i30 Owners Club

HID Kit install

Offline Brinskil

• 1st Gear

• ie Ireland, Republic of
      Meath
HI all,

I just bought a HID kit for the other half's 2012 i30. I purchased it after reading through a lot of posts here so thanks for that!

One more question - Does anyone have a recommend location for fixing the ballast in place? I don't want to drill or modify anything in the engine bay and I will need to remove the kits every 2 years for the NCT (National car test) as it would fail with the kits in place, so it need to be secure but removable.

Any tips would be great.

Thanks!
  • i30 - (2012)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hi and welcome Brinskil  :wttc:

Cable ties would be the easiest solution to secure in place if needing to repeatedly remove them.

Offline Brinskil

• 1st Gear

Meath
That's the plan alright but it's more the location I'm thinking of. Not much room on the right side where the air box is. I was wondering where others have mounted the ballast on their cars.
  • i30 - (2012)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
This is how I mounted mine with the supplied 3m sticky

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
You could also remove the bumper and mount the ballasts under the lights, then you wouldn't have to bother removing them for inspections as they wont be visible :)

Offline Brinskil

• 1st Gear

Meath
Yeah that's what I'm looking for alright, fair play! How does that work out with vibration on the ballasts, how long has it been there any issues so far?
  • i30 - (2012)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
They've been in since July 2016, no more vibration there than inside the car itself and no problems with them so far.

Offline Brinskil

• 1st Gear

Meath
I noticed you drilled through the side of the headlamp housing to run the cables, did you remove the headlamp to do that of leave it in place? I was going to drill a hold in the dust cover but wasn't too happy with that idea to be honest because the outside isn't flat and I though some moisture might get in to the headlamp. 
  • i30 - (2012)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Headlights were left in place, I think it was a 20mm or 22mm hole I drilled though each light for the grommet, plug connections were a tight fit and awkward to squeeze though the hole from the inside but with perseverance I got it eventually :)

Offline Brinskil

• 1st Gear

Meath
Went to install last night and found that the H7 bulb for the dipped beam is fixed in place with a plastic twist clip that also has the power cables connected to it. Now the HID kit I have requires the bulb be held in place in the light housing without the power cable connected with original power cable connected to the kit harness- how do I get around this?

I can see how to get around it by clipping the cables but as I mentioned I'll need to remove and return to stock lights for the vehicle tests so I'd prefer not to do that. Can a metal spring like what's on the main beams be fitted to the dipped beam housing or is there another solution?

• i30 - (2012)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Brinskil

• 1st Gear

Meath

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal