i30 Owners Club

First service

Joeg · 11 · 4698

Offline Joeg

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Hi all, just got my first (free) service done yesterday on my PD I30. All went good but was  very surprised that oil was not replaced. Just a check of the fluid levels only. Next service is at 7500kms (1.6 turbo) or 6 months. Manager said they use semi syn castrol 5W30 Magnatec I suspect, he said i can bring in my own oil to use. Was thinking of using a full syn may be Penrite or Nulon. Any recommendations would be appreciated
  • PD I30 Sr Manual

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Even though I think they should, oil is never changed at the first 1500km check.

Full synthetic is a must for new turbo cars, I was only talking to my service centre last time I was in there and they're dropping the use of Magnatec in all the new models and changing to Castrol Edge 5W-30, the change is due to Magnatec not meeting specifications.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi all, just got my first (free) service done yesterday on my PD I30. All went good but was  very surprised that oil was not replaced. Just a check of the fluid levels only. Next service is at 7500kms (1.6 turbo) or 6 months. Manager said they use semi syn castrol 5W30 Magnatec I suspect, he said i can bring in my own oil to use. Was thinking of using a full syn may be Penrite or Nulon. Any recommendations would be appreciated
If you look in your service book it's 10,000 now. If they have put 7,500 on your sticker they are milking you. The Veloster with the same motor was 7,500 but I sometimes do 30k per annum, so no way I would have bought one if it was 7,500 on the PD SR.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
They try to fleece you with a 7500 service on the vehicles with 15k service intivals too.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

• 2017 i30 Active 2.0lt in Fiery Red
    • Nessa Losing It...For Good
Bumping up.

My i30 is due for its first free service tomorrow (1500km, though I'll be close to 2100km).  Next service won't be due to 15,000 or (x date).

Now when I purchased my car, so I don't void my roadside assistance, it's recommended that I service through a Hyundai dealer (fixed service cost).

If I were to take to my mechanic, I know this will void the RA but I have that anyway through RACV, so.....your thoughts?  Stick with Hyundai or save some $$ and go to my mechanic?
  • 2017 Hyundai i30 PD Active Hatchback in Fiery Red

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Bumping up.

My i30 is due for its first free service tomorrow (1500km, though I'll be close to 2100km).  Next service won't be due to 15,000 or (x date).

Now when I purchased my car, so I don't void my roadside assistance, it's recommended that I service through a Hyundai dealer (fixed service cost).

If I were to take to my mechanic, I know this will void the RA but I have that anyway through RACV, so.....your thoughts?  Stick with Hyundai or save some $$ and go to my mechanic?

The dealer fixed price servicing isn't too bad if you don't let them pump it up with extras (make it clear any extras have to be authorised by you - they may try additives, injector cleaning etc. You do not void your warranty if a suitably qualified mechanic does a proper by the book service and stamps the book accordingly. By using the dealer you do get your free GPS updates where available and the next 12 months roadside service.

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

• 2017 i30 Active 2.0lt in Fiery Red
    • Nessa Losing It...For Good
Bumping up.

The dealer fixed price servicing isn't too bad if you don't let them pump it up with extras (make it clear any extras have to be authorised by you - they may try additives, injector cleaning etc. You do not void your warranty if a suitably qualified mechanic does a proper by the book service and stamps the book accordingly. By using the dealer you do get your free GPS updates where available and the next 12 months roadside service.

Oh yeah, forgot about the updates.  I did query the extras on top of the fixed price and they said they won't do anything unless they contact me first.

At least the service intervals are greater than my diesel i30, although I guess it won't take me long to get to 15,000km, seeing as I drive on average 300km/week.
  • 2017 Hyundai i30 PD Active Hatchback in Fiery Red

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hi Pik,
Your 1500 km service will be free.
It shouldn't need anything - if it does start asking " WTF !!  It needs what?!" in a nice, calm, slightly raised voice   👍👍
Your 15k km service is a matter of when it falls. Ours was at 6 months, went to my guy.
Just had 30k km done at 28800 km by HY and Road Assist was due and was included.
Road assistance is a yearly payment.
 Also overhead service rep telling a customer that as he had NRMA road assistance,  call Hy help line for reimbursement.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 03:30:30 by mickd »
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Bumping up.

Oh yeah, forgot about the updates.  I did query the extras on top of the fixed price and they said they won't do anything unless they contact me first.

At least the service intervals are greater than my diesel i30, although I guess it won't take me long to get to 15,000km, seeing as I drive on average 300km/week.

I'm a bit jealous the Turbo is every 10K.. Works out a bit more costly and less convenient especially when I can do up to 30K per annum (over 500kms per week)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
I'm a bit jealous the Turbo is every 10K.. Works out a bit more costly and less convenient especially when I can do up to 30K per annum (over 500kms per week)

Hey Dazz,
You could swap with Trish  !  :lol:  :lol:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hey Dazz,
You could swap with Trish  !  :lol:  :lol:

Silly as it sounds Trish wouldn't swap!  The bike would probably fit better in her wagon too!  :idea:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal