i30 Owners Club

2015 i30 activex - engine ticking noise

Cmb21 · 5 · 10288

Offline Cmb21

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can confirm if a ticking noise on the i30 is normal before i start getting involved with the dealer as i know they like to send people away with a "its perfectly normal".

2015 active x petrol with 35000kms, serviced as per log book intervals. I checked fluids to make sure it wasnt because of low oil level and i was a bit suprised that 5000km after the service the oil level is actually above the full line.

Anyway i started the car on my parents driveway which is a decent downward slope to it and there was a very noticable tick (even from inside the car). My dad immediately mentioned hydraulic lifters.

I havent been able to replicate that loud tick but when i have the bonnet open and car idling it has a very fast ticking sound, not enough to hear from in the car as the engine has always been very quiet on idle. It does this even when warm so i dont believe it to be a 'the oil needs to warm up' issue. And i honestly dont remember it having this fast tick previously.

Thanks
  • 2015 i30 ActiveX

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
G'Day Cmb21,

:i30:

I have a 2016 X and it has made similar sound a couple of times recently on start up when cold.
Thought it came from drivers side of engine ?
30kkm service due by Xmas , will be raised then.
Sure one of our tech guys will be along when they can.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcumwagon: Cmb21,

There have been a few reports check out these threads... The 1st one is for the 2.0 in the previous model (my wifes old car) I think some of the others are your GD model though.

Might give you some helpful info. At least you've got plenty of warranty left.

:link: TrishCW - Noisy Tappets? in 2.0 Petrol CW

:link: Strange Sound

:link: This is a new noise is it normal

:link: Weird noise on startup :(
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Thanks for digging those out Dazz.  :winker:
The last one sounds like my issue. 
I'll take it to a dealer for the 30kkm service. Better book in early so I can get a loaner.  :mrgreen:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Cmb21

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Unfortunately none of those match my issue. The engine sounds normal with a fast ticking noise over the top
  • 2015 i30 ActiveX

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal