i30 Owners Club

i30 PD front speaker upgrade query.

Offline my.name.is.earl

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hey,
has anyone here replaced their front speakers. Looking for info as to if there is a crossover somewhere under the dash for the front tweeters or are they split directly from the head. Otherwise how have you wired up a set of splits in the PD
  • 2018 i30 SR PD2 Manual, White

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
At least 2 members (or possibly 3?) have replaced their speakers. If They don't respond in the next couple of days I'll tag them.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Hey,
has anyone here replaced their front speakers. Looking for info as to if there is a crossover somewhere under the dash for the front tweeters or are they split directly from the head. Otherwise how have you wired up a set of splits in the PD

These threads may be useful to you
:link: PD SR Stereo Install. Speaker, Amps, Subwoofer
:link: I30 PD headunit/speaker removal DIY with wire diagram r=There is a wiring diagram & guide kindly supplied by another member.

The OEM front tweeters i recall have a built in crossover on tweeter. The front OEM doors speakers are full range with no obvious crossover built in (same speaker as rear door).
The Morels 602 Maximus that i had professionally installed had an inline crossover in the wiring for the dash tweeter and door woofer had the crossover glued to the speaker magnet. so hope that kind of answers your question. Now i have 4 channel amplifiers in the boot with Focal K2 crossovers feeding front speakers
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 23:54:13 by Crustycottage »
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline my.name.is.earl

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Thanks for the assistance, and big shout out to lil-weg for the crutchfield guide, makes pulling apart the car a bit less stressful. I can confirm the tweeters crossover is attached to the tweeter. Had to break out the dremel to make a hole in the tweeter cover and massage the dash under the cover to get everything to fit.
The speakers I used while not top of the range by any means (Alpine s-s65c) used an inline crossover so I managed to wire that in at the tweeter with plenty of room behind the dash under the cover to stash the wires. Thankfully tweeter and door speakers are wired in with a plug, so was able to easily reuse the plugs and make the speakers easily removed.
I was also able to reuse the foctory door speaker spacers by cutting out the old speakers (makes sense if you try it) and then gluing the alpine adapter plate on to that - creates a really good seal without having to drill new holes.

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
No worries. Glad it all went well.
Big question is does it sound any better? 
Unfortunately my current focal KR speakers wouldn't fit the OEM white spacers. Incidentally members do love pictures of installs, so don't be put off and post some happy snaps  :goodjob:
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline my.name.is.earl

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Sounds a lot better though would not be too hard in my opinion. Will get some photos of the process when I do the rear speakers.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal