i30 Owners Club

Won't start after driving perfectly yesterday

Bravomal · 27 · 26642

Offline Bravomal

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      New South Wales, Australia
Hi all,

Went to start my i30 CRDi 2012 GD this morning after driving it perfectly yesterday and it wouldn't start (as per video below).

Radio and a/c works and it's not even slightly cold here. Any ideas?

:link: hyundai i30 diesel won't start problem - YouTube

Thanks in advance, really appreciate any comments or feedback

• 2012 i30 CRDi GD

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi all,

Went to start my i30 CRDi 2012 GD this morning after driving it perfectly yesterday and it wouldn't start (as per video below).

Radio and a/c works and it's not even slightly cold here. Any ideas?

:link: hyundai i30 diesel won't start problem - YouTube

Thanks in advance, really appreciate any comments or feedback
Good healthy legs! :rofl:

Seriously though,  what's displayed on the instrument cluster? Anything irregular say to do with an immobiliser symbol or glow plug heating symbol?

Sorry Im unfamiliar with GD, also wondering about fuses say for the glow plugs etc.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Bravomal

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
 :rofl: yep a bit healthier than the car!

Dash picture attached, I don't think there is anything out of the ordinary there?

• 2012 i30 CRDi GD

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
:rofl: yep a bit healthier than the car!

Dash picture attached, I don't think there is anything out of the ordinary there?
I honestly don't know, too hard to see what's on the tacho side. all I was thiniking was glows not heating up or a problem worth the immobiliser but I think a key symbol flashes if it's a mismatch. Basic checks like  fuses in the engine compartment and the inside.

Offline Bravomal

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
The engine isn't even turning over either, which seems strange? Battery definitely fine though.
  • 2012 i30 CRDi GD

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
The engine isn't even turning over either, which seems strange? Battery definitely fine though.

? Weird, was in the video. Battery terminals clean and tight? How do you know the battery is ok?

Offline Bravomal

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Hmmmm Well I just assumed the battery is OK because radio, a/C and headlights all working?
  • 2012 i30 CRDi GD

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Do the headlights go dim when attempting to start ?  You need to test the battery under load.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Do the headlights go dim when attempting to start ?  You need to test the battery under load.

With a load on and try to start, the cluster will go out if battery or leads going to it are in bad condition. Presume you would have mentioned that????
As tw has said, if the immobiliser is not reading the key, the light with key symbol will flash for a while then go out.
If the above is all ok, I would look for a fuse going to the starter solenoid. The starter only turns over after the solenoid is engaged. From memory there  is a heavy duty fuse at the +ve battery terminal.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Bravomal

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Thanks for the feedback  tw, John and enigma - I took a video of the headlight while I'm trying to start.

:link: Hyundai i30 diesel problem starting - YouTube

There what looks like two fuses in a box over the positive terminal pictured below

:link: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Does it make sense for me to try find some jumper leads next?
  • 2012 i30 CRDi GD

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Thanks for the feedback  tw, John and enigma - I took a video of the headlight while I'm trying to start.

There what looks like two fuses in a box over the positive terminal pictured below

I have to say that battery is now too low, could be bad or exhausted from attempting to start  headlights extinguish and solenoid clacking as there is insufficient power. If not bad battery then bad connections but batteries can literally fail with no warning, how old is the battery?

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW

I have to say that battery is now too low, could be bad or exhausted from attempting to start  headlights extinguish and solenoid clacking as there is insufficient power. If not bad battery then bad connections but batteries can literally fail with no warning, how old is the battery?

If using jumper leads,  remember to put the negative to chassis or the engine  👍
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Bravomal,

Good to see our troops are rallying to help. (Thanks guys)

The diesel does require more umph to start than the petrol, so it is quite possible it is just a weak battery which can fail or deteriorate at short notice. The power required to drive those other functions is much less.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Have you tried the spare key?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
@Bravomal , mate my apologies, I came in late yesterday with not much time to spare ;read the posts and responded.
I have just watched the last few seconds of your video and it shows the cluster dying.. You HAD a near flat battery at that time.
Use jumper leads, as per Mick's warning.
Car should start. You may have left something on to drain it or no charge from alternator. If the battery is being charged you should see interior lights go bright as you rev a bit.

ALSO check battery terminals are clean, tight and corrosion free.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 21:15:44 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
If you can get your battery charged take it to a battery outlet and get them to load test it, this will tell you if the battery is good or not.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Bravomal

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Thank you everybody - got some jumper leads today and fired it up. Had plenty of flat batteries in my life, not sure why I failed to diagnose from the start. Confused as to what drained it, i'm hoping the boot was ajar otherwise my battery might be cooked. Anyway, thanks again all, really appreciate the help!
  • 2012 i30 CRDi GD

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Bravo bravomal,
Good to hear,  just have sort out your battery and all will be good again.
Thank you for the update  :goodjob: :victory:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
 :whsaid: Good news.  :goodjob2: As asked earlier do you know how old the battery is ? if not it could be the original battery,if so it has done well to last this long. I never mess about with batteries, the first sign of trouble I get a new one, not worth getting stuck out somewhere. Having said that, as others have said you need to check the charging rate.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 04:37:03 by John B »
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Mine is on its second battery after the original didn't survive 15 months storage while we were in Indonesia at the 8 year mark.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thank you everybody - got some jumper leads today and fired it up. Had plenty of flat batteries in my life, not sure why I failed to diagnose from the start. Confused as to what drained it, i'm hoping the boot was ajar otherwise my battery might be cooked. Anyway, thanks again all, really appreciate the help!

Glad it was a simple fix 
And a big thankyou for thanking the team. :goodjob2:

Offline Bravomal

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Just thought i'd update the thread for anyone else that might experience this problem in the future or those interested

- yesterday i jump started it successfully, took it for a good drive to charge up the battery (posted above)
- 24 hours later (today) I went to start it and it was dead, so I jump started it again
- let it idle for 10-15 minutes, jumped in to take it for a drive for 10-15 minutes - noticed a prevalent egg smell from start to finish of the drive (presumed to be sulphur - turned around when i realised it was probably sulphur!)
- returned home, turned the car off for 5 minutes, turned it back on and it started fine.... inspected the battery, looks in fairly good condition but i could see a small amount of liquid (no visible crack nor was the liquid near the terminals though)
- just for the hell of it i gave it another good hour then went and tried to start it again and it was well flat again

SAME OLD SYMPTON - Battery problem
NEW SYMPTON - Sulphur smell (assumed to be from battery)

Next sensible step is to buy a new battery, I suppose I just want to make sure that it's not something else draining the battery first, in which case, if i install a new one, it may just become drained also.

Because I was able to start it 5 minutes after turning it off, hopefully means the alternator works??

• 2012 i30 CRDi GD

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Just thought i'd update the thread for anyone else that might experience this problem in the future or those interested

- yesterday i jump started it successfully, took it for a good drive to charge up the battery (posted above)
- 24 hours later (today) I went to start it and it was dead, so I jump started it again
- let it idle for 10-15 minutes, jumped in to take it for a drive for 10-15 minutes - noticed a prevalent egg smell from start to finish of the drive (presumed to be sulphur - turned around when i realised it was probably sulphur!)
- returned home, turned the car off for 5 minutes, turned it back on and it started fine.... inspected the battery, looks in fairly good condition but i could see a small amount of liquid (no visible crack nor was the liquid near the terminals though)
- just for the hell of it i gave it another good hour then went and tried to start it again and it was well flat again

SAME OLD SYMPTON - Battery problem
NEW SYMPTON - Sulphur smell (assumed to be from battery)

Next sensible step is to buy a new battery, I suppose I just want to make sure that it's not something else draining the battery first, in which case, if i install a new one, it may just become drained also.

Because I was able to start it 5 minutes after turning it off, hopefully means the alternator works??
Buy a battery becuse it sounds like it's being cooked if fluid is escaping and stinking,

Also make sure none of that fluid has gone on the metal work and corroded AKA as Sulphuric acid.

If it has hot or boiling water and sprinkle baking soda which will react with any traces of acid to produce carbon dioxide. Otherwise it can stay reactive and do a lot of damage in the long term.

I would not mess around charging this battery , they do give of Hydrogen and if enough gas is present can be explosive.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Me too, wot she just said  :)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Have you been able to do a drop test on the battery.

That would tell if the battery is holding charge
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Have you been able to do a drop test on the battery.

That would tell if the battery is holding charge

Not that old Chestnut ....again :crazy2:

:link: I30 1.6 CRDI 2011 Cold Start Problem

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :rofl: :rofl:

I was getting anxious waiting for the drop test to arrive.  :rolleyes:

Good old Lester, he has a war chest of old nuts   :cool:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal