i30 Owners Club

Service or not to service?

Offline mentalboy1

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hi,

I am after some advise please. I bought my I-30 a year ago now and only done 4k miles. When I bought it it had a service as part of deal in buying it. Is there any point in servicing it with little millage done? I am in two minds whether its worth it this year and do next year, there are no issues with the car and it runs lovely. Thinking if its not broke don't fix it? I got to MOT the car soon anyway which will bring anything up not aware of.

Thanks in advance.
  • i30 Hatchback 1.4 petrol manual 2009 dark grey

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Check the logbook details. Servicings tend to fall due at mileage or time, whichever occurs FIRST. Your decision to skip a servicing may void your warranty.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Check the logbook details. Servicings tend to fall due at mileage or time, whichever occurs FIRST. Your decision to skip a servicing may void your warranty.
It's a 2009 model.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Just like mine. So it's a question of whether you want to maintain it to logbook standard for resale or peace of mind or not. The decision is entirely yours. Just be aware that fluids tend to degrade over time even when not in heavy use.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
With so few miles in such a long time, most definitely change the oil and filter. You're more likely to have issues than something in daily use and high mileage. Having to change it only once a year, you are lucky.  :spitty:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline mentalboy1

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Thanks all ! I have decided to book it in for an interim service so fluids are topped up and changed.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks all ! I have decided to book it in for an interim service so fluids are topped up and changed.

Good move, it only needs to be a basic service as you say. Just oil and oil filter and and an inspection /top up of other filters and fluids. Probably just use a local mechanic with a good reputation to save a bit of money. Supplying your own filters and oil bought online or on special may save you even more.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Are you uk based?

If so check the hy uk web site for their service and mot package for circa  £140.

When i did mine in may it included foc 12 months AA full breakdown cover
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline mentalboy1

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Yes I'm in the UK, thanks for that I booked it with service stop having an interim service and MOT for £85.00 with 12 months warranty on parts and they pick up and return car to you. I could have had full service for extra £40 but don't need a full one and need to save the pennies lol. Plus I have breakdown cover already.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Yes I'm in the UK, thanks for that I booked it with service stop having an interim service and MOT for £85.00 with 12 months warranty on parts and they pick up and return car to you. I could have had full service for extra £40 but don't need a full one and need to save the pennies lol. Plus I have breakdown cover already.
That is cheap give mot full cost is £54.

Just hope they don't try to load the cost re mot work!
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal