c and be engaged at one time.

Reverse has its own link.

Edit: not sure if the cable pictured is #1. you need to find #2,  which ever way, that will probably sort the issue.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 23:45:16 by nzenigma »

Offline Olympicon

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bristol

Hopefully it's the same as the 1.6 CRDi one! The 2.0 Crdi (i30) was never sold in Australia and was only available in the UK for the first 12 months or so of the FD series. We have only ever had a handful of members with that engine.

Fingers crossed someone can source a part number for you. At least it sound like most of your repairs will now be at a significant lower cost.  :happydance:

Did the 1.6 come with a 6 speed manual box?
  • 2008 2.0 CRDi Premium

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
43794-1H300

1.6 DF4B is different part number

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Also fitted KIA Ceed 2006 - 2009 2000cc DSL SOHC TCI, 6 spd manual

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Keep that video  :goodjob:
I'd be sending that to Hyundai over there with copies of the quotes and anything else and ask them "WTF is that dealer doing to its customers and Hyundai brand ? "  - Shafting them both.   :disapp:

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Yeah, agreed with Mickd.  Got to keep them honest.
  • 2018 PD2 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6T, DCT, White, I30 SR Premium

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Keep that video  :goodjob:
I'd be sending that to Hyundai over there with copies of the quotes and anything else and ask them "WTF is that dealer doing to its customers and Hyundai brand ? "  - Shafting them both.   :disapp:

The other point ( while hard to prove) is that one of the geniuses has been swinging on that cable while trying to get at the nearby sensor. She has managed to pull the outer sheath of that bowden cable away from the mounting point. The cable is now useless.

However , the word 'Useless' also  seems to describe both workshops .

Offline Olympicon

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bristol
Seems more likely than not that all the recent garage exposure has caused the issue but impossible to prove. No doubt Hyundai will tell me they didn’t officially diagnose the gearbox failure or it was just a suggestion  :neutral:

Thanks for the part number, looks like dealer only part so I’m not looking forward to the price  :fum:
  • 2008 2.0 CRDi Premium

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Wreckers !

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Wreckers !

Could be very scarce being around 9 years ago and in limited numbers...

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Wreckers !

Could be very scarce being around 9 years ago and in limited numbers...
I would still try them though.  Plenty in Oz  ;) The cars and cables last for ever, but depends how rough the wrecker was removing the engine

Offline Olympicon

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bristol
I’ll see how much the dealer wants (might try a different one) I may as well put a new one in, if it’s too expensive then yes breakers it is!

Also managed to break the gear surround, turns out I have the model where the gaitor is held into the surround by 4 screws not just clips so snapped two of them. Struggling to find a decent quality replacement surround now eBay ones all seem crappy or the wrong type  :crazy2:
  • 2008 2.0 CRDi Premium

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Bloody Hell  :disapp: more crap .   :disapp: :disapp:
3 x crow calls - Farrk, Farrk, Farrrrk !!

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I’ll see how much the dealer wants (might try a different one) I may as well put a new one in, if it’s too expensive then yes breakers it is!

Also managed to break the gear surround, turns out I have the model where the gaitor is held into the surround by 4 screws not just clips so snapped two of them. Struggling to find a decent quality replacement surround now eBay ones all seem crappy or the wrong type  :crazy2:
:crazy1: :snow:

Step 1 would be unscrew the knob
Step2 The centre fascia is clipped in, once that is prised out , you undo any electricals
step 3 should just lift off

Likely you're going to have to remove the entire centre console

A new one is likely hundres of pounds, later models new I'm seeing 200 quid average.

A simple search in Ebay UK will yield fruit  :headbang:

example

:link: Hyundai I30 2007 - 2012 2.0 Diesel 6 Manual Gearbox Linkage Cables | eBay

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Agree that its all straight forward But>>>>>

But NOT Step 1 would be unscrew the knob.  :undecided:

Do not try that.

Sorry, doing a Lester here, but from memory under the knob there is a chrome thing, and under that is a pin that needs to be pulled out or pushed in.

:wacko: its been a while since I dun wun.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal