Hyundai Kona - Review & Test Drive

Guest · 19 · 5018

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Nice honest review.  I have driven the base model with the same engine. I'm booked to drive the turbo AWD model on Thursday afternoon and weather permitting I'll do a video to share on the weekend.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Tassie Craig

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Tasmania

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hyundai were doing so well on the styling front.....Think this one is a miss....

When is the Kia version coming out?

There arn't too many visual clues here....

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@beerman

I'll see if this works, from bumpkin via FB

:link: New Kia Stonic Small SUV 2017 | Kia Motors UK

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Apparantly were not getting the Stonic

:link: 2018 Kia Stonic revealed, not coming to Australia

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hyundai were doing so well on the styling front.....Think this one is a miss
Personally I love the look of the Kona, very modern and classy :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Apparantly were not getting the Stonic

:link: 2018 Kia Stonic revealed, not coming to Australia

Good, I can say I prefer the styling of the Stonic without getting in trouble.   :snigger:

Although I like the interior of the Kona better.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Not overly happy with the video I got during my drive of the Turbo version. Who is that old Ba$tard driving and walking around that nifty little SUV!  :crazy1:

I will cobble together a video review in due course covering mainly the stuff not covered by the several detailed reviews that have recently been released. Perhaps the best and most comprehensive so far is this one by "Autoexpert" John Cadogan (including a short follow up)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Anyway, without repeating what John has said here are my thoughts on the two models I drove in no particular order.

Firstly, anyone who has driven a new i30 SR (any flavour) might be a little underwhelmed by the Kona. Compared to other small SUVs including the better ones like the Honda HRV and the Toyota CH-R it stacks up well, but the PD i30 is a hard act to follow unless you need the 4WD capability or the slight extra height.

The 2.0 petrol motor in the base model I drove which can be optioned in any of the model levels only comes with front wheel drive at a considerable cost saving. If you don't need 4WD it is more than adequate but not quite as "torquey" up hills as the 2.0 GDi motor in the base i30.

Although the base Active only has a simpler, non independent rear suspension, I was impressed with the ride quality and the handling was fine but less controlled than the i30. There is a bit more body roll and compliance as you would expect from an SUV. I was particularly impressed with the way it handled speed humps. With the higher profile (60 series) tyres on 16" alloys it was certainly more compliant than my SR (18" 40 series) tyres.

I found the interior of the base model a bit bland and dark despite some lighter inserts in the seats. I think I have gotten used to the red highlights in my SR and the lime green highlights in the other version I drove certainly give the interior a lift. They are an acquired taste, but I quite like them.

I am a fan of most white cars, but with the excess of plastic cladding I think the Kona looks much better in bright colours and better still with the black gloss roof option.

The boot is a good size for a small SUV at 361 litres and like my SR you can set the boot floor a couple of inches lower for another few litres of capacity although there is a bigger angled step down than in my SR as a result (and you have to ditch a foam tray which you don't get in the i30)

Provided you have a smartphone that supports Android Auto or Apple car play, the absence of GPS navigation in any model isn't really an issue.

Even the 2.0 petrol matches the Honda HRV and Toyota CH-R (both of which I have recently driven) for performance. The 6 speed auto was smooth changing and responsive enough for me.

Both Kona's I drove felt very well screwed together and solid on the road (as does the new i30)

Now for the 1.6 turbo / 4wd version. I drove a Launch edition, which is an optioned up Active with the addition of the safety pack, Gloss Black Roof and Mirrors, 18" Hylander Alloys etc..

The performance engine option certainly puts the Kona at the pointy end performance wise as far as small SUV's go. If you can justify the extra cost, the Launch edition is a nice compromise feature wise. I did miss the keyless entry and push button start of my last 4 cars. The word is the Elite model which is one step above what I drove might be the sweet spot (although the Hylander wheels are by far the dressiest of the three choices)

The ride on 18 inch wheels is still acceptable, although introduces more road noise and a slightly choppier ride as would be expected.

From my experience and other information I have seen, despite the lack of stop start technology the DCT transmission enables the new Hyundai's to get closer to the ADR fuel figures on the window sticker than most other brands using conventional Autos.

I think the Kona rounds out the Hyundai range nicely, but those who don't need the 4WD functionality or the extra height need to drive a new i30 as well.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Who did you get to do the middle age fat barstard test Dazz?

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I think it's hard to like the front of this car, been hit with an ugly stick.
but I also thought the fd i30 was ugly when I first bought one, and they look ok, now. but the gd looks a lot nicer & the pd looks nicer too, but all Hyundai's seem to be styled on other brands.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I think it's hard to like the front of this car, been hit with an ugly stick.
but I also thought the fd i30 was ugly when I first bought one, and they look ok, now. but the gd looks a lot nicer & the pd looks nicer too, but all Hyundai's seem to be styled on other brands.

The Kona is like the new PD it looks a lot better in the flesh. It needs bright colors and the contrasting black roof though to look it's best. Looks pretty crap  in the base model, particularly in white in my opinion.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

He didn't ask me.  I thought I was the obvious choice?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

He didn't ask me.  I thought I was the obvious choice?

Bugger I missed an opportunity there!  :crazy1: :rofl:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I had a look at the Kona when I was in the local dealership the other day (I was actually checking out the Veloster Turbo).  My initial thought were that it looked good, but small and not a proper 4wd (limited off road capability).  My thoughts were that I would rather have the new i30 if I was to have a choice between the two. 

At the moment, the Veloster has my money.  Well, it would if I was in the market for a new Hyundai.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I had a look at the Kona when I was in the local dealership the other day (I was actually checking out the Veloster Turbo).  My initial thought were that it looked good, but small and not a proper 4wd (limited off road capability).  My thoughts were that I would rather have the new i30 if I was to have a choice between the two. 

At the moment, the Veloster has my money.  Well, it would if I was in the market for a new Hyundai.

Isn't the PD SR Premium about line ball price wise with the Turbo Veloster? I would have thought the i30 being slightly newer platform with slightly more features and a more practical body would be the better buy? They have a non turbo Veloster in Devonport for about $32,500! Seeing I only paid around $31K for my SR with turbo, I reckon that's crazy!

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
The Veloster was $31,585 drive away with the DCT auto with premium paint (not the matte).  Not too bad.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The Veloster was $31,585 drive away with the DCT auto with premium paint (not the matte).  Not too bad.

No wonder they can't sell the non turbo here!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal