i30 Owners Club

How do i remove "Sunscreen" above instrument cluster, GD from 2016

Guest · 11 · 3551

guest9517
Hi

As stated in subject...I have received a new instrument cluster with color-display, (I now there can be topics about milage & so on ;-) )

Most cars with sunvisor above instrument cluster has got 1-2 screws, but on mine, no screws or obvious other stuff to loosen to remove it så i can get to the 2 screws that hols the instrument cluster on top.

Does it just need brute force pulling or? (often things that are clipped together needs forces  thats close to breaking-point & wouldnt really like to break it off instead.)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :eek: don't try brute force until you get a definitive answer! I would suspect hidden screws accessible after removing something else...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
This might be another nice upgrade @ChipMIK  is the colour cluster replacing the standard version? are they a direct plug and play swap over?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
By the way, you could search You Tube for how to remove instrument binacle in GD i30... try a few different combinations of words...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
yea or images. i tried this morning. I'm thinking the insert clips in, then the lowerpanel may need removal, that should expose the cluster screws and/or clips  from there may be you'll work it out,  But @nzenigma  dabbles in these a bit so chances are he's removed a cluster or two in the GD.

I went looking at the parts break down , did not see any screws but I think I'd prefer to find a manual. Can't help.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
As she said,NZ has done it but the dementia forces him to go and look at the parts bin. He shall appear tomorrow with better news. :evil:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

guest9517
Thanks all :-)

I have checked Youtube..But this little detail to i cant find anywhere, no matter what my serach-criterias are. So would be wonderful if you could find out NZ   :goodjob:

It is indeed to replace the standard version dashboard...& for 80£ i had to give it a shot  :winker:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Meanwhile brain in gear and can now remember that I was a bit perplexed at first. The Koreans explain it badly.

You have a cover over the hood frame. That needs to be removed first. I used a piece of sheet metal with the end bent at right angle. I put masking tape over it to protect the cover. Slide it behind and pull. No screws.

When that is removed you can get at the screws securing the frame.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Meanwhile brain in gear and can now remember that I was a bit perplexed at first. The Koreans explain it badly.

You have a cover over the hood frame. That needs to be removed first. I used a piece of sheet metal with the end bent at right angle. I put masking tape over it to protect the cover. Slide it behind and pull. No screws.

When that is removed you can get at the screws securing the frame.

Gee, I explained so well, not a bad guess on my part, no images no idea, no experience.

Nice one Gary.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

guest9517
Thank you SO much to both of you  :goodjob2: :goodjob: That really saved my day  :winker: Will be playing around with it during the weekend & see how colourful i can get it & get back with results  :snigger:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Will be playing around with it during the weekend & see how colourful i can get it & get back with results  :snigger:
I'm keen to see the results ChipMik :goodjob2:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal