i30 Owners Club

Battery replacement or charge?

pidim · 7 · 1852

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi all, I still have my original battery after 72000kms (6 years old this week).  Didn't trust HY dealer, so went to Repco for a battery test.  The 1.8L battery is a 550CCA.  It was checked at providing 275CCA with message "Bad/Replace" on his LCD display. 

Should I charge or replace (I don't have a charger)? I figured 6 years was enough and because I didn't know what that fuse thingy is all about on the positive terminal and neither did the Repco guy, I thought I would just go to my HY dealer on Saturday for a new AC Delco battery.

Is it easy to remove the fuse thing off the terminal... there's a lot going on there under the black lid to do this myself?  HY dealer and Repco Century pricing was identical + fitting fee at HY

Any comments or suggestions would be a big help.... thanks

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Got a Battery World nearby?

Anyway, don't mess around with it 6 years is good.
My five year old Corolla Yuasa died yesterday.
Without warning. Luckily I was only a block from a servo with a workshop.

Make sure they use some auxilliary power so you don't lose any settings.
A good one will probably cost close to $200 these days.

My 2009 i30 battery lasted  7 years which was exceptional.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
What sort of settings will I lose? I'm guessing pairing phone and presets on radio but not sure what else I would lose?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
What sort of settings will I lose? I'm guessing pairing phone and presets on radio but not sure what else I would lose?
That's enough isn't it?
Anyway most places will have a small 9 V battery to plug into the cigarette lighter or power outlet, or they'll hook another battery up to the leads as they change over.

Offline i30premy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      NW Sydney Aust
Must be in the air, our 2012 premy's battery also started showing signs of dying a month ago.
Just called NRMA's battery guys & they turned up, gave it a check over & report suggested in was on it's last legs.
Swapped over & all good now. The chap did put an aux power supply on the car whilst he did the swap.
I beleive if you cut power off to car you need to recode the radio to get it working again - if you have the code or it will be a trip to your fav Hy dealer
  • i30 GD Premium Petrol Auto 2012 ~ Clean Blue

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Must be in the air, our 2012 premy's battery also started showing signs of dying a month ago.
Just called NRMA's battery guys & they turned up, gave it a check over & report suggested in was on it's last legs.
Swapped over & all good now. The chap did put an aux power supply on the car whilst he did the swap.
I beleive if you cut power off to car you need to recode the radio to get it working again - if you have the code or it will be a trip to your fav Hy dealer
I have a story about that. But I'll wait till Monday until I see if I've got it fixed.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I disconnect my battery every time I work on the car and have never had to put a code in for the stereo, most systems that require codes would be included with the stereo booklet and owners manual in the folder when purchasing the vehicle.

Same when I upgraded the stereo system from 01 to 03, still didn't require any code.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal