i30 Owners Club

Either good or bad (or both) news you'd like to share with us - part #2

meehalych · 591 · 114781

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)
:eek: :sweating: :sleeping: Hope they are paying you well Misha!

You could be at home not getting sleep with a crying baby . :whistler: :snigger:
+ yep, very well paying  :happydance:

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
Times are warming, only -1c last night with the daily high expected up to a sunny 19c today! Shorts weather!

:umbrella:

First fuel up on my new tires gave me 4.22l/100km, which was a pleasant surprise when 25% of the tank was driven on winter tires and both ecu and torque said 4.5l/100km.
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
Times are warming, only -1c last night with the daily high expected up to a sunny 19c today! Shorts weather!

:umbrella:

Not too bad at here either, today's high was +11. I started my motorcycling season yesterday and went riding today too.  :cool:

Only two weeks ago the night temperatures were down to -20, and just 12 days ago we had the last snow storm for the winter spreading 20 cm more snow (like we didn't have it more than enough already). But then it warmed up fast, and forecast show mostly sunny and about +10 daily high for the next week. I hope the limited quota of nice weather will not be yet used up for the whole summer!  :confused:
  • 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports, ( Ex 2013 i30 GD Wagon 1.6CRDi 6MT )

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Minimums of 7-11C and Maximums of 18-20C forecast for Devonport this week and Trish and I are sooking after 3 weeks of 20-30C Temperature range on our recent road trip.. I feel the cold more now I have lost some weight and developed PD.  :cool:

Don't think I could live happily in Northern Europe.  :undecided:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
Minimums of 7-11C and Maximums of 18-20C forecast for Devonport this week and Trish and I are sooking after 3 weeks of 20-30C Temperature range on our recent road trip.. I feel the cold more now I have lost some weight and developed PD.  :cool:

Don't think I could live happily in Northern Europe.  :undecided:

+4 and raining for a change, what else can be expected for the weekend? However snow is melting away fast, and rain also help that. If someone paid me 1 EUR every time the sun shines at my workdays in evening shift, and raining during morning shift and weekends, I'd be rich!  :crazy1:

The weather in this side of the globe can be quite depressing at times, but at least our houses are well heated and insulated. Not forgetting the sauna, Finns' traditional weapon against cold and anxiety!  :cool:

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
Yeah, I could not live without my sauna either! Grew up east of Stockholm, so my sauna traditions are more finnish rather than Swedish..(svenneförråd/sweedestorage).

A week or two more and the birches should be ready for harvest. :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

A week or two more and the birches should be ready for harvest. :)

:confused: What do they/you do with them?

@tohis

You make a good point. If it gets cold in Northern Australia the houses aren't really designed to cope. Cold tiled floors, big windows. At least if/when it gets cold in Tasmania our houses have carpet and double glazing etc..  :victory:

I tried a sauna once I didn't like it much. Mind you I wouldn't mind being a spectator when the ladies have one.  :snigger:

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
I don't know Dazz but I think they smack each other with them. :snigger:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW

As the song goes :" whip it , whip it  good "
(DEVO)
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

As the song goes :" whip it , whip it  good "
(DEVO)

:lol:

• Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

:happydance:
I think it's just the bark.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:happydance:
I think it's just the bark.

But is it worse than their bite?

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
You make a good point. If it gets cold in Northern Australia the houses aren't really designed to cope. Cold tiled floors, big windows. At least if/when it gets cold in Tasmania our houses have carpet and double glazing etc..  :victory:ne.  :snigger:

That's how it seems to be in warm places. In that hotel at Tenerife I stayed in at last month, there weren't any heating systems at all because it's seldom needed there. Even the A/C unit at the wall had heating mode disabled when I tried it.  :confused:

I tried a sauna once I didn't like it much. Mind you I wouldn't mind being a spectator when the ladies have one.  :snigger:

I guess the sauna is something which you need to get used to before liking it. Maybe those ladies you mentioned would help you for that...  :evil:

Also, there are lots of "saunas" abroad which Finns would not approve, most commonly throwing water to the stones being prohibited.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I guess the sauna is something which you need to get used to before liking it. Maybe those ladies you mentioned would help you for that...  :evil:

Also, there are lots of "saunas" abroad which Finns would not approve, most commonly throwing water to the stones being prohibited.

I've had body temperature control issues for many years. i didn't realise until fairly recently it is one of the more annoying symptoms of Parkinson's disease.  :disapp:  Just going into a warm shopping centre when i am rugged up for the cold is like going into a sauna for me. I immediately start to sweat and struggle to breathe.  :Pout: :fum:

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
For once I'm not complaining about the weather.  :cool: The whole week has been very warm for early May, many days have been completely cloudless and it hasn't rained a single drop in 7 days. Today's high was +22, however nights are still around +5. Despite having lots of snow not so long ago, all of it has melted away, except some plowed snow piles still remaining here and there but not for long. The forecast show warm weather continuing at next week, but some rain showers may be expected.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

For once I'm not complaining about the weather.  :cool: The whole week has been very warm for early May, many days have been completely cloudless and it hasn't rained a single drop in 7 days. Today's high was +22, however nights are still around +5. Despite having lots of snow not so long ago, all of it has melted away, except some plowed snow piles still remaining here and there but not for long. The forecast show warm weather continuing at next week, but some rain showers may be expected.

That sounds pretty good tohis. Better than Tassie at the moment.  Winter has now hit with a  vengeance.   :Pout:

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
+spent a nice weekend away on the farm. It was Dad's birthday so myself and the SO went through on Friday and returned this afternoon :goodjob2:
-the weather was...odd. Friday was nice, Saturday was windy and hot and Sunday was windy then sunny then rainy then thunderstorm-y :crazy1:
+ate my weight in food. Nothing like traditional farm food :mrgreen:
-the scale didn't seem to like it as much
-Monday tomorrow :disapp:
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
18c or so in the water. Amazing for May! So in I went swimming for the first time this year. Even warm enough in the Air to dry without a towel!

May has been wonderfully warm, not a day under 20c in the Air, highs at 29c! And clear blue skies.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Our water temperatures are around 24° ATM. Even when the air temp is 8.

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
18c or so in the water. Amazing for May! So in I went swimming for the first time this year. Even warm enough in the Air to dry without a towel!

May has been wonderfully warm, not a day under 20c in the Air, highs at 29c! And clear blue skies.

Strange how 18c to you is warm but frigid to me! Anything below 26c and I refuse to get into the water :lol:

That being said, anything above 18c ambient air temp and i turn the A/C on - I detest the heat and I am all too glad that we are heading into winter
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
@PhireSide I love the heat, when its 18, you only go in, take a short swim and back out again, at 26 you can actually be in the water for a prolonged time. Then again, my inlaws in texas think Im mad when im out in the midday sun drinking warm black coffee, but hey, when its dark, cold and rugged 8 months a year, you dont miss an opportunity for some vitamin D. :)

First time in 2.5 years I could leave my i30 at home and take my bike to work, we were having a conference 26km away(usually have 75km to work). So I had another swim when I got there at half past seven. Been another wonderful day!

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
Car got its sixth digit today, 99999 into 100000km. Car is old now. :P

Something seems up with the dpf too, regens every 250km the last 2000km or so, down from every 500km during the winter.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi

Yeah, this month has been really unbelievable. Daily highs mostly over 20, several times over 25, that's almost 10 degrees over average for May, and more than in any month at last year! What's even more exceptional is the drought - practically no rain since 4th day, only one brief afternoon shower 2 weeks ago. The forecast show next few days being only about 15 but then again 20 at weekend, and still very low probability for any rain at the foreseeable future. Only 8 weeks ago we were drowning to the snow, and now it's full blown summer everywhere!  :cool:

Farmers are again in trouble because of drought. Crops would need more water than what they get from morning dew and tractor-driven sprinklers, which will lead to lower yield. The situation is completely opposite than last year, when April and May were very cold, then not so great summer came late, and whole autumn was hopelessly rainy which also lead either low yields or complete fails.

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
22 years and 150.000 km was needed for my first motorcycle accident to be true at yesterday.  :undecided: But don't worry, I'm OK and the bike will be fixed. A car suddenly came from behind a yield triangle, and I managed to brake most of my speed away but would have needed a meter or two more space. So I hit the side of the car at low speed and then fell over. My tailbone area was sore for a while but otherwise didn't have any other injuries. Even my suit and helmet survived without damage, except some scratches in the visor.

After getting up a scared old lady got out of the car, and she clearly understood being guilty. I called 112 and soon the police and ambulance arrived. After a breathalyzer test done by police I climbed into the ambulance for a quick check-up and no further medical care was needed. Meanwhile the opponent was receiving a fine for jeopardizing traffic safety, and she was apologizing several times. At Monday we will go together to the insurance company's office to file an accident report. Then I need to show the bike to their inspector before getting it to a repair shop.

The bike has now scratches here and there but no major damage and definitely not a write-off, and it was still fully drivable so I got back home without problems. The most visible damage is the handlebar bent from the right side. The bike still went straight and the front suspension moved normally, so the front fork is likely OK. The front fairing and headlights have scratches and several cracks, and the fairing support frame may be a bit bent. The muffler cover is damaged and muffler itself also have prints from the cover hitting against it. The rear brake pedal is bent but is likely reparable by bending it back. The handlebar right end and front brake lever also have scratches. The best news is the engine sides and radiator survived with zero damage! Even the rear bag didn't get any hits. I hope the repair shop can just straighten the handlebar at first, so I can then continue riding the bike while waiting the spare parts to arrive.

These situations tend to come suddenly, so my reaction wasn't a perfect textbook example. By braking at full force a blink earlier the collision could have been prevented, but in the other hand there were full potential for much worse.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:Shocked: :sweating:

Wow! Glad you are ok. You guys have become like family to me and I lost a Brother in a scooter accident so..  :crazy1:

Like you say could have been much worse. Lately down here in Tassie it seems nearly half the fatal accidents seem to be Motorcyclists.  :disapp:

I try hard to always look twice for them, but stories like this are always a good reminder.  :cool:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
What Dazz said.

Plus, don't try to straighten the handlebars or the brake pedal.
Metal fatigue could cause one of them to break while you're riding.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Sorry to hear of the accident but glad to hear no damage to yourself.

I would expect the car driver is more in shock than you given you had time to react so positively and able to reduce speed.

Speedy recovery.....

Sent from my ATU-L11 using Tapatalk

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal