i30 Owners Club

i30 2010 Auto rattling when stopped in gear

Offline AshtonM00

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London
Hi there,

I am new to this forum so forgive me if this post is in the wrong place!

We picked up a 2010 i30 Auto Comfort 1.6 a week or so ago. The car has 40k miles on it & seems to drive nicely. There is 1 thing I am concerned about & that is, when stopped with foot on the brake in either D or R, you will hear a rattling from the engine & feel a very subtle vibration. Once the car starts moving this goes away, as does it if you shift the car into N. It drives perfectly otherwise.

I have done a bit of reading & many people point to worn engine mounts, which matches the symptoms, but the difference is they say you would only notice a vibration in D & not R if it was engine mounts? Other information I found points to the torque converter with many people saying in certain 4-cyl engines this can be normal?

The health check from the Hyundai dealership says fluids were checked but I am wondering if it could be the ATF fluid which may need a change? I can confirm that the engine oil has been changed & is at an acceptable level (I checked it before I purchased & after & it had clearly been changed).

My mechanics are next to my office & they had a quick look & said it seems just like the car simply wants to pull off & seems normal but with all the other auto's I have owned or driven I have never heard a distinct rattling when it is pushing to go but being held back by the brakes. They likely didn't hear the rattling as their yard was noisy  & I didn't point it out, I merely said at the time it feels like it vibrates a bit - only after showing them did I notice the rattle was more noticeable when you step out of the vehicle.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! A bit concerned it's a transmission issue!

Ash
  • i30 Comfort 1.6 auto 2010

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Ashton,

If it was a manual I would say it was the thrust or throw-out bearing. Not sure what if any bearings an auto has though.

Is there any hesitation when you select drive or reverse? It would be worth checking the condition and level of the transmission fluid.

I'm no expert on auto transmissions, but we have tech heads that do.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AshtonM00

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London
Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I had a bad thrust bearing in a manual once which made a similar but much louder noise. I will check the ATF fluid when I have a sec. It's my wife's car & she has it daily! The car engages gear absolutely fine - no hesitation or slipping or heavy jolts or anything. It "appears" fine other than the unnerving noise & slight subtle feedback.

Ash

Offline AshtonM00

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London
Hi - just letting you know this is sorted! It was the bonnet rattling! Nothing serious after all! phew.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Hi - just letting you know this is sorted! It was the bonnet rattling! Nothing serious after all! phew.
who found that?

hope not garage @££££ rate
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline AshtonM00

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London
My garage found the problem - known them 10+ years though & they are next to my office, no charge or anything. I didn't really troubleshoot it myself as automatically (no pun intended) assumed it was a more serious issue!

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Great service,
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal