i30 Owners Club

excessive tyre wear

rex · 8 · 3486

Offline rex

• 1st Gear

• nz New Zealand
      CROMWELL Central Otago
purchased our i30 new in Dec 2015 trading in our 4 year old Getz with 80,000 km.It has been a dream to drive (wifes car 99% of the time) and never a problem until I noticed a driveline  shudder when on tar seal,hard to detect on bitumen chip and took it to the main dealership.

There they discovered that the left front was out of round (hard to judge how it occured) and at the same time advised me that all 4 tyres needed to be replaced as they all were worn on the inside edge,the left rear was replaced with the spare while there as it was judged to be too dangerous to use.Completely shocked that at 37600 kms that this had occurred.

Butthe mechanic said that this was quite usual for these cars and the car had done a higher mileage than most other i30s that they had dealt with.

Before the Getz was traded, a new set of tyres were fitted, so absolutely shocked to hear the tyres need replaced at that mileage and because of the wheel alignment issue. Hyundai NZ state that they are unaware that there is a wheel alignment problem (not the story from the franchise mechanic)but the dealership where the car was purchased agreed to pay for a wheel alignment and I put 4 new Pirellis on.

The tyre shop advised me that they have done a lot of i30s and some havnt got to 20,000 km. Also no problems were found with the wheel alignment, everything within specs.

What I want to know from other i30 owners is if they have had similar problems,what Hyundai has done to rectify their problems.

I certainly dont want be be spending a lot of money every 35,000 kms on tyres and another wheel alignment.
Have also been advised to come in to the tyre shop every month or so to check on the tyre wear. Bizarre to have to do this on a new car. Should, apart from checking tyre pressures, drive the damn thing.
  • Hyundai 2015 i30 Elite

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Get the alignment checked at a dedicated tyre shop and see if they say the same, my bet is Hyundai aren't aligning correctly, my Hyundai service centre here wasn't doing it correctly but West State Tyres got it right.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Rex, is it a diesel or petrol.
There have been some scattered reports of front tyre wear on diesels but if I remember correctly, these were the older FD models. Someone who has experienced it will chip in sooner or later.
36,000klms is low though.
The brand and pattern can also have an effect. My original Hankooks were noisy and only lasted 28,000 klms but there was no uneven wear. The replacement Goodyears were projecting out to probably something approaching what you got on the Getz (which is good for a Getz, by the way).
The request from the tyre shop to inspect them  every month or so is showing an excellent sense of responsibility by them as careful visual inspections will pick up any undue wear early enough to take remedial action but more importantly, will help them determine if you have an ongoing problem and hopefully how to fix it. Much better to do this for a few months than to get to 30,000 klms and find you're up for another set with no explanation as to why.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Get the alignment checked at a dedicated tyre shop and see if they say the same, my bet is Hyundai aren't aligning correctly, my Hyundai service centre here wasn't doing it correctly but West State Tyres got it right.
@CraigB , my understanding from the OP is that he has been to a dedicated tyre shop for the alignment.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@CraigB , my understanding from the OP is that he has been to a dedicated tyre shop for the alignment.
Ok then, I misread :-[

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
My original Hankooks have done 41k km, all four worn on the inside too, but enough thread left to go the season out. By the time I have them replaced before summer tire season next year they will probably have lasted me 50k km.  :Good_luck:

I had an alignment done at a proper rubber shop and boy was it off by a lot! I'm thinking the factory might not be very good at doing the alignments or the dealers are supposed to have it done prior to delivery.
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Besides the excessive wear on the inside edge of the tyres can you please detail what depth is still showing for the middle and outer edge for each tyre?

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline rex

• 1st Gear

• nz New Zealand
      CROMWELL Central Otago

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal