i30 Owners Club

what and how much coolant to use?

kroner · 34 · 22524

Offline kroner

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi All.

my i30 has reached 100ks and it's time for a coolant change, on top of that, while checking in cold, noticed the reservoir was lower than low.
though no problems with overheating.

I'd like to get another 100ks out of the coolant, Is it OK to go for the red Nulon red, instead of the green? and if so, how many liters do I need?

• 2012 GD Premium CRDI

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
6.6 litres is the amount needed :link: Parts For Your Car - Hyundai I30 FD-Diesel - Supercheap Auto

I'd just use the Nulon green as pictured, it's a 5 year or 350,000km fill, the red coolant is 6 or 7 years from memory and can be used if you want, just make sure you have completely removed the other coolant so not to mix.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 05:03:31 by CraigB »

Offline kroner

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
thanks mate,
It's probably in the box, but are these usually mixed 50/50 with demineralised water?
  • 2012 GD Premium CRDI

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
thanks mate,
It's probably in the box, but are these usually mixed 50/50 with demineralised water?
It is apparently already premixed in the container as you buy it. So in other words you just pour it straight in...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I have not seen this one before.

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline kroner

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
The one that shows up in CraigB's link is the "coolant" not pre mixed.
Pre-mixed, yeah, no need to add water, but one bottle wouldn't be enough as it's only 5L

the 100% coolant in 5L, should do 10L, enough to fill our car..

Apparently the One coolant is top of the range, that can mix with either colour coolant, and lasts longer.
I just can't find what is the ratio you need to mix it, because it costs way too much to do 50/50
  • 2012 GD Premium CRDI

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I have not seen this one before.

High % glycol content so much better for very cold/icy temperates, would be wasted if used in Australia as you would probably be replacing water hoses before the coolants life time.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Pre-mixed, yeah, no need to add water, but one bottle wouldn't be enough as it's only 5L

Apparently the One coolant is top of the range, that can mix with either colour coolant, and lasts longer.
I just can't find what is the ratio you need to mix it, because it costs way too much to do 50/50
Ah! this is what you're after then :link: Nulon Anti-Freeze/Anti-Boil Green Premix Coolant - Supercheap Auto

Tectaloy has always been my preferred choice, better price :link: Tectaloy 90 Plus Premix Anti-Freeze/Anti-Boil - 5 Litre - Supercheap Auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

It wouldn't let me click through from Craig's original link so I searched the Supercheap site for Nulon Green and it bought up the premix!  :head_butt: (sorry)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Not what I read, says not to mixed with other types but that's generally what most  say.

I've always got the concentrate and done 50/50 in my cars. The pre-mix appears to be 33% and shorter life, supercheap have 6L concentrate bonus bottles for less than $50, water is cheap.

Given how often this gets done I can't work out the "costs way too much" thought. What's a diesel motor or radiator worth looking after?

I have not found a drain in the block yet either .

Offline diesel1984

• 3rd Gear
This shell glyco-shell green is factory fill in all hy/kia diesel engines. 3l is enough for change.

Don't buy red coolant if you have green inside.

Can say only one thing. As water pump is old (100.000+)and you didn't changed it.... Don't make 50:50mix. You don't even need -38C mix anywhere in Europe or Australia. And if your refractometer reads -38C trust me it will not freeze until -45C

Go with 60:40 mix water:coolant and your water pump will last much longer.

Not only with 1.6crdi but lot of people when change their coolant after few months they also change water pump as they leak from too strong coolant mix.

• 1.6crdi

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I've never seen that Shell coolant here in Australia, wholesalers like Blackwoods might stock it for the mining industry :undecided:

If mixing your own coolant then 1/3rd coolant to 2/3rds distilled water is what they recommend though buying premixed Tectaloy or Nulon is much simpler.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
This shell glyco-shell green is factory fill in all hy/kia diesel engines. 3l is enough for change.

Don't buy red coolant if you have green inside.

Can say only one thing. As water pump is old (100.000+)and you didn't changed it.... Don't make 50:50mix. You don't even need -38C mix anywhere in Europe or Australia. And if your refractometer reads -38C trust me it will not freeze until -45C

Go with 60:40 mix water:coolant and your water pump will last much longer.

Not only with 1.6crdi but lot of people when change their coolant after few months they also change water pump as they leak from too strong coolant mix.

Interesting, so what is it with the 50:50 and water pumps? Never knew there was an issue. Touch wood I've had a good run with 200000k  .

Offline kroner

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
thing is.. with the 5L premix.. it's not enough with 1 bottle.
  • 2012 GD Premium CRDI

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
So buy two :) the Tectaloy premix is $16 each, two of them is roughly he same price as one concentrate bottle plus distilled water.

Offline diesel1984

• 3rd Gear
You can't really drain all old coolant.  I think 5l is enough.
  • 1.6crdi

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
You can't really drain all old coolant.  I think 5l is enough.
That will mean you're mixing new coolant with old, not advisable as you have just ruined the new coolant :crazy1:

If the drain bolt is removed (don't ask me where it is on diesels) in the block then all coolant should drain, otherwise leaving the radiator drain open and using hose to flush the system with car running until water flows clear will work (make sure to shut of vehicle immediately after flushing)

My manual also states no less than 35% antifreeze to water ( suitable for Australian conditions) and up to 60% antifreeze for cooler climates, to little antifreeze % will fail to lubricate the water pump sufficiently causing premature wear and also corrosion of aluminium engine parts.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 14:56:55 by CraigB »

Offline diesel1984

• 3rd Gear
Changing coolant is not like changing oil ,small percent of old coolant left in system will not ruin new fill. You can drain radiator, overfill bottle, small radiator and hoses. Hardly you can get out more than 5l.  And by flushing with tap water you will probably make more harm then lettign the old coolant inside.
  • 1.6crdi

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Changing coolant is not like changing oil ,small percent of old coolant left in system will not ruin new fill.
Depends on how old the coolant is, glycol looses it's lubricating properties as it ages so I wouldn't suggest to mix old with new when looking at doing a complete change.

The other issue would be that there are variations in antifreeze mixtures, mix the wrong two and your vehicle will be in all sorts of trouble :eek:

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
Following the workshop manual, I did a coolant change a few months ago. I could only get out 4 litres, and put back in 4 litres.  I even poured distilled water down the tank to flush the system until clear water was coming out of the radiator drain.  I poured 1 litre of water down and got 1 litre out.

Not sure what had happened, but it looks like you can't get all of the coolant out anyway.  I even tried jacking up the drivers side of the car to get it to drain out of the block but it didn't make much difference.

There has to be a block plug somewhere but I didn't look for it.  I also had the heater switched to hot to open the valve but whether it stays open while the engine is off I'm not sure.
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Good idea to flush with distilled water :goodjob2: I've been searching the net for where the block drain is but I'm yet to find anything :Pout:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I pm'd Cruiserfied and he said that he doesn't think there is a drain bolt so I guess the only option is to drop it via the radiator tap and try to flush out remaining coolant.

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
You don't even need -38C mix anywhere in Europe.

I'll have to disagree on that. Northern parts of Europe can easily have -40C temps  :)
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline diesel1984

• 3rd Gear
I pm'd Cruiserfied and he said that he doesn't think there is a drain bolt so I guess the only option is to drop it via the radiator tap and try to flush out remaining coolant.

True. Only possible coolant drain position is at radiator peacock. To drain 5l you need to remove small radiator pipes and blow air inside,you will get another 1l inside.
Remove thermostat and blow air in overfill bottle and you will get another 0.7l out.

• 1.6crdi

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I changed the coolant on mine last year. took put the drain in the radiator and took off one of the cooling hoses on the back of the engine. Filled up with just water and started the engine, then emptied again. Did that 3 times until it was clear water coming out.
When refilling I could only add about 5 litres even though I think the manual says ca 7 litres.

• i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Good to hear, I had a feeling there was not, I've been looking for myself and nothing mentioned for draining other than the radiator plug in the manual. I do have a motor out I can investigate but nothing is leaping out at me.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I changed the coolant on mine last year. took put the drain in the radiator and took off one of the cooling hoses on the back of the engine. Filled up with just water and started the engine, then emptied again. Did that 3 times until it was clear water coming out.
When refilling I could only add about 5 litres even though I think the manual says ca 7 litres.

I think I'll be doing this too. That's another reson I use concentrate, I just work out 50% of the cooling system capacity, add that in concentrate and then top up. That way I know the concentration will be right regardless of how much water is remaining after the drain.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Draining the coolant in the Diesel according to the manual is achieved by taking off the radiator cap, opening the heater valve to full hot, opening the tap at the bottom of the radiator and draining the said fluid. Removing the hoses for the heater and capturing the remaining fluid. That's it.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline naser_1998x

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester

• Hyundai i30 2011 CRDi Automatic
Sorry guys reviving an old topic... So what is the difference between genuine Hyundai antifreeze and a normal antifreeze for example coming from the brand prestone? And what is the Hyundai antifreeze mixture percentage?
Thanks? if anybody is here anymore
  • Hyundai i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal