i30 Owners Club

Need to know rear shelf dimensions for installation of POLK AUDIO 6 x 9's.

Offline Nateluthje

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Redland Bay, Qld
G;day All,

I'm new to these forums. I have recently upgraded my stereo in my i30. BEST thing I have EVER done. Pumps out around 2000watts RMS. I would like to add a pair of POLK Audio 6 x 9's to the rear shelf (as I have splits in front and rear doors, and have no where else to place additional speakers.) I wanted to know the surface area/dimensions of the rear shelf (the moveable one) These are the speaker dimesions
Installation
Cut-Out
Oval Height   8 3/8" (21.27cm)
Oval Width   5 1/2" (13.97cm)
Full-Range Mounting Depth
Top Mount   3 3/16" (8.10cm)
Bottom Mount   3 1/2" (8.89cm)
Grille
Height   1 1/8" (2.86cm)

Wanting to know if I can fit 2 or 4 of these bad boys!. Obviously this will be another custom job because speaker enclosures will need to be made for optimum sound quality.

If anyone is interested my stereo is this: Head unit: Alpine IVE-W554ABT, Focal 165KX2's in front, Alpine s100's in rear doors and 4 x E 30 KX12" Subs (800 Watt RMS each). Running subs are 2 x Monoblock 2000W RMS each amps, and I am upgrading to a 4 channel 125Watts RMS per channel to run focal's and alpines. (I already have focal amp running front splits, but alpines are running of head unit, so I can get around $600 AU for focal amp). Adding POLK audio to rear shelf (2 or 4, depending on whether or not they fit). Although I don't sit in the rear, the guys at RACE automotive and sound said by adding 4 channel AMP and POLK audio speakers, it will make a HUGE difference to overall sound.

I would like to hear from other audio affictionado's and am happy for them to email me their systmes.

For anyone in QLD, I HIGHLY reccommend RACE automotive and  Sound. NOTHING was too much trouble for them, installation was of highest quality and advive was top shelf. WHen I started getting into car stereo's (a long time ago), a particular store which I cannot name for legal reasons, I had bought 0-gague wiring from amp to battery + fuses and other wiring equipment. THey STOLE my 0-gague wiring kit, used 8-gagaue wire and above all else, the installation was SO SHIT that the amplifier I had underneath my seat - one of the capacitors overheated and caught fire, causing my entire CAR to catfch fire. Took legal action but there was nothing I could do. Needless to say, I have never gone back to them even though they "asssured" me they were the best.

If you look on Facebook at RACE automotive I beleive they have a few pictures of install in progress. (They have only got the 2 subs in so far, not the 4).

Anyway, reason for post is can I run 4 x POLK AUDIO 6 x 9's or just 2. Either way is fine, I'd just like to know.

Regards,
Nate.

Also feel free to email me your audio systems- always interested.

Have a good day everyone,

Cheers,

Nate.

• 2010 Hyundai i30

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Can't you just take a flat template of the speakers and lay it out 4 times on the removable rear parcel shelf? Also, with that much power, you might need a more solid and rigid shelf custom made.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Nateluthje

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Redland Bay, Qld
Was going to reinforce shelf, and get them to make custom boxes for the 6x9's, since they would not sound any good just in the shelf themselves. Need another amp (4 x 125ram) which will be pricey too, but hey I LOVE my car audio.
  • 2010 Hyundai i30

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If RACE automotive and  Sound are doing this as a custom install wouldn't they have already taken the measurements  :undecided: Don't you have the shelf there in your car that you can measure yourself?

That much power on the rear shelf would also require the shelf to be hard mounted ( fixed solid ) otherwise it'll just bounce around.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal