i30 Owners Club

Knocking Sound Front Right Wheel Area (New Owner)

Offline Rob-i30Turbo

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Buckinghamshire
Hi All

Bought a second hand i30 Turbo about 3 weeks ago but due to other commitments it has sat mostly on the drive and have only done about 150 miles in it since collection (22,000 when bought)

I noticed a knocking sound coming from the driver-side front wheel area last night when driving home and was just wondering if anyone's had anything similar.

Knocking noise rises and falls to match road speed and the brakes and engine seem unaffected so I hope (for sake of cost) that something has just come loose or a wheel bearing needs replacing.

Car was in good nick when collected from Hyundai and has been seemingly well looked after by previous owner (way more servicing/maintenance in log book than required) so I think North Buckinghamshire's abundance of potholes might have claimed another victim.

Thanks in advance!  :victory:
  • 2015 i30 Turbo, 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6 T-GDI Manual, Black

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi All

Bought a second hand i30 Turbo about 3 weeks ago but due to other commitments it has sat mostly on the drive and have only done about 150 miles in it since collection (22,000 when bought)

I noticed a knocking sound coming from the driver-side front wheel area last night when driving home and was just wondering if anyone's had anything similar.

Knocking noise rises and falls to match road speed and the brakes and engine seem unaffected so I hope (for sake of cost) that something has just come loose or a wheel bearing needs replacing.

Car was in good nick when collected from Hyundai and has been seemingly well looked after by previous owner (way more servicing/maintenance in log book than required) so I think North Buckinghamshire's abundance of potholes might have claimed another victim.

Thanks in advance!  :victory:

I think I'd rather it not be a wheel bearing. Could be a range of things.

faulty strut
worn strut mount
sway bar links
sway bar bushes
ball joint
tie-rod and or end
Broken spring
Steering rack
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Let Hyundai have a look... It's what that warranty is for.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Rob-i30Turbo

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Buckinghamshire
Thanks guys, will be giving them a call at lunch.

As a side note, are Hyundai typically sticky when it comes to warranty?

I ask as my previous car left me arguing with Renault whenever something came up and had them trying to duck out of any obligation to provide the work under warranty. The impression I've had from Hyundai is overwhelmingly positive so far though, first dealership that actually seems like they want to help rather than just help you send a few thousand pounds their way!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks guys, will be giving them a call at lunch.

As a side note, are Hyundai typically sticky when it comes to warranty?

I ask as my previous car left me arguing with Renault whenever something came up and had them trying to duck out of any obligation to provide the work under warranty. The impression I've had from Hyundai is overwhelmingly positive so far though, first dealership that actually seems like they want to help rather than just help you send a few thousand pounds their way!

Varies a bit dealership to dealership, but when it comes to the crunch I believe Hyundai are one of the best at honouring their warranty obligations.

If they try to give you the runaround stand your ground and come back to us.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Is car less than 5years old or is it sold with hy/dealer warranty?

As shambles say, If either then just let them check it out.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Is car less than 5years old

I guess you can't see Rob-i30Turbo's signature...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Have you run over a cat??

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Rob-i30Turbo

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Buckinghamshire
There's actually been a bit of a spate of cats getting run over where I live but I don't think I'm responsible for any!

As for the knocking noise; my partner commutes with the car Monday-Friday and has said that she hasn't heard the noise since I noticed it on Monday evening. Booked in at the dealership next week anyway so they can give it a once over, it's a remarkably good condition example of a very rare model in the UK so I'm keen to keep it in the best condition possible.

Thanks again for all the help, will update if/when the dealership finds the cause of the noise

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal